New barrel/piston lasted 5 mins!

GoldenMotor.com

triride

Jun 28, 2013
U.K.
Hi, I have a China girl (80cc) engine with fm80 con rod.
I had a couple of good years out of the original barrel/piston then needed to replace, the new barrel/piston I fitted only lasted a few weeks and never really bedded in!
On stripping, the rings where totalled as was the barrel and piston.
The rings had obviously moved off the location pins and got caught on the ports.
Is there a good quality upgrade top end I can fit to this engine or is it a case of buy a new engine and if so what would you recommend as a bullet proof engine?

Cheers, Pete.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
I'd really suggest a new motor at this point - not only because there may be chunks hiding in bottom end now, but also because you may have gotten the wrong top end or installed it wrong last time. There are so many diffs now with no markings to say which fits what.

triride

Jun 28, 2013
U.K.
Thanks for the advise crassius!
Can you recommend a good 2 stroke engine that will last,not too bothered about top end as long as I can get good low torque for climbing the hills where I live!
Thanks, Pete.

triride

Jun 28, 2013
U.K.
Just been searching on Ebay and found a Gru-bee Skyhawk 66cc GT5A. $188 + $68 delivery to the U.K.
All the other engine kits look very suspect!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Piston rings don't just "moved off the location pins and got caught on the ports". It isn't physically possible. My guess is the rings were not installed correctly to begin with. You can't blame incorrect installation on the engine. My question would be, why you felt the need to replace the piston and cylinder?

There are too many of us with thousands of miles on Chinese 2 stroke engines and lots of experience with them to convince us that poor quality was the cause of your premature engine failures.
Be more careful next time when you install the piston rings and cylinder. Sorry, I'm not trying to insult you, it's just my take on your engine failure based on what you're telling us.

Tom

Last edited:

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
I get wholesale kits and am not certain my vendor has same quality on the retail level - if you are not in a hurry, you should be able to get a good recommendation from someone here with a high post count (US is mid-holiday right now).