Is This a Good Computer Buy?

GoldenMotor.com

Michigan Mike

Dec 9, 2008
Michigan
My faithful old desk top computer of the past 6 or 7 years finally got a virus and I just replaced it with my first lap top.

The salesman at Wallyworld said I got a great buy for $398 ... but, of course, I'd like to run it by you guys. The specs are below. I'd really appreciate some input on whether or not this is a good deal while I can still take it back. So far I'm very happy with it but I haven't got it out of "first gear" yet.

Compaq Presario CQ62-209WM Notebook PC
AMD Athlon II Dual-Core Processor P320 (2.1 GHz, 1MB L2 Cache)
Genuine Windows & Home Premium (64 bit)
3 GB DDR3 system memory
250GB (7200 RPM) hard drive
LightScribe SuperMulit 8X DVD R/RW with double layer support
15.6" HP brightview Led Display
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250 Graphics
802.11b/g/h wireless LAN
High Speed 56K Modem
6-cell Li-ton battery
$398 + tax

Thanks.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
That guts to it don't sound bad. It will run nicely with the new windows 7. Can't say I have not followed the Compaq Presario lately. 6 cell battery pack might run down quicker than the 12 cell variety's. Just guessing at this point. I prolly would have bought it. I think you did good(^)

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I love collecting folks older computers and refurbishing them with Linux Ubuntu . Earlier versions of windows with all the programs bell and whistles so to speak used to much resources. The Windows 7 OS has been I lot less of a cpu hog I am pretty impressed with it.

I can make some of them older computers run real good with Linux and have the bells and whistles too.[They use less cpu resources to do the same job] It was a pain for me to learn but I am fluent with it now . Linux has come a long way in the last two years.

There is a neat trick with the Linux. loading the OS onto the hard drive formatting over the old windows install magically orphans out all the icky virus's. They were targeting a windows OS.. Might try it in your spar time. Just a thought. Here's a link..

Download | Ubuntu

Just download it make an ISO onto a cd/dvd. Load it in the tray and give it a go.
CPU prolly needs a bit of Amazon.com: Arctic Silver Matrix 2.5g Thixotropic Thermal Grease CPU Heat Sink…

Last edited:

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
A computer question!
Though I am into MB's these days, I still have and operate my Elite Computers business I started back in 1983, for you youngsters that was shortly after IBM came out with the first standardized hardware configuration and the "IBM Compatible" DOS OS based parts became available.
My faithful old desk top computer of the past 6 or 7 years finally got a virus and I just replaced it with my first lap top.
The salesman at Wallyworld said I got a great buy for $398 ...
Where to start I have much to offer on this topic....

This a 'great buy' FRYS.com*|*Hp/Compaq
That Win7 64 bit so it will use ALL the memory you put in it, and not ignore it after about 3MB.

And so is this I just took a pic of from the Fry's Electronics newspaper ad...

I can't even buy the PARTS, let alone the OS for that let alone try to make any money building it!
In short Desktops are DIRT CHEAP now.

The question you have to ask yourself is, do you really need to carry your computer around with you?

If not, the difference between a desktop and a laptop is like that of real home phone and a cell phone.
The latter of both are expensive to buy, easy to break, and expensive to repair or upgrade.

As for you virus problem you don't have to try to rid it from the hard drive via the system it is on, just pull the drive and hook it up to clean system with tools as a slave and fix it there.
I routinely do that for $45.
You can't do that with a laptop for less than $100 and I won't even open a laptop up to try anymore.

Granted a 6-7 year old box needs replacing just for the speed factor, but an easy fix or even upgrade where you will be lucky to get 3-4 years out of a laptop even if you don't break it.

If I were you I would race back to return that laptop.
You can pull the drive out of 'old reliable' and pop it in a new desktop as a slave, virus scan it, and still have all your old data on the new box.

Then again, even though you are here so good with your hands building MB's, opening up a PC might be intimidating to you. Don't be. They are a lot safer and easier to work on than an MB, and your hands don't get dirty.

Then again I am the kind of guy that hasn't even used a PC case for years.

But that's just me ;-}

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley
Hi Mike

If it's not straining your budget, it's a good deal. It's got all the specs you're gonna need and then some. Laptops have stayed right at that $400 price point (except for deals like black Friday and such) for a good while, thing is you getting more bang for your buck now. Two years ago a lappy with those specs would have been $800. If you use a computer mainly for surfing the web, email and word processing, you should be good for a few years. Unless you wanted to go for a smaller netbook (now commonly found for around $300) you're not hurting yourself with that deal.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
You will not need anti virus its not an issue with Linux 99.9% seams to be for windows. Just clear cookies out and occasionally reboot . If'n you wanna try it its considerably faster than windows. Something to play with any how that's how I got started. Kinda like these Hobbies.

