Where to find 3/8 axle long enough to fit motorcycle forks?

GoldenMotor.com

skitchfish

Oct 27, 2010
Michigan
To be more clear, the hub cones on a quality disk hub fit the threading of the harris axle where the axle did not thread on walmart front hub.

skitchfish

Oct 27, 2010
Michigan
Awesome! I think drum is the way to go on a suspension fork. I've got a blown left fork seal and some very expensive hydraulic brakes that don't work because they have fork oil all over the disc. lol I think testing my brakes heavily blew out my fork seal and also loosened up my headset. If you have real heavy forks your going to want to install headset or triple trees with cone wrench not just a pipe wrench. Doesn't seem like it would make a diff but it does.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
What I really like about these forks is that they have studs for drums. Of course, there may be some modification involved in making a bicycle drum arm fit a motorcycle fork stud, but I'll figure it out.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I'm not positive because I haven't taken my wheel off yet to check, but I think my hub has sealed bearings. If it does, I should be able to go to Home Depot and buy a long stainless steel bolt and some spacers. That will probably be a lot cheaper than ordering an axle that might not be long enough anyway.

skitchfish

Oct 27, 2010
Michigan
This is not with attitude but, if you use a chinese bolt for an axle, stainless or not, your going to get hurt. They use chromoly for a reason, you can bend a 3/8 x 7" chinese bolt with one hand in a vice.

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
A bolt will not work with that hub. I have an axel and a worksman front hub. 10x1 cro moly and the axel is a different thread. From what I see you have to find an axel that will take all the hardware from the worksman hub and also make some spacers to fill the void. I have attached a picture from the package of the axel that I have that shows what's available. I will try to do some research and let you know BBB

Last edited by a moderator:

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Well, its a no-go on the long steel bolt anyway. The Worksman hub does not have sealed bearings. They are pressed on and have cones. ccc, I'll appreciate any help you can throw my way on the matter.

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
Well, its a no-go on the long steel bolt anyway. The Worksman hub does not have sealed bearings. They are pressed on and have cones. ccc, I'll appreciate any help you can throw my way on the matter.
Maybe you could have a rod cut and drilled / threaded for the end of the axle. So you would have a thread female end and a threaded male end that could extend the axle ends.

How it would work is you thread it on to the axle end and the male thread end would go through the forks. Hope this makes sense to you.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I'm taking my axle to a garage or some place that has a pitch gauge to make sure of the size and pitch before ordering. I found a 9.5x26x187 for $14, and a 10x1x187 for $22. Want to make sure so I dont order the wrong thing.

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
I'm taking my axle to a garage or some place that has a pitch gauge to make sure of the size and pitch before ordering. I found a 9.5x26x187 for $14, and a 10x1x187 for $22. Want to make sure so I dont order the wrong thing.
You could also take your axle nut to Lowes and go to their hardware isle then test it out on some different bolts they have there.