Titan on a Stanton Friction Drive

GoldenMotor.com

ut1205

Jul 4, 2009
Tennessee
Has anyone put a Titan 4 stroke on a Stanton Friction drive setup? If so, other than the engine and throttle, what additional parts would be required.

I e-mailed Stanton about a Honda 49cc 4 stroke upgrade and even though they didn't tell me what parts are required, they priced the upgrade at $400.00+.

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
The Staton and BMP look nearly Identical. Except the Staton looks like aluminum painted black. I may be wrong, but it looks alloy to me. The BMP is Steel. Also. Not sure if the Roller for the Staton is a Sprag or not. But I must say, looking at the pictures, they look at or near the same in design and application. But.. Since I have never installed a Staton to Titan nor do I know yet anyone that has, I can not say if it will work. They do sell the Staton with the 76mm bell which is what you will need. I may have to purchase a Staton and give it a try. They look good. Staton does make good stuff for sure. Enjoy the ride...

ut1205

Jul 4, 2009
Tennessee
Thanks for the reply. I have the EH035 R/S engine and am running a 1" roller due to hills. It has a 76 mm clutch. I am happy with it but wish it had a little more low end torque. On the flats it will do 21-22 mph and that's as fast as I want to go but I would like it not to "drop off" so much on hills. Would the Titan help with this? I don't want to go with the 3/4" roller because it would lower my top speed.

If you find out if it will fit please post it. I am a potential customer.

ocscully

Jan 6, 2008
Orange County, CA
Thanks for the reply. I have the EH035 R/S engine and am running a 1" roller due to hills. It has a 76 mm clutch. I am happy with it but wish it had a little more low end torque. On the flats it will do 21-22 mph and that's as fast as I want to go but I would like it not to "drop off" so much on hills. Would the Titan help with this? I don't want to go with the 3/4" roller because it would lower my top speed.

If you find out if it will fit please post it. I am a potential customer.
If your current motor is the 35cc Robin the Titan will be a direct bolt up, remove and replace operation.

ocscully

ut1205

Jul 4, 2009
Tennessee
Thanks for the reply. My Stanton kit came fully assembled so I didn't know if the bolt pattern was the same. I am assuming that I would use my existing "Clutch Bell". Don't know if the throttle cable "end" is the same. It appears that the Titan is a clone of the Honda GXH 50 engine. The Honda engine on Stanton's website is $269.00 so I don't know why they told me it would be over $400.00 to upgrade.

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
Well.. If the Titan performs as well on the Staton as it does for the BMP, you will have more climbing power than you can imagine. I am 6000-9000 feet and I have no problems pulling hills with the 1.25 inch roller. But again. I have not mounted a Titan to a Staton as of yet. On a bit of bad news, At around 50 miles, my Clutch bell has broken off of my BMP Kit roller. I noticed the well that attaches the bell to the Roller was shallow at best. Not sure why the welders would not put a more serious well on such a critical part. I will have to mention it to James at BMP . I will also update my post on Titan with BMP with pictures. I have a wire feed welder so it should be an easy fix. Also. It may just be that the welder missed my BMP kit. This is my first BMP kit to test with Titan. So.. It may be that mine was one of the missed welds. But. When I get done with it. IT will hold for sure.

Buddy

Jul 7, 2009
Ogden, Utah
I have both a Titan and a Staton R/S EHO35 rack mount chain drives. It's kinda hard to do a direct comparison because the Staton uses a reduction gearbox but the Titan definitely pulls hills considerably better. I have to pedal on some hills with the Staton that the Titan will gain speed on if starting out at mid RPM. And the Titan will do that with higher gearing. I don't have a computer on the Staton yet but I'd guess it's top speed is about 5 MPH less than the Titan.

Last edited:

motorbiker

Mar 22, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
Thanks for the reply. My Stanton kit came fully assembled so I didn't know if the bolt pattern was the same. I am assuming that I would use my existing "Clutch Bell". Don't know if the throttle cable "end" is the same. It appears that the Titan is a clone of the Honda GXH 50 engine. The Honda engine on Stanton's website is $269.00 so I don't know why they told me it would be over $400.00 to upgrade.
The friction drive kit with no motor is $229. Motorized Bicycles Detail Page

The motor is $269. Motorized Bicycles Detail Page

The kit with motor is $599. Motorized Bicycles Detail Page

I don't get it ?

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
It may be that the Honda motor comes with no rotor clutch or springs. The Clutch or rotor clutch must also be bought separate for the Honda. If you buy the kit, I think it may come complete with clutch thus the higher cost. I am guessing. The Titan on the other hand does come with clutch pack or Rotor clutch for 174.99............... To buy the Honda with Clutch pack will be well over 300 and has the governor carb which will need to be over come for top end performance and oil alert which will need to be disabled as well.

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
wow !! No kidding. I had no idea. That really does stick way way out there. Wow !! That would seem like it would put a ton of leverage on that setup sticking that far out. OMGosh !!

SeanKuykendall

Sep 27, 2009
Fort Worth, Tx
Well, I'll Chime in as a relative newbie to the site. I have built one 66cc two stroke and installed a Staton with the Subaru eh35, I am going the other way with the titan. I just bought the shift kit and Titan set up. If it performs like I suspect, I will take my Subaru off the friction drive and install it on a shift forward mount kit. The Subaru is legendary for reliability and performance but who knows? I am looking forward to running the Titan. If it can do the job as a daily commuter and give me more power on the hills and flats I'm all in to replace the Subaru as well, I'll keep ya guys posted.

