New Honda 50

GoldenMotor.com

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Znane,

No sheet, it is just so smooth. WOT does not sound or feel like you need to change gears. I am truly thrilled with it. I would recommend it to any one. (if I liked 'em, snork) Really, have not a bit of buyers remorse.

I have yet to try the HF 80. Plan on doing a funky build with one soon. Any thoughts on them? Power, vibes speed and what gearing you would suggest? I want to do it inframe and use propane and/or gas for fuel with an electric start. Gonna be cool, I hope. Have you ever tried or know any one who was repainted them?

Last edited:

ZnsaneRyder

Nov 21, 2008
FLORIDA
Znane,

No sheet, it is just so smooth. WOT does not sound or feel like you need to change gears. I am truly thrilled with it. I would recommend it to any one. (if I liked 'em, snork) Really, have not a bit of buyers remorse.

I have yet to try the HF 80. Plan on doing a funky build with one soon. Any thoughts on them? Power, vibes speed and what gearing you would suggest? I want to do it inframe and use propane and/or gas for fuel with an electric start. Gonna be cool, I hope. Have you ever tried or know any one who was repainted them?
In the future, I may get a Honda 50, as I know the higher RPM motor will be smoother. I'm more than sure it beats a 2-stroke in MPG. My 6.5hp 196cc Lifan gets more gas mileage than many of the 2-strokes, so I'm sure that little 50 is really good on gas.

The HF 80 is a nice motor. It's very quiet as stock. Vibration is not too bad if you gear it low enough and lube the clutch for smooth takeoff. Lower RPM than a Honda 50. Only about 4500 RPM, 3600 stock, but may be able to be made higher with a better carb and exhaust. My brother has a pusher trailer with one, and gets 38mph with a 4.8 ratio and 15 inch wheel. It prefers low gearing because of it's small size. I'm planning on trying a 6.5HP carburetor on it to see how much more power I get from it. I'm also really wondering of the Grubee Gearbox that normally fits the Honda50 will also fit the HF 80 engine....

The Honda 50 is attractive, but for only $109 the HF 80 is easier to afford for guaranteed 2.5HP.
I want an engine that's legal as possible, 4 stroke, and good performance. But now it seems everybody is running 80cc bike engines, so that's why I'm not sure if I should go for the Honda50 or Huasheng50, or just rebadge the HF 80 (79cc) as a 49cc, and paint it to not look like the Harbor Freight motor. I have painted a 6.5, and you just unbolt the gas tank and the fan cover bolts and paint those pieces by themselves away from the engine, then just bolt them back on. The 2.5 is the same way. I would love to see how you plan to add electric start to the engine!

I would like to see the two motors compared to each other, because one is stock 6800 and other stock 3600, so I wonder which is more driveable and easier to control on a bicycle, or if the RPM's matter much.

HoughMade

Apr 15, 2008
Valparaiso, IN
I know a thing or two about the Honda 49.4 cc engine

Honda: 12.1 lbs., 8.9” L x 10.8” W x 13.9” H- $210 (without tank)

I know the Hf engine is about $100- now, what are the dimensions and weight?

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
In the future, I may get a Honda 50, as I know the higher RPM motor will be smoother. I'm more than sure it beats a 2-stroke in MPG. My 6.5hp 196cc Lifan gets more gas mileage than many of the 2-strokes, so I'm sure that little 50 is really good on gas.

The HF 80 is a nice motor. It's very quiet as stock. Vibration is not too bad if you gear it low enough and lube the clutch for smooth takeoff. Lower RPM than a Honda 50. Only about 4500 RPM, 3600 stock, but may be able to be made higher with a better carb and exhaust. My brother has a pusher trailer with one, and gets 38mph with a 4.8 ratio and 15 inch wheel. It prefers low gearing because of it's small size. I'm planning on trying a 6.5HP carburetor on it to see how much more power I get from it. I'm also really wondering of the Grubee Gearbox that normally fits the Honda50 will also fit the HF 80 engine....

