Wet Weather Ideas for a Stock RT carb.

GoldenMotor.com
Even though we are in drought conditions in Northern California, There is wet weather ahead, And the bike is stored outside under a tarp.
I need some ideas to make the stock filter water proof or as close to as possible. I've been looking at water proof air filters on ebay but can't find anything for a 60mm inlet, I did look at 60mm-50mm 90 degree gas proof silicon hose, But can't find anything from 60mm-46mm so I can run a water proof filter. I will be using a intake manifold extension tube and have the carb on the right side and the expansion chamber running down the left side, So I can use the tab off the muffler to attach to the chain guard. I don't have fenders yet and until I do I still need better weather protection for this ride. I have also been looking at air boxes for total enclosure, I have the room.
Thoughts and Ideas or proven results Needed.

picture of RT carb and expansion muffler to be put on.
picture of current carb and no space
pic showing how much room I have to work with

I will be spending about 100.00 on my rain suit
http://www.ebay.com/itm/23074076311...49&var=530043961271&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

and helmet
http://www.ebay.com/itm/351193942563?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

on the 1st. and about 30 more on the side case cover, intake manifold extension tube, and a rear engine block and a 515 1/2 link. So I'm pretty strapped for funds so Don't go over board with expensive ideas's please. I'm trying to get rid of the chain tensioner so by buying the rear block and cutting 1/2" out of it I should be able to drop the tensioner and will have the 1/2 link for a back up. Idea's on chopping the block or a url to do it from the forums would be Most helpful.
But I do appreciate the help. Thanks in advance !!!

Attachments

Last edited:

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I ride in the rain (when it does rain in az) the only problem I have is the splash back from the rear tire. A rear fender would solve that problem.

They only thing I would know to "waterproof a air filter" is to build a air intake box.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Is your concern about water for riding or when the bike is parked under a tarp?

If riding, don't worry about it. Unless you plan to ride in a torrential downpour the amount of water, if any, drawn in by the carb through the filter won't hurt anything.

If you're worried about the bike when it is parked you can wrap the air filter with a plastic bag. I'd be more concerned with rain/water getting into the fuel tank or the ignition system than the carb. Use a waterproof tarp and tie it so any wind doesn't blow it off the bike.

Tom

Yes 2Door to " Unless you plan to ride in a torrential downpour the amount of water, " The bus or my bike is my only transportation. And 2 of my appointments are a long walk away from the bus stop. I'm looking into buying a Kawasaki KE 100 airbox the hole on it is just big enough for my filter to stick into, So I should be able to make a wrap around it to seal it off. And the outer primary filter will be like a sponge and then the inner air filter. I'll use plumbers tape to mount it to the seat post tube. I'll spray WD 40 on the outer filter, a trick to keep the water away. And then hope and Prey it works.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151304107563?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Well from your Idea BarelyAWake I was able to find this: Bodine 0984LV Die Cast Terminal Box Kit for Motor. But it's not plastic "Die Cast" and they want 14.99 for it. That's still cheaper then the KE 100 airbox lol.
And as for the 2" vacuum hoses I have 2 Vacuum sitting outside waiting to be parted out and thrown out lol. And in your pics that looks like a NT carb, I will have to scrounge up something that will cover the RT carb intake. And I have been looking at all kinds of things for this idea lol. 4" square metal boxes Used Motorcycle air boxes, Just about anything I could find, was almost ready to put some door skins together and some PVC pipes and make my own out of Fiberglass. My biggest problem is when I install the new inlet pipe My Carb will be next to my tire, Ordered steel fenders yesterday, Even though I don't have any mounting slots for them. I'll make something work. And will probably use a off road front fender. I also ordered a new rear engine block/mount so I can cut some off and hopefully get rid of this chain tensioner. and a 515 1/2 link
I'm surprised 2Door didn't remember that thread lol. O well part of the ageing process lol we loose our Memory 1st.