Oval shaped chainstay issue

GoldenMotor.com

ballinchestr

Mar 6, 2014
Central MA
I'm building a bike for a friend, and the chainstay is oval shaped. This makes mounting the tensioner very difficult, because tightening the bracket makes it turn outwards, when it should face slightly inwards to properly guide the chain. Anyone have a workaround for this?

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
no, oval is much better than round - try putting roller on other side & turning tensioner around, or try bending long side of tensioner in a vise, or many other ways to get it to line up

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I agree with Crassius but I'll add that the tensioner is not a guide. You should rely on proper chain and sprocket alignment, not the tensioner. It is a 'tensioner', not a chain guide.

Almost without exception the tensioner brackets need to be bent and/or twisted to get the tensioner wheel to align with the chain path. If the chain stay is oval that will help keep the tensioner bracket from rotating inward into the spokes if tightened correctly.
As they come from the factory all brackets are the wrong shape or angle.

Keep your chain tension at 1/2" to 3/4" of slack and your drive and driven sprockets aligned. Maintain chain tension with the tensioner. It should not drag the chain to either side but run true with the chain.

Tom

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
one note, if the chainstay is very small in diameter, I like to saw off an inch or so of old handlebar & cut it lengthwise to pack in as a hard steel spacer to help anchor the tensioner

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
as I've mentioned before, there is not one right way to do most things on these bikes, but many wrong ways - it is often just a matter of finding a way that works for you