Hybrid Coaster/Disc Brake

GoldenMotor.com

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Pondering a way to get a disc brake on my in-progress 125cc Lifan bike. It has a SA front drum already but, I wanted to upgrade the rear. Am going to run a cruiser wheel with chain only on the left side(no pedals) This left the coaster brake pretty useless. Long story short I found that a standard 6 bolt disc will pop over and center on the coaster sprocket hub. I can mount it securely to the hub and fab mounts no problem. Just wanted some thoughts on what the function might be like. On applying the disc brake the slowing of the disc should also apply the coaster. I guess actually the coaster will be doing the stopping and the disc applying the brake, right. If the coaster fades in theory the disc will still stop, but the coaster would no longer slow the wheel? Maybe its just an unusual way to apply a coaster. Looks like it will work well on this particular build though(becomes a hand brake).

Attachments

mrleo

Aug 16, 2011
cal.
I used a suzuki caliper and a bicycle disk .It will stop on a dime the disk is on the engine chain side. The cailper is of a 175cc bike.
L.W.

Don P

Sep 1, 2010
indiana
Hi cannonball2 here is my fix to run a disk brake on the rear of a cruiser bike,
get a fixie rear hub from one of the spandex boys. there is a free wheel to disc brake adapter made to use a rear freewheel hub as a front disk hub.

i also have a 18 tooth fixed hub cog to use as a adapter for my 44 tooth sprocket.
there is a lock ring for the track cog it is on it way took the slow boat from china. lol

i replaced the small jam nuts with wider sholder jam nuts to get a better grip on the dropouts. it increased spacing from 110mm to 120mm.

here is some pics and link.
http://www.choppersus.com/store/department/7/Brakes-Gears/

ps. i am running brake on left side and chain on right. bottom bracket will be my jackshaft mount
Don P

Attachments

Last edited: