GoldenMotor.com

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
I don't wear gloves.
Just hop on and go.
probably should, though...
We use our hands to protect everything else, and they sure get tore up easily.

...and I'd stand in the smokey line for a swanburger off the BBQ !

Always wanted to try a

Attachments

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
I saw some cool gloves at Oreilly's yesterday. They had some for about $7, that looked like the leather garden gloves, with a bright yellow band on the back of hand and wrist.
They had some similar gloves of the stretchy "mechanix" glove type, for closer to $14.

http://images.oreillyauto.com/parts/img/medium/clc/2150l.jpg
gray leather gloves with yellow wrist bands.

I think i will buy these. They were a little big like garden gloves, but comfortable and cheap.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
I wear some MechanixWear gloves with a gel palm for use with air tools. Great fit, breathable stretchy back, palm and fingers are leather with the padding underneath. Never slips on bicycle grips or air tools.

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
chicken goat duck are substitutes for profanity on a buddys construction crew.
farm geese are the worst,never turn your back on them,just look at the farm dog,if it's rear end is bald you know it has a bad goose.

i wear a knit sort of glove with a leather palm.it has a real bright reflective strip on the middle finger(i wish)
my biggest fear is beating up my hands from a tumble.i need them all the time.
vibration kills the finkers pretty quick,the gloves seem to help.

ostrich is very tasty,had a friend that farmed em for a while.when they get ornery,you eat em.
more like Filet Mignon than chicken or turkey.

Wickedest1

Oct 31, 2012
connecticut
Mechanix wear double thinsulate winter gloves...but they only work so well against the cold...fingertips usually end up tingly...and a lighter weight pair for warmer weather...and the palm sides are a rubbery sort of grip material...never slipped from my grips...i vice my fingers around my grips...

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
Check into some different types of mechanics gloves some have very sticky palms , I had a pair of snapon gloves with palms like that an a few pairs of matco that were similar but auto zone seems to have good ones as well., but the trade off is warmth they arent exacty the warmest things you can wear

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I live in AZ so the thinner the better. i got some fox gloves with leather bottoms/palm and breathable upper. just because crashing happens
I live in AZ as well, North Central Phoenix.
I always wear these riding gloves even when it is 110F and keep them in my helmet to remind me and glad I do as these will attest to after 3 years of riding and 2 nasty injury causing spills.

Note the inner palm pads. They are moot for all my builds as I replace the hard plastic grips with BMX foam grips on everything and my builds don't vibrate but darn handy if you are going down and can get your hand out palm down in time.

I look at gloves the same way I look at helmets.
A helmet is a second skull and gloves a second layer of hand skin.

If you don't want cumbersome and don't need padded gloves try a pair of golf or driving gloves as they whole purpose is to give you grip and simply being there is a second skin.

These particular gloves are not cumbersome at all and seldom even take them off on a quick store run unless I have to deal with coins but but this their web site. http://www.bontrager.com/products/mens_apparel/gloves/

I got mine new from a street vendor in Tucson back when Death Race coincided with a bicycle fair for like $15.
Cha-Ching for me ;-}

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Gloves that offer uber kewl dexterity are completely beyond any doubt absolutely useless when your fingers go ''painfully'' completely numb on the likes of a committed early morning winter ride to work in my experience.

What it means? Cant even do a simple task as to even work the zipper fly on a jacket much less even pick your nose lol. Well when one cannot even hold onto one of their handles bars from the total loss of their natural dexterity and the major pain inflicted that goes with it.... Shoot drive faster go slower!!laff

Too cold to even get your hands to return!! All the gloves in the world offering this so called perfect so called dexterity have just become ''painfully'' null and void!

The leather gauntlet welding glove combination I came across are the best I ever found so far and they slip gracefully over even a set of ski gloves. The kind of winter riding I have endured over here especially at 6:00 AM in the morning there are '''no said ski gloves'' that will cut it. In 40 years I have tried them all.

Another member here used to climb cell phone towers. Now having your hands quit working entirely at the top of a tower like such in some cutting to the bone winter wind would be enlightening lol. and suggested...
when i was climbing towers in the snow, i used thin neoprene diving gloves. they're the only thing i've found that'll keep your hands warm, even when wet. and you can still use your fingers for stuff.

http://www.amazon.com/Stallion-111R-18-Standard-Cowhide-Welding/dp/B003K1VI3O

All the so called cutting torch gloves that the likes of Harbor Freight offers will get you seriously hurt compared to the thermal protection of these gloves.

They are surprisingly soft and very smooth when new. After darn near setting them on fire while running the likes of a Demo torch they get a little stiff lol. I have done that too and a Harbor Freight glove of any kind would have put me in the E.R. for it. These have a remarkable thermo protection!

