Is my cylinder in bad shape?

GoldenMotor.com

fischer550

Mar 24, 2014
Fort Collins, CO
So I have attatched a few pics of my cylinder. The first pic show light scratching, not deep enough to catch a fingernail though, and the third picture shows a big brown mark in the cylinder. Is my cylinder done for, or is this normal? I am still in the break in period running 16:1 gas/oil.

Attachments

Last edited:

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
Looks OK from here, your photos are a bit blurry.
16 to 1 is incorrect.
25 to 1 is the very most oil I would run, and only for one tank.
But use good oil!
others opinions on break in may differ.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Looks OK from here, your photos are a bit blurry.
16 to 1 is incorrect.
25 to 1 is the very most oil I would run, and only for one tank.
But use good oil!
others opinions on break in may differ.
Ditto:

Ignore the kit instructions about oil mix ratio. 16:1 is too much oil. Drop your oil content to at least Theon's 25:1 recommendation.
Break in procedures are as varied as the people who build and ride motorized bicycles. You'll need to do some reading here and decide for yourself what works for you.
Good luck.

Be careful reassembling the piston back into the cylinder. There's a trick to it.

Tom

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I agree. 16:1 is far too much oil. I run 40:1 right from the start, but 32:1 is fine as well. In my opinion, even 24:1 is too much oil and results in lots of deposits in the cylinder and exhaust port as well as a sloppy mess out the exhaust pipe.
As far as marks in your cylinder, as long as you cannot feel grooves you should be fine. Discoloration is normal running that much oil.

fischer550

Mar 24, 2014
Fort Collins, CO
I can feel the scratches, but barely. And as far as oil ratio, I use super tech 2 cycle oil (from walmart) which i don't think is synthetic so can I run 40:1 and still be good?

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Just getting on the bandwagon.........it's fine and good to go!

I used 32:1 for break-in and run 50:1 (Echo synthetic) now --- same mix as my Echo weed whacker. Makes things much easier.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Why did you open the motor up? Like the old saying goes, "If you keep picking at it, it aint never gonna heal". Put it back together and run it.

Bill, are you my long lost 'other brother'?? Sounds just like my Mom!

I think that say'n was part of the pre Dr Spock mother's handbook......:D

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
On a related note: my engine's been running TOO well and for TOO long; contrary to the IIABDFI adage, I'm tempted to inspect the upper needle-bearing. Taming my own OCD!

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
On a related note: my engine's been running TOO well and for TOO long; contrary to the IIABDFI adage, I'm tempted to inspect the upper needle-bearing. Taming my own OCD!
If its a stock china girl bearing and you have lots of miles on it, that might not be a bad idea since if it does give up it will trash the engine most likely, If you put a high quality bearing in the engine already Id say you're probably in good shape, but hey.... if ya gotta then ya just gotta and if it makes you feel better to look it over and check for wear that ain't no biggie, I pulled a perfectly good running engine down last week and put a different wrist pin and upper bushing in it for an experiment, that engine has been running good since 2009 and has well over 2000 miles on it.

if a person knows what they're doing and enjoys tinkering with theses engines, it's just part of it to go into one of them ever now and then.

Map
.wee.

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
Oh, I've paid my dues; I know these engines pretty well now and have the pile of dead jugs to prove it. Alas, it IS a stock needle-bearing. *SIGH*

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Oh, I've paid my dues; I know these engines pretty well now and have the pile of dead jugs to prove it. Alas, it IS a stock needle-bearing. *SIGH*
LOL.........!

Since it is a stock bearing it might not be a bad idea to have a look see at her, no sense in breaking the legs of a good running little gal if-in you don't have too and checking and possibly replacing that bearing may be just what it take to save a life....LOL!

Map
.wee.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I've come to consider the needle bearing as a normal service replacement part, like rings or seals.
Too cheap to let a worn out bearing take down a good running motor.
Plus there are several better quality parts available from the chainsaw and moped crowd.
Stihl and Echo have chainsaw bearings that fit, as well as gilardoni and (I think) Tomos mopeds.