The Honda 50 is attractive, but for only $109 the HF 80 is easier to afford for guaranteed 2.5HP.
I want an engine that's legal as possible, 4 stroke, and good performance. But now it seems everybody is running 80cc bike engines, so that's why I'm not sure if I should go for the Honda50 or Huasheng50, or just rebadge the HF 80 (79cc) as a 49cc, and paint it to not look like the Harbor Freight motor. I have painted a 6.5, and you just unbolt the gas tank and the fan cover bolts and paint those pieces by themselves away from the engine, then just bolt them back on. The 2.5 is the same way. I would love to see how you plan to add electric start to the engine!

I would like to see the two motors compared to each other, because one is stock 6800 and other stock 3600, so I wonder which is more driveable and easier to control on a bicycle, or if the RPM's matter much.
Thanks Znane. Very cool about the paint. " I'm also really wondering of the Grubee Gearbox that normally fits the Honda50 will also fit the HF 80 engine...."
I looked all over for the bolt pattern for the GX50 but have yet to find it. I am just slightly dissipointed with Honda's documentation. I am sure you have seen the HF80 one, just for ease of re-finding; pg. 10 http://www.harborfreight.com/manuals/97000-97999/97964.pdf

Not for a good while, but I plan on getting the Harbor Freight80 and HuaSheng50 and will do a compairence. Thing I like about the HF, store is about 2 towns away.

Hough, I had to write to HF to get that. (2ce!) not on their spec sheet. This is what they wrote back (after telling me to go read the spec sheet) what is it with kids today and documentation!?

" Thank you,
Karin Moon
Customer Service.

Tracking no. T40605
SKU: 97964 - 2.5HP HOR.OHV GAS ENGINE

DESCRIPTION:
Customer would like the dimensions of this item, particularly
interested in it's width.

ANSWER:
These dimensions should be entered into op. 6.
Overall: 12" L x 11" W x 11-1/2" H (Width includes
the shaft)
Shaft Size: 2-1/4" extension length x 5/8" diameter x
3/16" keyway
Base Mount Pattern: 2-1/2" W x 4-1/8" L (4) M8 x 1.25 threaded holes
Shaft Mount Pattern: (4) M8 x 1.25 threaded holes equally spaced on a
3.61" diameter circle

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
4th ride today. 2.5 hrs total and 32 miles. Picked up a lil power and speed. Not so you could feel it but by speedo. Did a fairly steep hill really well. She briefly did 34 MPH but may have been a hickup with the speedo as I could not repeat it but did 32/33 on flats no problem. Smooth as butter (on a saltine, lol) Have used about a qurter of a tank so far and am thinking I will be happy with the MPG. The Grubee gearbox is wearing in and sounds much different then when new. To be expected but sounds less mechanical then before. More of a whizzing sound then a solid cog on cog sound. Still very quite. The kill switch needs to be re soldered but am in no rush as I stink at soldering and have never had a kill switch last at all. (the dreaded kill-switch curse) Rewired the stock switch on the engine and is fine for now.

No bout a doubt it, my favorite MB of the lot of them.
brnot

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Thanks Bill. I really like the way it looks with the roll bag up front. dunno, just gives it an old world sort of look. Some day, I really want to put them on this bike; Schwinn: 2009 Classic Seven Deluxe

Dang thing is $700. But man, it is purty. That much $, I should invest in Brooks.

OH! the Schwinn Deluxe is why I was asking you about the front hub/brake. The head light functions if I do opt for the gen. one.
Thanks again for the review.

Last edited:

Fred

Sep 25, 2008
Thanks for this post. I didn't realize I needed to fab something for the throttle.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Howdy Fred, I dunno if it is mentioned, but lots of folks just get a HS or Titan carb. It is set up already for a thorttle cable, I am told. Thatsdax.com has em. Dunno who else, but dax is great.

