no more get up n go

GoldenMotor.com

picklefish

Mar 25, 2013
Merritt Island, Florida
I ran too much oil in my fuel and now the engine will idle, it has no get up n go anymore. what do I do?

What I did so far; drained the tank and put in 32:1 ratio oil to gas. Checked the plug to make sure its not too rich or too lean. Verified the carb components are working.

I just cant tell if its an air problem or a fuel problem, seems I am getting enough of both, has this happened to anyone else?

cumminsbayou

Feb 25, 2013
fairhope alabama
you should probilly tell us what "get up and go is'' but i think you mean low end torque. It is probilly that it is to rich. The leaner you go the higher it will rev up to. If the motor is broke in try using 40 to 1 or even 50 to 1

picklefish

Mar 25, 2013
Merritt Island, Florida
sorry get up n go is acceleration, it wont go past idle. I took off the spark plug cap and noticed the little brass clip that connects to the top of the spark plug is gone. going to autozone to get a new one and a new better spark plug and gap tester while im there.

picklefish

Mar 25, 2013
Merritt Island, Florida
So new plug cap n plug and still nothing past idle, even with the throttle wide open. Now I am thinking along the lines of not getting any gas. The carb bowl is full though and I thought the airflow picked up the gas particles as it flows through the carb. Bowl float stuck? would this cause this? Ive read that term on here before, how do I check this?

picklefish

Mar 25, 2013
Merritt Island, Florida
this reminds me though for the past couple of days before this I would accelerate up to 20 mph and it would then hesitate for a min or so and then continue accelerating up to 30 mph,,is something clogged? I wonder....

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
couple of thing might be wrong. throttle cable broke?
if you remove the air cleaner and work the throttle from closed to wide open you can see the throttle slide open and close looking in the carb. should also be able to see the slide needle when it's wide open.
Did the main jet fall out of carb it will be laying in the float bowl, it might be still on by a couple of threads but being that loose it ain't working.
Might check the slide needle it might not be installed properly. all the parts go in only one way to properly work. see some of the carb repair stickies.
air breather is full of oil, mainly from an over oil rich fuel mix.
Choke is on? you do know lever up choke is on lever down for normal operation.

If I understand you correctly your engine will start and idle, but will not increase in rpm when you open the throttle. the above items are simple to check.

When you have the engine idling and open the throttle does it die? or just stay at idle?

Last edited:

picklefish

Mar 25, 2013
Merritt Island, Florida
couple of thing might be wrong. throttle cable broke? Nope I can see the slide going up and down and it operates correctlyDid the main jet fall out of carb it will be laying in the float bowl, it might be still on by a couple of threads but being that loose it ain't working.
Main jet was secure, float was doing its job, visually checked it closed the valve properly.Might check the slide needle it might not be installed properly. all the parts go in only one way to properly work. see some of the carb repair stickies.
air breather is full of oil, mainly from an over oil rich fuel mix.
what is this air breather you speak of? the air filter is fine, I can see daylight through it. Choke is on? you do know lever up choke is on lever down for normal operation
choke is not on, when I put it on the engine dies immediately

Last edited by a moderator:

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
When you have the engine idling and open the throttle does it die? or just stay at idle?

air breather is another name for air filter.

Last edited:

picklefish

Mar 25, 2013
Merritt Island, Florida
Wingnut suggested I clean the air filter with clean gas. so I did and a pile of darkness came into the gas, I dont suppose I can run that through the engine! lol, discarded. Now holy cow! Like a jet airplane! Im zoomin around and then it dies on me! well that was fun....oh wait, turn on fuel petcock! Zoom off I go! Ha Ha see, I am not mechanicallistic in any way! Thanks to all you who helped! Futer newbs, learn well from my mistakes!

