Spark Plug Issue

GoldenMotor.com

keysertomasi

Aug 15, 2009
Illinois, USA
Hello all,

A bit of a problem. I received my Grubee SkyHawk 48cc 2 stroke kit today and planned to mount it on my 2007 KHS Urban Xpress. As it turned out, the down tube was too big (even though when I measured it, it was within the tolerances), and would need to use some of the extra mounting hardware to make it work.

In order to make the motor fit, I had to figure out how much space the spark plug, and the wire connector (ignition coil assembly) would take up within the framelaffzptzptzpt. When I tried to connect it.... I couldn't get it to mate. After some trying,I decided to measure the spark plug connector and the spark plug itself. The spark plug: 1/4", the connector 3/16". This seems wrong to me. I think that the connector and spark plug should mate correctly. Has anyone encountered this? Is there supposed to be this sort of size discrepancy?

Also, I'm not sure I will be able to get this motor to fit at all. I can't find anyone who has mounted this type of engine on an '07 Urban Xpress. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Please let me know your thoughts, and thanks in advance!

http://motorbicycling.com/images/smilies/zpt.gif

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Most folks have to unscrew the nipple thingie off of the tip if the sparkplug in order to let the sparkplug wire cap snap onto it. Is this what you are referring to?

stv1jzgte

Feb 11, 2009
australia
Grab the plug and a pair of pliers. the nipple or end cap unscrews anti clockwise revealing the 3/16 tip your looking for.
steve

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
The silver nipple thingie on the end of the white ribbed porcelain stem. Opposite end of the threaded part that screws into the cylinder. Some sparkplugs do not have the threaded nipple, but every stock 2-stroke sparkplug I have seen does have it.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Yeh i ditched the stocka wire on my first motor in favour of a spiral wire cable but i dunno if its that bad after all it is copper core, what else conducts better?
stv1,
You're absolutely correct. The kit supplied plug wire is superior to the resistance wire you'll find at most auto parts stores today. I agree that the plug boot is crappy and should be tossed but the wire is the best conductor you'll find. You're gonna hear arguments about this especially from people who sell the so called "high performance wire" but the fact is that you want the least amount of electrical resistance between the CDI and the plug and the kit supplied wire will provide that. The only problem with the kit wire is that it is usually too short to allow mounting the CDI anywhere except the down tube directly in front of the motor. If anyone disagrees simply use a good ohm meter and check the resistance of the kit wire and an equal length of automotive resistance wire. Meters don't lie.

Tom