Startup Issue

GoldenMotor.com

dmbuggy

Jun 4, 2014
NYC
Hey guys, glad to join the forum!
Um Im having some trouble starting up my 80cc "china girl". I got it running for about a month then something crapped out on me & im not exactly sure what it is. Im still a beginner to this im still learning

Pretty much if im pedaling with the clutch lever pulled inward then when I release the clutch, theres no type of resistance. The cranks still spin freely as if the clutch lever is still inward & the engine doesnt start. I tried tightening my clutch down & cleaning the pads & everything but I dont think that the clutch is the problem at all.. My friend told me that the spark plug could be the problem. Could this be true?:-||

TakeiT

Apr 17, 2014
Oshawa, Ontario
It means your clutch is too loose. Tighten the flower nut until it does rotate without slipping, but when you pull the clutch in it does not.

dmbuggy

Jun 4, 2014
NYC
Actually, Take a look at this video. It's hard to understand, but you should get the point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vy00WcNjeVY

I had the same issue as you and this guy ^ but unfortunately my bike isn't where I am right now or i'd reset mine and film it for you.
I dont think thats the problem I already applied brake cleaner & adjusted my flower nut & clutch arm a gazillion times.. I think the problem is a little more internal

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Sheared or missing keys, busted small primary gear, misadjusted flower nut.
There are only so many ways to get this result....
You need to find the part preventing power transmission through the driveline.

JangAlang

May 8, 2014
illinois
hey there buggy! just a thought- when you pull the clutch plate off do you have a spring underneath or no? Bikeberry stopped putting springs under clutch plate so its a very miniscule adjustment..a pain in the rear if your like me. My advice is to look at the proper clutch and cable adjustment thread and see if you cant fix your problem up. If that doesn't work I would take a guess at what Maniac suggested. To me if you have resistance then it should be a clutch fix unless the sheared key is preventing it from starting...just my 1 cent worth and hope ya get it going

dmbuggy

Jun 4, 2014
NYC
hey there buggy! just a thought- when you pull the clutch plate off do you have a spring underneath or no? Bikeberry stopped putting springs under clutch plate so its a very miniscule adjustment..a pain in the rear if your like me. My advice is to look at the proper clutch and cable adjustment thread and see if you cant fix your problem up. If that doesn't work I would take a guess at what Maniac suggested. To me if you have resistance then it should be a clutch fix unless the sheared key is preventing it from starting...just my 1 cent worth and hope ya get it going
yeahh my clutch does have a spring.. Take a look at the video I posted of my problem back on page 1

JangAlang

May 8, 2014
illinois
ok I took a looksy and it looks like the same thing i was doing last night.. take your clutch cover off and dont put it back on till you adjust it just right. haha JK I took my cover on and off bout 5 times in the midst of these 'adjustments'. Start back from the beginning and adjust like that thread suggests. I DID adjust my clutch and just pushed it to check if the tire locked up. It did. So i pedaled out and did what you were doing in the video. Then i overturned the flowernut and made it too tight and is was still slipping but making a grinding noise. I loosened a 1/4 turn and then like a 16th more and it fired up. IF that doesnt work i would check for a sheared woodruff key. Especially since it was just working.

JangAlang

May 8, 2014
illinois
OH, almost forgot.. take a look at your flower nut and see if its on straight..Look on the underside of it. It might feel straight but could be crooked. Also does it look like theres a little shaved metal around the hole in the middle of the flower nut? My flowernut looked like that and i thought maybe it kept coming loose on the threads..thats when the above happened and i straightened it and got it to fire up.. These results are what i found when it happened to me.. worth a shot if your pulling your hair..hehe .duh.

dmbuggy

Jun 4, 2014
NYC
Thanks so much for the detailed responses. Ill try those things tomorow.. Oh another bit of info:
When I first got the kit I had to assemble the engine myself. One of the piston rings actually snapped but I still put it on broken & the bike functioned fine. Im gonna open her up & see if maybe that could be the issue

dmbuggy

Jun 4, 2014
NYC
Okay I opened her up and the inside of the cylinder was kinda chopped up.
ALSO, the small cog on the clutch where the chain goes over somehow popped off or something & it just jingles there now. :-||:-||

ldrancer

Jun 3, 2014
3rd planet
did your cir clip pop out? of the wrist pin thing in the piston? point them sideways when you install them, keeps them from coming out. and find it, down in your motor before it gets in a main bearing, and get it out. if thats what came out.