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
Wingnut suggested I clean the air filter with clean gas. so I did and a pile of darkness came into the gas, I dont suppose I can run that through the engine! lol, discarded. Now holy cow! Like a jet airplane! Im zoomin around and then it dies on me! well that was fun....oh wait, turn on fuel petcock! Zoom off I go! Ha Ha see, I am not mechanicallistic in any way! Thanks to all you who helped! Futer newbs, learn well from my mistakes!
I don't think you had identified your carb, which should be the first thing you do when asking for help with.... a carb....
I am guessing you have a CNS carb (from reading other threads you have posted), if your carb has two cables going in the top then you have a CNS carb. There are a couple versions of the CNS carb, V2 has a red plastic air filter cover with a foam insert as the filter. This filter is prone to clogging up with oil and choking out the air, so you should either clean it often or replace it with a high flow (paper cone) style air filter.
Also, the idle jet on the CNS carb is very small and clogs easily, if you start getting rough starts or rough low end then make sure to clean out the idle jet (down the tube next to the main jet). I recommend that you run an inline fuel filter to help keep these jets clean if you are not already.....

picklefish

Mar 25, 2013
Merritt Island, Florida
you are absolutely right, I probably assumed from another post I made that yall had the info already. It is the CNS carb with blue filter.

so Im finding now that it is idling high when the clutch is engaged, I think the slide is out of position so thats the first thing Im gonna check, and the idle set screw next.

It still doesnt have a bunch of acceleration and not sure why, it boggs down with the throttle fully open. I am searching for a new air cleaner, replacement for the one I have since some of the rubber is torn.

You guys are awesome and have been such an awesome help.

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
you are absolutely right, I probably assumed from another post I made that yall had the info already. It is the CNS carb with blue filter.

so Im finding now that it is idling high when the clutch is engaged, I think the slide is out of position so thats the first thing Im gonna check, and the idle set screw next.

It still doesnt have a bunch of acceleration and not sure why, it boggs down with the throttle fully open. I am searching for a new air cleaner, replacement for the one I have since some of the rubber is torn.

You guys are awesome and have been such an awesome help.
If you have a torn air filter that is not sealed that will effect the mix, making it go lean since it is getting air easier than it should (through the leak)...

You need to seal up any leak or replace that air filter, then access how she runs at WOT. With the CNS carb it's fairly easy to figure out whether your bogging is due to lean or rich condition, since the enrichment jet is there which adds more fuel... Just ride to the range where it bogs and while its bogging open up the enrichment jet (to open you need to pull that "choke" cable, not let it slack) If the bogging goes away or improves with the enrichment jet open then you are likely too lean, if the bogging gets worse you are prob already too rich....

Again, you need to tighten up any air leaks before you do this or its a waste of time....

After you determine whether you are rich or lean at WOT (causing your bog), I would suggest you first try a float adjustment to try and correct the issue.... post back more details when you have them and we will try to help you through it...

Last edited:

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
so since the jet has no adjustment to it, how do I fix the too lean too rich problem?
Like I said, you have to fix any air leaks FIRST, THEN access what the condition is. You can change jets, or drill out the jet, but like I said before, I would first try to correct the condition by making a float adjustment (after you have fixed any air leaks and accessed how the motor is running at WOT)

picklefish

Mar 25, 2013
Merritt Island, Florida
all air leaks fixed and my bike is back to being boggged down, Idles at a high rpm when the clutch isnt engaged and it putters along at 15mph without any throttle, as soon as I give it any throttle it boggs down. Ive gotten to accellerate to 20mph by just jiggling the throttle a tiny bit but thats all. Time to break down the carburetor again? I just dont know what could be wrong with it. very frustrating.

picklefish

Mar 25, 2013
Merritt Island, Florida
alrighty so I turned the gas on and that allowed me to make it to the repair shop. I got a nicer air filter, it has more filter to it. The problem lies in the carberrator according to the shop guys. Any idea why it bogs down when I give it throttle? Bad gas maybe?

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
alrighty so I turned the gas on and that allowed me to make it to the repair shop. I got a nicer air filter, it has more filter to it. The problem lies in the carberrator according to the shop guys. Any idea why it bogs down when I give it throttle? Bad gas maybe?
Well, short answer is not enough gas or not enough air.... lol Sure, if you have bad gas or a bad mix (too much oil?) that will make her run crappy too....

Starting with your idle.... if you back the idle screw out enough it will no longer hit the slide to prop it open and the idle should become very low, if the idle doesn't go low then you prob have air leaks still, cause a closed slide should be able to choke the motor out. So I would check again to see if the slide is inserted properly (slot in slide aligned with pin in carb?) and is moving up and down smoothly? Take the slide out and look down where it came out of, note the pin in there that must align with the slot in the slide, also, note the idle screw sticking out at the bottom and how it props open the slide. Screw the idle screw out until it no longer protrudes in the way of the slide and then the slide should go all the way down and close (remove the air filter and look through there to see if the slide is operating properly and closing all the way).