If I was gonna throw my hands out for a crash landing these are the gloves too. They are bullet proof. In lou of froze hands and no dexterity at all what so ever as a result These are pretty darn sweet(^)

For the winter I recently started using

When it is warm out side I just use regular ol Mechanics Gloves

Last edited:

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Those are the same brand that I got at a local welding shop. I have not used them for riding though, but the ones I have are made of soft deer skin and they are comfortable.

Just to note, although they protect from sparks and some molten small metal spatter, they are not for picking up just freshly welded metal. I made that mistake. They are not oven mitts.

It was strange that for a couple of seconds I did not feel the heat. Then I removed my hands from the metal fast as I could. Then that was not enough and I had to rip the gloves off as the heat was now retained in the gloves and until I removed them I was OK.

MT

glennbo

Aug 24, 2010
HAMMOND
i use these ski gloves from menards only 1.99 i just throw them away if they get a hole, they are really warm and water proof never have my hands slipped off the grips.

Attachments

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Those are the same brand that I got at a local welding shop. I have not used them for riding though, but the ones I have are made of soft deer skin and they are comfortable.

Just to note, although they protect from sparks and some molten small metal spatter, they are not for picking up just freshly welded metal. I made that mistake. They are not oven mitts.

It was strange that for a couple of seconds I did not feel the heat. Then I removed my hands from the metal fast as I could. Then that was not enough and I had to rip the gloves off as the heat was now retained in the gloves and until I removed them I was OK.

MT
Yeah Deer skin would have been very frail and paper thin compared to these gloves. As these gloves are way more thick than that and have all the thermo ability of oven mitts and then some..

They are heavy enough you can fling them off your hands with inertia too as After hours and hours of demo work I found their limitations lol. I did not know animals came with a hide this thick.

They cut the wind off hands better than anything I have ever found. Work good all by themselves really. Pretty invincible when combined with another choice glove. Sustained 40 MPH is very do able !!:)

Last edited:

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Yeah Deer skin would have been very frail and paper thin compared to these gloves. As these gloves are way more thick than that and have all the thermo ability of oven mitts and then some..

They are heavy enough you can fling them off your hands with inertia too as After hours and hours of demo work I found their limitations lol. I did not know animals came with a hide this thick.

They cut the wind off hands better than anything I have ever found. Work good all by themselves really. Pretty invincible when combined with another choice glove. Sustained 40 MPH is very do able !!:)
I may have been wrong and the leather is cow hide. I took some pictures and you will see it probably is the way they tan it that has it being comfortable. It is suede inside and out and not very thick. The Black Stallion Mighty MIG expert gloves do keep your hands warm when outside on a cool day doing welding. I could use them possibly over some other gloves like you mention. I think I paid around $25 but can’t remember.

There are these other two gloves that I got to replace gloves that I got at Harbor Freight (HF).

The ones I got at HF were about $18 and were a synthetic with some padding. I used them when angle grinding and they had very good dexterity. The problem with them was that fine metal particles would get through or easily stick to the glove material.

I got a replacement from Lowes and they are about $10 and made of soft leather just like the MIG gloves. The difference is they are shorter and do not go up over the arm sleeve for MIG welding. I like these for angle grinding and they do not have the problem with metal filings getting to my hands.

For working on scratchy metal stuff where there are not so much thin metal filings around and I want better dexterity, I resorted back to using a synthetic glove. I got ones like the HF ones but a bit thinner and less padded at the semi big box supermarket chain Smart and Final called True Grip for about $9.

I don’t know if I will ever be riding the motor bike in as cold conditions living in CA, as many others that get the Jet Stream Storm Weather that comes down from the North, but I’ll think about what you go through.

My dirt bike / art vehicle when done I will try this winter first as a dirt bike. Friends recently went riding up in the Northern CA hills and chomped through some thin ice and the puddles splashed water and cracked ice around. I guess that means it had to be somewhat cold in the evening an early AM hours. I’ll think maybe there is a way to put the exhaust out the handle bars.

;)

MT

Attachments

Last edited:

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I am still convinced the leather welding gloves I currently use are ''way way'' thicker than the ones you have pictured there. Mine have good dexterity for me despite how thick they are. I mean delicate watch work is definitely beyond ability with any of these lol.

The kind of cold mornings I have endured is literally frozen snotcycle kinda brutal. I will have to post one of those pictures!!:D

Got a grip on my brake when I need it and can keep the bars at my command gracefully. In that instance its all that really matters. Man when hands get frozen they really shut down!