Is this a worthy frame to use?

GoldenMotor.com

TheWizardVillage

Jul 29, 2015
Tennessee
I bought this bike off of craigs list for $100,

I trashed the gas tank, throttle grip, fuel filter, and hoses.

So for about $60 and after cleaning the carb I hope to have
this little toy on the road.

My question is, does this frame seem safe enough to use
as a daily driver? It looks 1980s to me, and it is built by Murray.

Attachments

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Nice score there... yeah, those 80's Murray frames are nice and strong. Just check the welds at the 2 tube that run from the rear dropouts to the front of the frame... sometimes the welds on this type frame break off at the seat post or front down tube which will lead to it quickly popping the other weld. The good thing about these is that if the welds look weak you can strip the paint off the area and braze the joint up really good, this will ensure the frame is plenty strong enough for daily use at 30+.
You can strip the paint and braze all 4 points as preventative maintenance if you wish before you start riding it daily too, you'll need to re paint it if you do, but it'll make the frame a lot stronger.
Some of these have really nice welds already, but others are just barely tacked on so definitely check these welds as well as the welds at the bottom bracket where the 2 rear triangle tube are connected, this is another weak spot, and this area becomes vulnerable to cracking if the other welds I mentioned above are cracked off.

TheWizardVillage

Jul 29, 2015
Tennessee
Thanks for the response, the the welds look to be in nice shape so I'm not stressing. I'm just hoping to have it running well enough to take it to the grocery once a week.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I look at the rear drop-outs and just bite my (tongue) lips. When I think of Murray, I think of Bill Murray.....need I say more?

Murray and Huffy are just two manufactures I personally would not try to motorize for myself. Sorry, I just would not~! I have good reason for this.