Who Plays?

GoldenMotor.com

Jesse_James

Apr 9, 2013
USA
I have this very nice Guitar and I'm not a pro TRUST ME I just connect it to my PS3 and play Rocksmith.

I know how to play (without using Rocksmith)

Heart of gold - Neil Young

Smoke on the Water

Wish you were here - Pink Floyd

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
I can't play for a long time anymore (arthritis in the knuckles :(), but I am the guardian of a near-mint condition '72 (I think) Ovation 'Storm Series' semi acoustic, Ser. # H369 (no pic this second) and a Sonax 750G amp (the only one I ever found that could handle the Ovation without overload buzzing). Set that amp at 3 to rattle the windows, turn it up past 7 and you'll break a few. Hit the 'Boost' over-ride switch and 11 is a setting in the rear view mirror.

I can usually summon a few Beatles tunes, Wild Thing, House of the Rising Sun (yes, fingerpicked) and a bit of Tom Petty.. other things may come out depending on the level of intoxication at the time. I used to be able to play 'Imagine' on a keyboard as well.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
I just have an Ud, a violin, a recorder, and a harmonica. Maybe someday I might look into a vintage Fender Stratocaster (right after I win that lottery). Or maybe a Les Paul. Although, a really good Sitar is tempting; nothing else sounds like those.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
I have a tendency to be drawn towards the unusual stuff......

I 'play' a Goshen 11 key kalimba.
That's the name! I knew there was a proper name for thumb-pianos! Where did you get it? (I get drawn to weird stuff sometimes too. C'mon, I play an Ud.)

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
That's the name! I knew there was a proper name for thumb-pianos! Where did you get it? (I get drawn to weird stuff sometimes too. C'mon, I play an Ud.)

KalimbaMagic.com outa Tucson, AZ has a get selection of kalimbas.....and most have a sound clip so you can hear each of their tones. Mark Holdaway is the owner and a great guy to deal with.

Good luck!

Highwaystar

Jan 22, 2012
Indiana
I have been known to pick around on a gitfiddle from time to time. I used to have a Les Paul, but after a major abdominal surgery it was not comfortable. So I sold it. Now I have one of these. It is not as good as the LP (nothing is,LOL), but it gets the job done. And it has a built in pre amp which is fun.

It is one of the best playing cheap guitars I have ever played.

Jesse_James

Apr 9, 2013
USA
no fiddle, no banjo,no mandolin, no mouth harp!! its amazing what passes for music with the younger generations
I don't listen to any of today's music it all sucks. I also don't listen to anything unless it has a good guitar riff to it. Favourite song is Sweet child of mine That's a good song with the best guitar riff ever. Favourite band is Guns N Roses (not the new GNR the old band) And Slash is the best guitar player ever

Highwaystar

Jan 22, 2012
Indiana
I too am a big fan of Slash. As for the best, I think Chet Atkins, Roy Clark, Jimmy Page, Jack White and Frank Zappa may disagree.LOL

As far as newer bands go The Black Keys are proof Rock and Roll (even in it's most simple form) will never die

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I play, cuatro (10 string, acoustic) guitar and bass.

http://famous3.bandcamp.com/album/jamalicious

I have built a couple guitars from ebay kits....uh, sound familiar? The kits are of course from China. I built a Strat copy, total cost 90 dollars. I also built a Tele copy, total cost (including shipping)- 52 dollars! Both play well, but required a bit of setting up.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I build solid body electric guitars and basses as well........but I don't play. My grandfather built kanteles......but didn't play them. I think this runs in the family :D

dnut

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
I play, cuatro (10 string, acoustic) guitar and bass.

http://famous3.bandcamp.com/album/jamalicious

I have built a couple guitars from ebay kits....uh, sound familiar? The kits are of course from China. I built a Strat copy, total cost 90 dollars. I also built a Tele copy, total cost (including shipping)- 52 dollars! Both play well, but required a bit of setting up.
Whoa. A ten string. Here's a man who knows what he's doing. While my Ud has eleven strings, they're technically 6 courses and a base. So it's really more like playing 7 strings. But, MAN, I'd love to try and play a ten string sometime. Not sure if I still have the precision anymore though. Arthritis and I are still arguing over whether it has an invitation here or not.