just got pulled over by the fuzz. how many watts is a 50cc

GoldenMotor.com

boz_m

Aug 30, 2009
Australia
Hey guys. cops just pulled me over. they said that my engine is totally illegal and wanted to let me off with a warning. i should have left it there.

i pushed that in the state of NSW, you do not need registration for a motor vehicle if the output of the engine is less than 200 watts (which is true). They said that they had studied the subject (complete bollocks) and said that anything with a motor is illegal. In the end, i agreed with them (i also didnt have a helmet as i was just taking it for a test drive so a warning was fine for me).

When i got home i checked it out and indeed, anything under 200 watts is legal.

I was however totally bluffing about my 50cc being under 200 watts though.

My question, how many watts is a 50cc engine and is it street legal here in Aus?

Cheers, Boz

stv1jzgte

Feb 11, 2009
australia
Hey guys. cops just pulled me over. they said that my engine is totally illegal and wanted to let me off with a warning. i should have left it there.

i pushed that in the state of NSW, you do not need registration for a motor vehicle if the output of the engine is less than 200 watts (which is true). They said that they had studied the subject (complete bollocks) and said that anything with a motor is illegal. In the end, i agreed with them (i also didnt have a helmet as i was just taking it for a test drive so a warning was fine for me).

When i got home i checked it out and indeed, anything under 200 watts is legal.

I was however totally bluffing about my 50cc being under 200 watts though.

My question, how many watts is a 50cc engine and is it street legal here in Aus?

Cheers, Boz

Dude where are you? im in sydney and have been riding for 6months now and have managed to keep under the radar so to speek, tough wood.
It is true that 200watts is now the legal limit (soon to be 250watts) in nsw. Years ago 50cc was the limit and strangely some police and public think it still is.
1 hp = 745watts, my 48cc dyno'd at 2.2hp so 1500watts (at the wheel) would not be far of
When im riding i have to be alert for cars and cops, see em start pedalin.
Wear a helmet and get some lights try not to be to crazy on the road and they wont care.

Sydneysider

Mar 20, 2009
Sydney
been riding in Sydney for over 3 years, all that time about 50 cops must have seen me ride only 2 have stopped me to check out my bike about 2 years ago.. to be legal the spark at the plug needs to be modded so that the motor outputs about 197watts.. just be careful like stv1jzgte said and theyll leave you alone.. auflg

Last edited:

spad4me

Jan 20, 2008
Arizona Bullhead
Take the easy out.
Get a number punch set or borrow one for a few minutes and Imprint something like.

194 Watts

And maybe
NSW CERTIFIED
( insert name of city state township whatever ) certified.

on the side of the engine

wildemere

Feb 12, 2008
Newcastle
The watt (symbol: W) is a derived unit of power in the International System of Units (SI). It measures rate of energy conversion. One watt is equivalent to 1 joule (J) of energy per second.

In terms of mechanical energy, one watt is the rate at which work is done when an object is moved at a speed of one meter per second against a force of one newton.

foureasy

Jul 9, 2009
tucson
NO At max you have 197 watts. I dont see these little chinese engines producing 3 real horse power. Im no expert but my neighbors I have ridden which got me on this whole trip does NOT produce 3 HP. BUT I am at 7,000 feet. Even at 197 Watts thats still under the 200 watt maximum so you are legal. Period.

whaaaaaaaa?

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
I live in Memphis Tn and had a cop tell me once "Yea, that's less than 50cc's and you don't even need a drivers license for that."
I didn't bother to tell him he was wrong on both accounts.

bugoutbike

Aug 28, 2009
Nevada
I live in Memphis Tn and had a cop tell me once "Yea, that's less than 50cc's and you don't even need a drivers license for that."
I didn't bother to tell him he was wrong on both accounts.

Here in Nevada its anything 50cc and under. No drivers license or registration needed.

Last edited:

stv1jzgte

Feb 11, 2009
australia
I really think halve of you are still confused as i stated earler 1 hp = 745 watts mine makes 2.2 hp and its 50cc if you think the 80cc wont make 3hp your deluded! regardless there 1500-2500 watts nuff said

These are illegal in this state. if you really think the individual can arm themselves with a copy of the law which again states they are illegal and politly say "no sir there legal" your gunna see the back of a paddy wagon real fast.
Police Prosecutors are not stupid have been down this path hundreds of times
If i can Dyno my bike and find what power it makes who's to say they wont.

this is the short story of the guy down the road who got pulled over riding his 50cc bike.
He got fined unregisterd, uninsured, not paying road tax about $1500 he cannot get a licence to drive a car untill all the fines are paid im sure he's still arguing about it.

So in short there illegal to ride, so i keep low and quiet an safe and my eyes open!