R e o build

GoldenMotor.com

RAT ROD

Feb 7, 2013
RIVERSIDE CA
Trying to pin a picture to my story as a test. This drawing is a 1 to 1 scale and shows a motor from a 1949 Rocket lawnmower with a 1 hp briggs. I planned using it because of the lever start mech. It sat on the fake crankcase / jackshaft but was under powered or to tired for easy riding.

Attachments

RAT ROD

Feb 7, 2013
RIVERSIDE CA
Thanks I like the final bike. I used the drawing to make the pieces then made a jig to hold them in place , layed down flat on top of the picture. Then tack weld and recheck for alignment and put out the fire on my drawing. Meant to take pictures of all those steps but got rolling and forgot.

Attachments

RAT ROD

Feb 7, 2013
RIVERSIDE CA
You are correct sir. I did cut the rear frame and make a bolting plate just in front of the rear drop out (rear axle bracket) look in the lower right side of picture, just take out 2 bolts and tweek the frame a little in she goes.

Attachments

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
This is going to be a awesome build,i was thinking of doing something like your jackshaft mount. I to have a old Briggs and a Clinton and would work good on eather.
Loven it, take lots of pictures .............Curt

PS went to a habatat store and got some domed lights that have a nice round top like the ends on the tank about 7" or 8" tall Might want to check it out

Last edited:

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
RR,
I love that build. I have been building a new bike quite similar(but lesser). Could be a cousin to your build. Great iminagition and fabrication. Are the overhead valves part of the original engene? Is that a gear reduction on that great engine? Can't say what a great that is. Are the tanks steel or alum? Are they heavy? What is the engine model #? Did you have any bottom bracket clearance problems.

Jim E

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
RR, Went back to look at it again and had to chuckle as that is also one of the names(short list) that I was thinkig about. Great great job on the patina paint job. Much as I love that antique look, I doubt that I could duplicate it. Again great build!

RAT ROD

Feb 7, 2013
RIVERSIDE CA
Thanks for the suport guys, I'm having trouble keeping up with the questions.The valves on the engine are from a vw and there just for the effect, wish I could actually make them move up and down. The tanks on the bike are .095 steel tubing as are the wekd caps all from local metal supply. The small briggs I tried to use first was a replacement for a old REO engine from a 1950's lawnmower but that one had a broken cam shaft. I kept the REO name and the engine id plate to use on the bike you can see it mounted below the seat. T briggs was not powerful enough so rounded up a gear reduction Tananka 2 cycle 66cc I think.

Attachments

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
RR,
I built my tank the sam way just smaller dia. What is the vertical tank function. Great job on making the engine look even older than it is. I have a similar engine but with the kick start. Thanks for posting the engine photo.

RAT ROD

Feb 7, 2013
RIVERSIDE CA
Ha R ..... That other tank is representing a oil tank and pump handle. I think they used a total loss oiling system in the old days and had to pump up pressure to oil engine the unit behind the seat post could of been used for the same purpose but it's my tool box. These pics show the bike in its pressent form with a classic B T tank. Got a Harbor Freight bead roller for Xmas and just had to make something for the bike, it's 16 g sheet steel with a brass garden hose end used for a filler neck. The vent on old tank perked gas out top so did an internal vent and then down to bottom of frame loop.

Attachments

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
RR,
I like the looks of the new tank better. However it takes away from the rat rod essence. How did the bead roller come into play as far as making the tank goes? Have looked at those bead rollers at HF but only thought of using them to stiffen sheet metal with a running bead!

My first BTR tank was similar to your new one other than it was devided into two sections (Main and Reserve).

Last edited:

RAT ROD

Feb 7, 2013
RIVERSIDE CA
The H F bead roller is nice but needs stiffning as it tends to let the rollers walk back and forth. I used it to raise a panel on each side then just hammered the edge over a little and welded her up had to use tank sealer for the first time as 16ga steel was hard to weld up tite.

RAT ROD

Feb 7, 2013
RIVERSIDE CA
Ha Dark I'm retired so have a lot o time and the speed is around 35-40 I guess, but it's to dang fast for me. Good luck with ur build. Dave

john young

Jan 12, 2013
London Kentucky
Rat Rod,
Could you shoot a couple pictures of the engine from both sides so us newbies can see how you pulled off the valves. What motor is that? I'm starting to pile up parts to start my first BTR bike and need all the help I can get. Thanks,

john young

Jan 12, 2013
London Kentucky
Hey Rat, Thanks for the close up photos. Great looking bike. I didn't see anywhere in your post and I want to know. What is that motor - make, mode;, year. I have my frame and tanks on the way, my wheels and some more parts coming from Pat at Sportsman. I am gathering all the goodies to start my build and will start a new post in a few weeks on my new, first build. Need a motor that will look close for my 1914 Indian prospect. Want a engine that sits straight up with round cylinder and head. Suggestions from everyone - I need your input.