Help with ghetto mounted gas tank

GoldenMotor.com

lowrider

Jun 16, 2009
VAB

Mounted with zip ties to the seat. electrical tape it theres so it doesnt look as ghetto as it did before.

I need a better mounting method please help.

any ideas are appreciated.

:-||

Last edited:

skyliner

May 17, 2009
jensen
wow how hard is that thing to fill have you thought about pipe clamps just paint them black should work or maybe even weld it on jb weld might hold also but i would say pipe clamps

lowrider

Jun 16, 2009
VAB
wow how hard is that thing to fill have you thought about pipe clamps just paint them black should work or maybe even weld it on jb weld might hold also but i would say pipe clamps
no problem filling the cap is clear of the seat.

I thought about pipe clamps but if i mount it to the frame it will be to low

HoughMade

Apr 15, 2008
Valparaiso, IN
Here is what I would do...but keep in mind, I go a little overboard.

Either use the strapping above or (and this would ne my preference) use thin strips of steel (2) that will reach around the tank. I would go with abou 3/4" to 1" wide at 22ga of maybe even 26 ga.

Get a "U" bolt at the hardware store- not a muffler clamp, too big. Get a "U" bolt that is just big enough to go around the seat post. Face the "U" bolt up, that is, with the close end down and the open end up. Below is a rough drawing of what I mean. Put the plate across the "U" bolt and tighten it down.

Get the 2 metal strips and bend them around the tank so that one lines up with one side of the bolt, and the other the other side. Then overlap each strip so that the ends cross over the bolt. Drill a hole through both ends, get a washer and nut, and bolt it down on each side.

Again, refer to the rough (very rough) drawing.

Attachments

lowrider

Jun 16, 2009
VAB
Here is what I would do...but keep in mind, I go a little overboard.

Either use the strapping above or (and this would ne my preference) use thin strips of steel (2) that will reach around the tank. I would go with abou 3/4" to 1" wide at 22ga of maybe even 26 ga.

Get a "U" bolt at the hardware store- not a muffler clamp, too big. Get a "U" bolt that is just big enough to go around the seat post. Face the "U" bolt up, that is, with the close end down and the open end up. Below is a rough drawing of what I mean. Put the plate across the "U" bolt and tighten it down.

Get the 2 metal strips and bend them around the tank so that one lines up with one side of the bolt, and the other the other side. Then overlap each strip so that the ends cross over the bolt. Drill a hole through both ends, get a washer and nut, and bolt it down on each side.

Again, refer to the rough (very rough) drawing.

nice very nice I plan on doing this or something similar to this. going to the hardware store today!!