BoXer Race Bicycle transformation!!!!!

GoldenMotor.com

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
As the proud owner of the first production BoXer made, this bicycle has been thru a few transformations. It first started with a 5.8hp air cooled Morini. This motor was very reliable considering the abuse Dean and I put our Bikes thru. We rode our bicycles many miles off road. This bike was the only bike that used a 26" rear wheel. Later we discovered that having a smaller rear wheel help with the low end torque is the dirt.
After many happy hours of trial riding. It was time to race it. I decided that 5.8hp wasn't going to be competitive. So it was time to upgrade to an 11hp h2o cooled Morini. Although it was competitive in the 11hp class, everyone started going bigger and faster. I've had a great time racing as well as hanging out with the SoCal boys At this last race I don't know if my old age is setting in but I didn't feel comfortable going that fast on a bicycle. This is when I decided to slow down and enjoy the scenery.
Lately I've been asking a ton of E questions and finally took the plung and bought a decent kit. Today I had a little bit of "Me" time so I drained all the fluids and took the 2 stroke off.
After that I rode the bike around 5 miles today without the motor and had a blast taking it down to 7-11 for a slurpee.
Now it's all about the waiting game..............

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
Lucky me. I ordered a battery that would have worked ok but after I read some stats on the 48V 15Ah Li-Ion Alloy 05-Case EBike Battery Pack, I found out that it only had a life of 800 charges.
I emailed the seller and asked to upgrade it to a 48v 20AH Lifepo4 battery pack. He said it would cost $131 more so I didn't hesitate and paid it real quick.
The difference is this pack has a life of 2000+ charges plus a longer ride time per charge.
Now I hope it will fit!

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
i tried to pedal around here before i got the electric however the hills are to much for this old man. the electric motorized bicycle you will find the peace and fun just like pedaling but going a lot faster and a lot more fun. unlike my gas bikes the electric i can pedal around when i want to which i do a lot with the mountain bike. its like the best of both worlds

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
Funny story....
As most of you guys know, I raced this bike for two years and never dropped the bike. My son and I were going to go for a bike ride down to Quickly's for smoothies. He wanted to ride my BoXer without the motor. I told him "Be careful because it has strong brakes and its missing a handle bar grip. He throws on a bicycle helmet and starts riding it around. He taps the front brakes, flips the bike, over the bars he goes and lands on his hands gracefully. As he looks over at me grinning because he knew he messed up, the bike lands on top of him and drives his 125lb body into the pavement. I wasn't laughing at the time of the incident but after I relized he was okay but banged up, I couldn't stop laughing. After prying the bike off of him, he brought the bike back into the garage. Just then I relized, that was the first time my bike went down and I didn't need new Hope Disc Brakes.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
Batteries Batteries Batteries!!!!

I just recieved an email for the company I'm buying my equipment from. On their website, they didn't post the dimensions of the battery pack I was buying. The email said the dimension is 80x215x275mm and that equates to 3.1"x8.5"x10.8". Relizing that was an unusual size, I went into the garage and was trying to fiqure out a way to mount the battery. There was no way to make it fit nicely and clean so I sent another email staing if I could change my order again and without hesitation they said no problem. I ended up finding another battery (48V 20Ah 38120 LiFePO4 Battery 32 Cells 2P16S EBike Battery Pack) discharge current at 30-60 ampswith the dimensions of 150x160x350mm or 5.9"x6.3"x13.8". Of course it was $107 more but I'd rather spend extra $$$ and have the correct fitting battery then something that would look funky.
I spoke to Dean and if there's an interest in these bikes, he might start making the frames again.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
hmm... I seem to remember you're getting a 'pie & to the best of my knowledge the MPs peak at 20a draw w/o controller mods - but that's ok as it's far better to have a battery with more capability then you need than not enough as the latter can result in damage & ofc you may mod the controller someday.

I dunno whom you're getting your battery pack from, but if you're not interested in a factory case and & you're willing to make your own - pingbattery will split their packs for you, when I had it done it cost about $10 for the extra wiring & wrap.

Jus' some info ;)

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
i will try to get some pictures later today of my new set up. i have my batteries on a rear rack in a bag. its a pretty nice set up and can help give you more ideas. daughter is visiting and the bike is in her room so i have to wait till later when she gets up

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
I want a bare battery pack in shrink wrap because I'm making a tray that will fit nicely inside of the frame. I'm going to use my motor mounts for holding the tray in place and the battery is 1/2" thinner than the frame so it should work out and look clean.
This was the battery pack they (BMS Batteries) recommended. I was thinking of getting a ping battery but the shipping for the battery from a different vendor will cost a bunch more. Only if Ping also sold Magic pies.

Last edited:

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
Baird,
I'll probably race a 1000w class or just chill out in the pits and cruise around.
As long as I get to hang out....it's all good.

ocho ninja

Jan 14, 2012
San Jose, CA
Dang, i don't think my pockets are deep enough...
you have any work around the house that needs to be done? possibly work out some kinda of trade haha