I'm pretty sure I gave you this advise already, but ride the bike into the range where it bogs and then pull the enrichment jet lever (so it pulls on the cable), opening the enrichment jet will add more fuel to the mix. If the bog goes away or improves then you are probably fuel starved and need to richen your mix, if the bog gets worse then you are probably already too rich....

Once you have determined if your mix is too rich or too lean the first thing I would try is to adjust the float. Adjust to lower the fuel level in the bowl if you are running rich and adjust to raise the fuel level in the bowl if you are running lean.

Again, it kinda sounds like you still have air leaks. With the CNS carb there is a black rubber seal that is down inside the carb throat which seats onto the end of the intake. Make sure that seal is there, and make sure that seal is inserted properly. Do yourself a favor and pull that seal out and note how one side is form fitted to go over the intake, the intake actually seats inside of this seal. Once you understand this then you will know which way to insert the seal into the carb. When you put the carb on the intake you need to slide it on until it bottoms out on the intake, then wiggle the carb around a bit while pushing it on the intake so it will seat that last little bit into the black rubber seal. Then, while firmly pressing the carb onto the intake tighten the mounting screw. This is the only way to get the carb into the intake without an air leak...

EDIT: You could also have clogged up your jets in the carb if you are not running an inline fuel filter. The fuel tanks usually have crap inside them that need be cleaned out before you use it, if you don't clean it then the fuel filter in the fuel valve can clog and reduce the fuel flow, and small particles still get through and will clog up your jets. So get an inline fuel filter if you don't have one already, make sure the filter in the fuel valve isn't clogged (when running an inline fuel filter I remove the filter from the end of the fuel valve to make sure it doesn't impede the fuel flow) and make sure the jets on the carb are not clogged up....

Last edited:

picklefish

Mar 25, 2013
Merritt Island, Florida
When I drain the tank of gas I get plenty of fuel flow. The choke lever kills the engine when I pull it while running so I think I am too rich. I will double check that the intake and the carb are seated securely.
If I adjust the float is it just a matter of bending the tab out more?

picklefish

Mar 25, 2013
Merritt Island, Florida
Ok, so I pushed the carb all the way on to the intake stem and retightened, it was 1/8" off so Im guessing air leak was the primary issue. On a test drive I played with the choke lever (enrichment?) at the point where the engine would bog down and I got MORE power, holy cow! So I come back to the garage and let it idle with the clutch disengaged and I reversed the idle adjustment screw and the idle came down to a reasonable level, holy cow! Im not being sarcastic, I am pleasantly surprised at this and am very happy. I would never have figured this out on my own, obviously.

So I have determined based on the above post that I am fuel starved and need to enrichen the mix...so what does that mean and how do I do it? try the float thingy first?

Dude, seriously I want to cry I am so happy now! I am so mechanically handicapped its not even funny and riding this bike around is one of the few joys of my life! I appreciate this so much.

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
Ok, so I pushed the carb all the way on to the intake stem and retightened, it was 1/8" off so Im guessing air leak was the primary issue. On a test drive I played with the choke lever (enrichment?) at the point where the engine would bog down and I got MORE power, holy cow! So I come back to the garage and let it idle with the clutch disengaged and I reversed the idle adjustment screw and the idle came down to a reasonable level, holy cow! Im not being sarcastic, I am pleasantly surprised at this and am very happy. I would never have figured this out on my own, obviously.

So I have determined based on the above post that I am fuel starved and need to enrichen the mix...so what does that mean and how do I do it? try the float thingy first?

Dude, seriously I want to cry I am so happy now! I am so mechanically handicapped its not even funny and riding this bike around is one of the few joys of my life! I appreciate this so much.
Congrats man, I knew you had to have an air leak....

Now it seems you are lean at WOT... First I assume you are still running a break in fuel mix? Please let me know what fuel/oil ratio you are running... When you change from the break in fuel mix which has more oil your mix will richen up slightly (because gasoline will replace some of the oil), but if you are lean and bogging badly at WOT then you probably should try a float adjustment cause the change in fuel mix prob wont effect you that much. You would want to adjust the float so it is letting the fuel level in the bowl go higher...
That said, with a new motor still running break in fuel mix I recommend if the motor runs decent you should try to burn through the break in fuel mix and get on a standard mix before you tinker with the carb too much...