Installing new clutch cable

GoldenMotor.com

Cycloptishred

Mar 30, 2012
Eugene OR
The one I had kind of stripped and now bits of wire are all over the cable and its not smooth. I just got a new cable and was wondering if anyones installed these before? Some tips and steps would be great..trk

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
The one I had kind of stripped and now bits of wire are all over the cable and its not smooth. I just got a new cable and was wondering if anyones installed these before? Some tips and steps would be great..trk
When I cut a clutch cable (on a HT, among others), I melt the end wires. The end won't fray.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Any opportunity to lube my cables I do it. Lube cables make such a huge difference and many new cables are not as lubed as I would like.

So many times I have seen bikes with very hard clutches and 90% of the time lubing the cable makes a world of difference. That goes for throttle and brake cables as well.

xenodius

May 23, 2012
Spokane, WA
I got a bike cable kit at Walmart for $4.95 (local shop was closed) and it came with crimp-ends for the cables. Looks really clean. Also came with jacket ends, so you can cut your jackets to length if you want to replace them too.

I agree about the lube! My new throttle cable is like silk compared to my old sticky one. Clean controls and cables really make a bike look a lot nicer. =)