greetings everyone nebie to the site

GoldenMotor.com

thorlof

Jun 29, 2010
santa cruz ca
OK so i am posting on this forum for the first time. My problem is my engine will start. But will nOt engage the drive chain. to make it go lol i give it gas but all i hear is the throttle opening i got no power from the engine to the drive chain anyhelp??

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Howdy biker welcome to the forum! What kind of engine do you have? This is a awesome forum! Lots of talent and great people that love to help..

thorlof

Jun 29, 2010
santa cruz ca
correction it's an 80 cc motor before it started happening i guess i had the drive chain a little loose and the chain bunched up inside the housing on the motor and completely froze up the engine till i was able to unbunch the chain

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Okay there is a tiny key way on the engine output sprocket. You prolly sheared it. Check there. Can prolly get a replacement key from any of our venders.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
To get the nut off the sprocket gracefully and put the nut back on do it with the chain still attached and simply hold the bike still.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
http://www.osengines.com/parts/images/29008219.jpg Not a way spring. I did not mention a spring. That is a Woodruff Key. I assumed that maybe perhaps because your chain got caught up you sheared that key? Are you familiar with the puller tool that removes aluminum crank arms? Your sprocket uses a similar tool to pull it off that probably came with your kit. If you remove the clutch cover then the nut and washer on the sprocket you can get a visual with a light to see if the key is sheared. Sorry I could not help some else will pipe in soon enough..

The sprocket uses this keyway as a safety feature not to tear more stuff up. The open notch inside the sprocket you see in the pict is where that key goes there will be a notch in the shaft that the sprocket is attached to that rymes with that keyway.

Now when you go to take the nut off the sprocket it is going to turn the motor. That is why I say hold the bike still with the chain still attached. Other wise you will have to wedge something against the sprocket to hold it still that could get sloppy. Ether way it can be done. Turn the nut counter clock wise to take it off.

This is a video that shows use of such a puller.
http://bicycletutor.com/replace-cotterless-cranks/

Attachments

Last edited:

thorlof

Jun 29, 2010
santa cruz ca
well just got done checking that out and it looks like it's all fine so i am thinking i need a new engine gonna pick one up tomorrow we have a couple of dealers out here where i live but thanks