CoConutXpress

Apr 7, 2010
Hawaii
That is one awesome setup. I was into PCs all my life and I had a natural talent to rebuild them. I used the computers I had and bought computers from garage sales and took them all apart and made the best of the best PC from peices. It was really fun making a faster one. I load 2000 into all of them (either that or 98SE) cause thats all I have, and right now I have my laptop stock HP Pavilion dv6000 series with some extra RAM. It came with Vista and I hated it, thought RAM would help, but nope, this little $500 PC just couldn't take Vista so I upgraded to 7.....OMFG! It is a beast, now I have an abundance of RAM and olny use half of it at a time. LOL Superfast and no freezing up anymore. Then I have a Mac G3 Gray, can't use it without the right screen but it's cool, a newly rebuilt "CoConutXpress" PC with 2000 on it. Use about 18-40% of CPU and about 15% of my 2 gigs of RAM. It's got 7 fans on it, Front, 2 Sides, GPU, CPU, PSU, and Rear, this thing is LOUD, and it also has a side intake for the CPU. 400 watt GPU, 32 MB GPU, AMD CPU, USBs all around, 2 HDDs, 1 CDR, 1 CDP, Floppy. This is all coming from my mind while its sitting at home, and I'm here in CO. Also have an old iMac all in one screenand all, blue and white, it's cool but I have no need for it. I have my first PC that my grandpa made along with my uncle Jim (before he died) and it runs on DOS or Windows 3. LOL, it was fun to mess with, it has one fan, PSU, back then the CPUs were not powerful enough to produce large amounts of heat. I also have a bunch of parts laying around, OH! one more a HP Desktop, a little tiny one, and I am almost bored enough to build another PC. LOL KCvale, I love your PC, I can really appreciate it! You know that have these cases that are open, http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/product.php?id=NzA0
I think that would be fun to own. I'm glad this thread popped up, thanks.

Best Wishes,
CoConutXpress

Last edited:

TheE

Jun 26, 2009
Canada
Ooh, computers. I don't have over a decade of experience like some people here seem to, but I fix people's computers for beer/microcontroller money. Thought I'd share some of what I've experienced with laptops:

-Laptops use a proprietary motherboard, meaning if it happens to fail, you're stuck ordering a new one from the manufacturer. Usually a busted motherboard is nature's way of telling you you need a new PC, but if you happen to get a lemon and it's out of warranty, you'll probably end up replacing the laptop as these boards are more expensive than their desktop counterparts.

-Laptops are assembled/disassembled in a certain order. Getting to parts deep in the system will take a bit longer than with a desktop, so expect to pay more for some repairs. That being said, accessing some parts like the hard disk involves removing all of one screw (finding said screw when you're done is a different story :p).

-Thermal management is the unsung hero of laptops, and I find this is where box-mart brands tend to come up short. Most box-mart laptops I've ripped apart had their vents all clogged up with dust, whereas the more expensive Lenovo ones didn't. This just means more care on your part- don't set it down in dusty areas, and consider getting it dusted out every 1-2 years or so, depending on use.

-Portability is awesome, nothing like being able to surf the web during commercials!

I think you got a very good machine for the price. 7200 RPM hard disks are rare in laptops and will make everything run faster. Try not to shake it around while using it though, hard disks don't like that-especially 7200 RPM ones.

And that's my 2 cents =]

Last edited:

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
You will not need anti virus its not an issue with Linux 99.9% seams to be for windows. Just clear cookies out and occasionally reboot . If'n you wanna try it its considerably faster than windows. Something to play with any how that's how I got started. Kinda like these Hobbies.
It's called security though obscurity. laff

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley
-Thermal management is the unsung hero of laptops, and I find this is where box-mart brands tend to come up short. Most box-mart laptops I've ripped apart had their vents all clogged up with dust, whereas the more expensive Lenovo ones didn't. This just means more care on your part- don't set it down in dusty areas, and consider getting it dusted out every 1-2 years or so, depending on use.
Absolutely. In my opinion, heat is a large contributing factor in component failure. At the very least one can use a cooler (though frankly I don't like the pancake models usually sold) and try to operate the laptop in as cool an environment as possible. Just by elevating them on blocks off the table or desk surface an inch or two does great things to allow air circulation.

Also, here's a little freeware program I use that is great to install to monitor core temps:
Core Temp
Takes up very little space and runs nicely in the background with proper configuration.

One more thing, and it may be beyond what many will feel comfortable doing, but I open the bottom case to access the cooling fan at least once a month on my laptops to clean out the dust ( as TheE mentioned) built up at the heatsink.

omegaunderground

Sep 16, 2009
modesto
I have had quite a few laptops in my time. I think the specs on the machine you listed are pretty decent for the price your paying. I would advise you to contact the manufacturer after purchasing, and adding an extended warranty through the manufacturer and not through Wal-Mart. I bought my Acer aspire 8930G through Newegg.com and they offered a 3yr on top of the default 1 year for 299$.... I declined and when the laptop arrived, I registered it with Acer and bought the 3 year warranty through Acer for 80$.

Michigan Mike

Dec 9, 2008
Michigan
Thanks for the cooler tip Kevlar ... once again you save the day!

HappyValley ... I'll look into the program later tonight. Sounds like a good download. Will also see what's involved in removing the back so I can de-dust the outfit. I vac my old desk top out now and then an it's amazing how much "fuzz" comes out ... plus the computer stops those weird sounds afterwards!

Omegaunderground ... appreciate the advice ... I usually pass when the salesmen offer extended warranties on things but this time I said yes when I bought the computer. It cost $50 for 2 years coverage which takes effect after the 1 year manufacturer warranty expires. So I guess I'm covered for 3 years. This seems relatively cheap and I suppose it's too late to switch horses now anyway.

Thanks much guys ... great to have so many smart friends! (^)
Mike

Last edited:

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
That is one awesome setup.
LOL KCvale, I love your PC, I can really appreciate it!
Thanks Coconut, it does turn some heads ;-}
One quick note before I move on, please use some paragraph breaks in your posts, they sure make it easier for people to read ;-}

Most of service work I do these days is virus removal/data recovery.
On a desktop I just pop the drive out and hook it up to mine in seconds and run my arsenal of tools on it.
If it's on it's last leg and I just need data I have that kick butt 'all but bluray' optical drive to save it to.

You computer guys might really like my Elite Computers web site.
It has a forum and special MY PC part to it, this is MY PC topic there.

Again though, if you don't need a laptop, get a desktop.
It will save you a lot of grief and money for years to come again ;-}