Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Bicycle Motor > Motorized Bicycle Trouble Shooting

Motorized Bicycle Trouble Shooting Use this area to post problems that may arise, if you could use some help in figuring out what is wrong with your bicycle motor and what needs to be done to achieve top performance.

What sound should my engine be making on start up?

Use this area to post problems that may arise, if you could use some help in figuring out what is wrong with your bicycle motor and what needs to be done to achieve top performance.

Old 07-22-2013, 03:19 AM
Motorized Bicycle Senior Member

Default Re: What sound should my engine be making on start up?

Crap guys, do I have the wrong oil by the way?

I read that using outboard 2 stroke oil is bad because it's meant for watercooled engines, but this one says its okay for use in chainsaws and go-karts too.

I have the first one listed here: http://www.lucasoil.ca/products/2-cycle-oil.asp

Last edited by FractaL64; 07-22-2013 at 03:37 AM.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:56 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

I think that oil should be just fine. Land and sea..

Related to your idle issue... You have slack in your throttle cable. If you can put just a small spacer to effectively make your outer cable just a tad longer your issue will be solved! I cut a drywall mount anchor and cut it to be only about 1/8" long. That took up some space and increased the idle RPM's..
Old 07-22-2013, 09:20 AM
Motorized Bicycle Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groove View Post
I think that oil should be just fine. Land and sea..

Related to your idle issue... You have slack in your throttle cable. If you can put just a small spacer to effectively make your outer cable just a tad longer your issue will be solved! I cut a drywall mount anchor and cut it to be only about 1/8" long. That took up some space and increased the idle RPM's..
What about adjusting the idle with the idle screw? I just realized I was unscrewing it thinking it'd increase the idle rpm haha. I read you need to open the throttle, and screw it in otherwise you can damage it.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:37 AM

Turn the screw out to lower idle, in to increase it.

Make sure your carb is all the way on the intake.. even a pinhole sized gap where it slides on to the intake can throw everything off.

-=-

Any day that starts with a good ride is already a better day, and a bad day riding still beats a good day working.

My Builds: My Beast, Harley59's bike, my Cruiser
Old 07-22-2013, 12:22 PM

Yup, Screw in to increase idle. Check for TOO MUCH slack in your throttle cable, but that won't affect the Idle if the idle screw is set right.
I'm thinking more like an air leak in the intake somewhere. A cheap and easy way to check is to get a mustard or catsup bottle with a squeeze top. fill it with water and drizzle it on both sides of the intake fitting. If the engine dies (or slow's down,) a little quicker than it did before, then ya got a air leak. A drop or two of water won't hurt the engine, and it is an almost free air leak test. Just don't dump all the catsup down the drain or your lady will hit you with the empty bottle. Trust me on this, I still have nightmares.
I used marine oil for a while. Then I replaced my engine. It's not exactly the same as the regular stuff. It IS meant for water cooled engines. But use what you feel better with. I'm no expert on the subject.
fatdaddy.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FractaL64 View Post
I read you need to open the throttle, and screw it in otherwise you can damage it.
Yeah, that's right. Give it a bit of throttle twist when you tighten the idle screw.