Wheel Reflectors

GoldenMotor.com

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
All right, who uses the wheel reflectors? 99% of people I know pull them off immediately.

I usually use wheel lights so i have always pulled mine off. But all my wheel lights took a dump on me so I left the reflectors on my new bike.

Growing up as a kid, if you left your reflectors on your BMX bike the other kids would give you a hard time, I think thats why I want to take mine off.

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Personally I hate the looks of the things but all it takes is to see a bike cross your path at night and the way headlights reflect in them to show how they can be a real safety plus.
I have one on the front wheel of two bikes and none on one.
Tom

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
most of the bikes i buy were made before wheel reflectors existed. for that matter, the same with pedal reflectors (those actually became a US law in the 70's.)

i've got a box of them, and i usually pull them off new pedals, too.

i don't ride much at night anyways, so i don't worry about it, and i think they're ugly, too.

Dave, didja ever get some of those lighted pedals i linked to you a while ago?

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
I used to remove mine because a bike "expert" friend of mine told me they caused wheels to go out of balance, and in extreme cases, cause a wheel to go out of round. I found they actually help balance if they are opposite the valve stem. I need to find a set for my bike, since it doesn't have any.

littleman456

Sep 10, 2009
Minnesota
I always take mine off because one: I think they are ugly and two: the few bikes that I have bought new, they were always the first thing to brake (I beat the crap outa my bikes :D )

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I always seamed to notice that the spokes that these are attached to on older bikes were loose. I don't use them my self. The safety makes seance to me tho. I noticed they always seamed to make a wheel balance wrong at high speed for me.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
one other note of interest, front, back, wheel and pedal reflectors are all required on production bikes by federal law (in the USA created by the Consumer Product Safety Commision [CPSC].)

for a very informative article about reflectors, lights, accidents, and the false, yet widely believed, "safety" that reflectors give, read this:

Bicycle Lights, CPSC Requirement History

seriously, read it. it's long, but pretty interesting.

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
I always use wheel reflectors, they make the MB more 'bicycle-ish' looking and the police never bother me.