can shocks be used in extension?

GoldenMotor.com
Jan 24, 2012
letterkenny, ireland
Hi guys i was wondering could somebody help me i am trying to figure out if the shock on the back of a bike can be used in extension, dont care if they have to be air or not. Could somebody who has ever used on in this method for anything could shim in a tell me if it would be possible

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Hi guys i was wondering could somebody help me i am trying to figure out if the shock on the back of a bike can be used in extension, dont care if they have to be air or not. Could somebody who has ever used on in this method for anything could shim in a tell me if it would be possible
I read a thread by Bigboy here where they were warning a bike builder
about using shocks in this manner and the bottom line it was liable
to fail.

Are you using the shock on a fork?
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?p=471913#post471913

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2012
letterkenny, ireland
it is being considered for a idea of alternative suspension layout to normal for a project i am in design stages of, main build thread is in chopshop its a chopper to be soft tailed in imitation of harley style.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
it is being considered for a idea of alternative suspension layout to normal for a project i am in design stages of, main build thread is in chopshop its a chopper to be soft tailed in imitation of harley style.
Huh? I asked you a straight question, "Are you using the shock on a fork"?

Punctuation and capitalization would help........

Shocks can fail in extension but I guess a failure on a soft tail
is better than on a front fork?

Jan 24, 2012
letterkenny, ireland
motorbicycle racing okayy sorry about that i thought by my answer it would be obvious its not in a fork.

wheel bender can you put a link to this bike you are on about up if possible i would like to see a picture of its location and use. never realised they were different styles of shock, should of been obvious to me since i studied hydraulic and pneumatic systems in college though.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Hers is a link to a page in Scotland about the pull shock.
http://www.rapiddescentscotland.co....user_op=view_printable&PAGE_id=10&lay_quiet=1
Some of the more complex compression bicycle shocks are the
Specialized Brain shock and the Pro Pedal (produced by Manitou, I think). These shocks
will become rigid while pedaling hard to transfer more of your energy to the rear wheel but still
allow rapid compressions as you hit the bumps.

Jan 24, 2012
letterkenny, ireland
just to close this thread nicly i discovered that a air shock can be used in either direction but to do so in a dirction it is not intended for automatically voids warranty on parts. i read on mtbr forum a poster said that he had done this. he simply put more air in side where the rod of the cylinder is than on air chamber and les in chamber. of cousre this changes where rbound and all associated parts of shock travel in relation to ordinary usaeg but i repeat do not buy a new shock and do this if you want the warranty to last as if they discover for a conventional shock was usd as a pull shock it is automatically voided as misuse. :-||

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Cool. You just add more air to the rebound side than the compression side of the shock. If you could buy a used air shock, you wouldn't need to worry about violating the warranty.

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
If I recall correctly almost all the Buell motorcycles used a shock that woked in extension rather than compression. Not an Air shock though