Buddy

Jul 7, 2009
Ogden, Utah
The Subaru is a pretty good runner but it's too noisy. Just putting along it's not too bad but I live where there's pretty much nothing but hills and it's too loud going up hills. The Titan is quieter, or maybe it's just the Titan exhaust is out the rear and the Subaru is out the side, I think it's the first one though and the Titan is considerably quieter.

bandito

May 22, 2009
colorado
I think the titan has 1.2 more hp than the subaru and lots more torque on the low end. Ever get woken up by a landscaper using a weed eater or a blower, you can hear them suckers 1/2 a block away.

Buddy

Jul 7, 2009
Ogden, Utah
The specs on that Titan vary from site to site. I've seen HP rated at anywhere from 2-2.5, the Subaru is 1.6. In the one real world test I've seen of the Honda GXH50 the Titan was cloned from HP was 2.1, it's rated 2.5. The Subaru would be less than the 1.6 claimed in the real world too.

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
Hi.. Just a few points. I have been dealing in Engines since the early 70's. I have sold, rebuilt, repaired all sorts of Gas, Propane, and Diesel engines. European, Asian, American. Honda, Kaw, BMW, Kohler, Onan, Wisconsin Robin, Briggs, Tech, and on and on. I have run and tested all sorts. We at DAX have been in Business for over 26 years. We have been here for a long time. All that is in the past.. Here is the Current and latest. The Titan XC50 is a 49cc 4 stroke motor. Approximately. I will put it up against any other 50cc 4 stroke made. Any.. Honda, KAW, Yamaha. Any.. It is that good. I know my engines. I have a Honda GXH50. I also have Titans. I know what I am talking about here. In many ways, the Titan is superior since it fits the bicycle applications much better. The GXH requires a clutch pack to be purchased in addition to the motor. Also the clutch pack for the GXH is cumbersome and requires a totally different setup. It just is not as lean and for the applications we run, not the best choice. That is why, working with S H Factory, we have chosen the motor we have and called Titan. So far, in the past 2 years of Selling Titan, we have had 3 failures. 1 was due to a gear box failure and as a consequence took the motor out. The other 2 were due to noobies failure to put oil into the crankcase. You do ship these with oil in them.. right? answer is.. No.. We do not ship them with oil in the crankcase. Each engine is factory run and tested. Oil is drained and then shipped. That explains why you got 2 hours of run time before the motor seized.. I must admit.. I was amazed that these customers got over 2 hrs of run time with no oil in the crank case. Amazing !! I figured you would get 2 mins. Not 2 hours. Are they telling me right? Probably not..I have never run a motor with no oil in the gas or in the crank case. Never. I did install crank bearing incorrectly one time, I did not line the oil hole up properly. It ran for a few mins.. And then... slowed.. And then.. Froze.. . At any rate. After admitting they thought the engines were shipped with oil in them, and then told no. Well.. They of coruse feel bad, and then I feel bad too since it is their first 4 stroke motor or first motor ever, and they made such a bad mistake. Ok..Long on wind here. Forgive me. But.. My point being, The Titan is a solid , very solid, engine that is making a name for itself. Those that compare it with Honda GXH are making good comparisons. The Honda is a wonderful Engine. Just wonderful.. So is the Titan.. Just superb.. Did you know that the Honda GXH50 is made in China? It has been for several years now... anyway....In the Future, I may swap some parts from my Honda to Titan and see what all is interchangeable and works well. I know that many Honda Owners use Titan Carbs with great Results. I am sure there are other parts than can be swapped as well. I can tell you this. We test. Extensively. And once our Engineers are convinced we have a superior product, then we will sell it. ........ Enjoy the ride...

Last edited:

SeanKuykendall

Sep 27, 2009
Fort Worth, Tx
Well, the saga begins. After a few hiccups with getting parts that were not defective, I am all set to go with my Titan/Scooter Guy set up right? Wrong. One more adjustment, to actually shift to more than one usable gear I took my wheel to a bike shop to have the rear cassette sprockets changed to a custom set up. All for about 100.00 usd. Hey, I not complaining but it bothers me more that I have to wait two weeks for more parts. I have tried everything to not have to this and I do appreciate Jerry's advice. He has tried to help as much as he could. I haven't built like 50 of these or anything but I am pretty well versed with a wrench and I understand EVERY bike is diiferent and requires different approaches. Overall, I am getting less and less excited and more and more frustrated. I will let ya know how it goes once I get it all going.:-||:-||:-||

SeanKuykendall

Sep 27, 2009
Fort Worth, Tx
The Titan will bolt right up, same bolt pattern, spacing etc. The clutch is the same size and the throttle cables are interchangeable!

SeanKuykendall

Sep 27, 2009
Fort Worth, Tx
Decided to go with the 24t sprocket but ordered a 26t in case of need for speed kicks in, Ordered pipe from thats dax and some grips, stuff to play with while I wait for the wheel. Overall so far I would reccommend ThatsDax and Scooter Guy set up, Jerry and Duane ARE stand up to work with. I hope my frustration with fitting hasn't shed any dark light on them. They are helpful and I can't thank them enough for prompt service on the part issue's. I will let ya know how it all goes when I get the wheel back!