48? Whizzer barn find project

GoldenMotor.com

SlowBalt

Mar 8, 2010
Rhode Island
I found this bike in northern Mass. The guy that posted it on Craigslist found it in a barn on the property he had just bought.

Last edited:

SlowBalt

Mar 8, 2010
Rhode Island

I sent the engine off to Quinton. He did a great job of rebuilding the engine. I don't remember everything that he had to do maybe he remembers and will chime in.

Last edited:

SlowBalt

Mar 8, 2010
Rhode Island
I started to clean and do some work on the bike today.
The tank had come free of the clamp in the front . I thought I would need a new tank but I was able to fix it.
Turns out that the mount was originally lead soldered to the tank.
I was able to clean and solder the mount by just heating it with a torch and pressing the mount back into place. Now all I need is a cap.
I noticed under the bad metal flake, I could see the outline of what was left of the original decals .

Last edited:

SlowBalt

Mar 8, 2010
Rhode Island
Pulled the wheels they actually are almost true. The only issue is one broken spoke on the rear. I striped most of the rust. I was lucky all the grease on the rim saved the spoke ends I was able to free both spokes that had to be pulled to fix the rim.
I called the oldest bike shop I know of in the area , and the quoted me $30 to replace the spoke.

After that I removed all the sludge and rust from the frame and hit it with some clear.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Slowbalt,
Nice find... lucky you! The engine will be A+ after Quenton did his magic on it. I can't tell what the badge says on the front tube. The frame looks like a Schwinn... is it?

I always wanted a Whizzer, too, from the time I was a little boy studying the advertisements in magazines of the day. That was sixty years ago. I'm finally doing a build this winter which is in the spirit of the Whizzer with belt drive to the rear sheave and uses a 51 Schwinn cantilever frame, but your's is the real deal. Woohoo!
SB

oldtimer54

May 15, 2010
On a bike
Slowbalt,
Nice find... lucky you! The engine will be A+ after Quenton did his magic on it. I can't tell what the badge says on the front tube. The frame looks like a Schwinn... is it?

I always wanted a Whizzer, too, from the time I was a little boy studying the advertisements in magazines of the day. That was sixty years ago. I'm finally doing a build this winter which is in the spirit of the Whizzer with belt drive to the rear sheave and uses a 51 Schwinn cantilever frame, but your's is the real deal. Woohoo!
SB
Could it be a Royal?

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
I might have to take you up on that. How about a trade for a custom bent and welded exhaust for your brigs bike?
I just did up my first exhaust the other day, but if you have a bender I may need a nice u bend with a mount flange on each end. Let me know, I'm shipping some stuff out Monday.

SlowBalt

Mar 8, 2010
Rhode Island
I recovered my first seat today. It came out acceptable for my first try.
I used an old leather jacket I picked up new at a flea market 20 years ago for $30.

SlowBalt

Mar 8, 2010
Rhode Island
Thanks guys. Well I think its time. I'm going to mount the engine then I can start to figure out the controls. Unfortunately I know I cant afford the correct parts so I will be using a good steel mini bike throttle with vintage style grips. And most likely a set of dual locking levers. Like the 2 stroke clutch lever. still have to figure out the compression release.
The Bars are starting to grow on me.

Last edited:

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
I've got this sitting as well, was going to use it for that manual clutch that's still being "developed" One for brake one compression release same mount.

SlowBalt

Mar 8, 2010
Rhode Island
I was wondering if someone could post a picture of the throttle linkage, clutch spring tensioner and cable ,and the compression release in the open and closed position and the linkage for it? Thanks .