A Head Scratcher for Mr Norm

GoldenMotor.com

ws6tothemax

Apr 7, 2011
Los Angeles
[COLOR="Blue"] So yes this is my first build. and yes i learrned along the way. butam stumped with a problem on my 80cc motor. i used the correct 16:1 oil and gas mix, and i gapped the spark plug to 0.07. and wired everything together right. the magneto coil is shooting a 253ohm signal. i turned on the bike twice and ran it about 10 min each time. but then i couldnt turn it on again. so i figured to purchase a pull start, which i got today in the mail and installed it. and still noluck turning it on. i noticed that even when i hold the clutch down the rear tire keeps turning, could it be a clutch problem? thanks is advance:-||[/COLOR]

Last edited by a moderator:

Jeco

Sep 13, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Open the left clutch cover, see if when you pull on the lever, the clutch plate should move.
Maybe you need to adjust the internal spring, or maybe just the cable.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
It is going to be hard to start if the clutch is dragging.
16 to 1 is very oil rich you'll have oil fowling problems.
I'm only scratching my head even though my butt itches more over the spark plug gap? I like 0.017 to 0.020 gap this is in inches.
I'd have to get up and go to the shop to convert metric to American measurements. Hey I'm getting old and don't remember the conversion right now, I'm lazy, have a nasty cold, I feel like hammered dog poop.
I'll bet that your spark plug is oily and it may be oil fowled just enough so it won't start.
Get the clutch set correctly and try a clean spark plug. Once you get it running get on it and ride it. Getting the engine to proper operating temp will burn off the excess oil/carbon that these engines make when not at proper operating temps.
Oh...... good luck!?

ws6tothemax

Apr 7, 2011
Los Angeles
so i took off the left cover. and when i hold down the clutch nothing visible moves. should i take off the flower nut? and strecht the spring?

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
so i took off the left cover. and when i hold down the clutch nothing visible moves. should i take off the flower nut? and strecht the spring?
i'm not positive but i think a better choice would be to tighten up that plate so it creates contact with the spring again, could be wrong but it seems more logical to me.