Small bevel gear broke down

GoldenMotor.com

MadMaxed

Feb 15, 2015
Florida
So my small bevel gear broke. Could i be using the clutch wrong. i let the clutch go slowly while giving it gas, and while Im slowing down or coasting i pull the clutch in. or could it be something else..... Here's a pic.

gear.jpg

Also can someone guide me thru on the procedures of taking this thing off and on. Many thanks

Max

frank66

Jan 15, 2015
canada
easy and inexpensive problem. i have a screwdriver that you hit with a hammer. the bits work well. it does a great job and it was only around 20 dollars. that is the correct tool for the job.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
yes, impact driver for screw, kit puller for gear

gear probably went bad because it was not put on straight at factory - be sure to get replacement on right

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Here's how I do it. Lock gears with a penny, and use hand impact to remove screw.
Then use kit puller to remove gear by screwing it into gear as far as it will go, then apply pressure and tap puller screw with a hammer. Tighten and tap until it pops off.
Replace making sure the key is installed properly as gear tightens down. If key slips, it can LOOK right, but will usually stick out too far and have poor alignment with clutch gear.
Remove and re-install if key slips.
If your key is sloppy and won't stay put, a drop of rubber cement or maybe a dab of thick grease will hold it yet still allow removal at a later date.

These are pics of clutch being removed but small gear comes off the same way.

Last edited:

MadMaxed

Feb 15, 2015
Florida
well my parts come in next week ill give an update of what i have done. Thanks all for the feedback. This is my first build so i plan on learning and soaking in as much info as possible

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
Just remember that the gear is pressed on and if you don't get it down all the way it will work itself loose. I use a block of wood to hammer it down, tighten the screw, then hammer it again to see if the screw comes loose, keep doing this to make sure the screw stays tight. when you can hit it a few times and the screw don't come loose ya probably got it tight enough. You can try using an impact driver to take it down with the screw but I've never had much luck doing it that way. NEVER hit anything hammer to metal, Use a block of wood.
fatdaddy.usflg