I did not know that was an option but wanted to keep the stock one any way when I did find out. I will post close ups of what I did. After the trial & error and the "got it bassackwards" stuff, it was amazingly easy to put the assembly together. total cost was 3 or 4 bucks worth of stuff and I used parts off the gear box. Only thing I bought was one spring. the rest came off an old bike rusting behind my shed.

..and Thank you. Glad to hear it is of some use.

Side note; 4th and fifth ride today. OH MAN, THIS THING IS AWESOME!!!!! I love all the MBs I have built, I really do. But am in love with this thing. 32 MPH, she humms happily along. No fuss, no muss. She starts first pull and vibes just enough to let you know she is ok and happy.

just hummm.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
New bent seat post is awesome! Makes a big difference in ridding comfort. Baby at the hardware store.. Thanks again 2Door!!!!

Also breaking in very nicly. 35.4 MPH today and still smooth as butter.

This is the super fantabulos inline throttle spring return device. Really does work great. I used the clutch engager wire holder and a small arm that came with the gov on the GX. I just bought a spacer to cover the spring and work as a stop. Whole thing cost about 2 or 3 bucks. (I really did want to keep the Honda Carb and am glad I did now)

Happy Daddy....

(The barmaid who kindly took this pic was about 20teen, 6 foot 2 and a dancer. All of it legs that went all the way up to the top.) She thought MBs are " totally awesome!" She is great fun and Carol and I are to take her and her BF out to dinner.

Attachments

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Awesome Dan dnut
Thanks Fair! I mean that, you do some great work that gets me thunking. I am really proud of the inline springed return throttle. So dang simple, cheap and easy. Don't look like sheet but thats it's beauty, simple and works. Gonna get it pretty and right then market it with my kits (still in R&D)

How are you healing up? Tail bone thing is no joke and big time pain. (waiting 'til your all mended up to make pain in the arse jokes) Watched a woman run down a ladder on a schooner and missed the last 3 rungs. Bounced off the 4th with her backside. She was screaming in pain all the way to the hospital. She was a really tuff sort and I was shocked.

Feel better soon Brodder!
(and again, thanks)

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Go ahead...make jokes, it's funny :oops:

I have not gone to work since I broke my butt, I had to go to Walgreens this morning and buy a butt pad, doesn't really help.

Stupid wheel :-|| I hope I can ride for the death race

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Wow, that sux. Work and the race even more.

Was just thinking about that, the joking stuff. If any one comes into the pub or social gathering with a black eye,cast or limp. The woman and Carol are all "can I make you some thing to eat?" or "need a beer/drink?" The guys; "ruff trade nite at the bath house?" If a buddy is not laughing or making jokes at my misfortune, I think I am really hurt and get worried. lol. Carol (who said to say hello and wish you a speedy recovery) tells me this makes no sense at all and men are nutz. I told her she should explore her options and let me film it. I got hit for that one. snork, still worth it.....

Fred

Sep 25, 2008
Hey Dan, I like what you did with the seat post. you should check out getting some tripple tree forks on there too :) Thanks for the ideas about throttle. I manged to find some throttle stuff on a old weedeater that worked pretty well. I didnt' want to do a different carb. I don't know if it works yet cause the bike isn't together yet, but it does move properly so i think it will work.

Fred

Fred

Sep 25, 2008
I have another question. how does the wiring on this thing go? I have a green and yellow on the kill switch, and one black one on the engine.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Howdy Fred. Upgraded forks and a stormy Archer hub are on the "some day soon" wish list. I never thought the Point beach would hold up so well. Ya think springers would be over the top?

The color coding thing on the wires can be maddening. When they are not even close, I get the engine to fire up once before hooking up the kill switch. Ya really don't want to ride much with out the kill switch, but a short first run just to make sure all is good, IMHO. Then wire it up. no start, reverse wires. On the Honda, I still use the kill switch on the engine it self as I have yet to get around to fixing the throttle mounted one. (I don't think I have ever had a proper kill switch work for more then a month)