KC Mid Drive Electric Motors

GoldenMotor.com

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Admin' Paul has the coolest ebike battery case I have ever seen ! :)
Filled with a Cellman battery pack ! :)
Top that if you can ! :)
Can't top the cool look and sheer power of the 'Cellman Paul's' triangle battery packs I looking buy a few of or Admin Pauls cool leather case, but for some builds you just don't need or even want that kind of power.

Take this 3-speed e-Bike for a mom and daughter that barley stand 5' tall with very short legs and weigh under 130 pounds we just finished this morning.

A 24" wheel 3-speed Macargi Rover they can get both feet on the ground sitting on with the seat all the way down.

It's a pretty wimpy battery at 36V 10.2 Ah but it looks pretty cool, has a 'fuel gauge' and on-off switch switch on the battery, and a Keylock on the base mount to easily swap batteries if need be, and I supplied 2 batteries with chargers, one for work, one for home.

Besides height and weight it was important it be nearly mindless to maintain, operate, and be able to be stored indoors in an apartment and I think I pulled it off pretty well ;-}

It has the SickBike 36V electric shift kit on it and man do gears like a 3-speed make a difference.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Re: New Em3ev 50v Electric Bicycle Battery

The mechanical part of the Specialized drive is in and I am loving it.

The bottom of the frame has a set of screws built in the frame for a 3rd water bottle I would guess.

Opposed to using the big water hose clamp around the motor to hold a zip tie to give the motor a 3rd mount point, we just used a piece of sheet metal and made a bracket to attach the motor to the underside of the bike frame as it had a mounting point!

The custom piece is hard to spot but that's the whole point.
That motor won't be turning or moving no mater what you throw at it, and the way it fits in with the painted mounts it looks and functions like like a manufactured bike and not an add-on kit.

I haven't gotten to the motor chain tensioner yet, but we have the chain pretty close with a 1/2 link and after some test runs to break everything in we can pull the 1/2 link out and the chain tensioner won't even be needed but I'll add one anyway for later adjustment or chain replacing.

We'll spend a couple more days getting everything as cool as possible, I even have an idea and a part to put a regular looking beach cruiser chain guard on the right, but then it's wait 3 weeks or so for the battery to get here.

Arrgghhh, it's hard to wait when you really REALLY want to see something done and ride it.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
How do you like the chain drive motors compared to hub motors, KC?
I can't compare them as I have never installed a hub motor or even rode an electric with one on it.

What I do know is all hub motors like all installed direct drive gas motors are single speed and I live for getting the most from any power source with geared mechanical advantage whenever I have the chance.

This goes way back to the early '70s when I took a road trip with my dad to remote Northern AZ is is Chevy S-10 with a '3 on the tree' and he wanted to teach me to drive it even though I was only like 13 years old.

The '3 on the tree' linkage broke on the way back home (ya, probably my bad) so dad put the truck in 2nd manually at the tranney and explained how to make it go stuck in second so we could get home.

It sucked but we got home.
To me not using a bikes gears is the same thing.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I learned to drive in a 64 Chevy with a 3 on the tree. The shifter would sometimes hangup between first and second gear, keeping you in first for a while.
My dad had a 62 Falcon 2dr with a 3 on the tree. I really liked that car but he sold it before I was old enough to learn to drive. It looked very futuristic for the times, with the low aero grill and rocket tail lights.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Can you adjust chain teinsion with that motor mount, for the front sproket there on that electric ?

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Can you adjust chain teinsion with that motor mount, for the front sproket there on that electric ?
No, the motor mounts are a fixed length from the 3-piece BB where they mount with this kit.

That doesn't mean you can't make your own mount, heck I made my own muffler clamp style mounts for my early electric builds and all 3 trikes

It does however come with a spiffy spring loaded tensioner on it, The BB mounts really well, and the chain is very close to 'ideal tight' anyway.
With the motors freewheel output sprocket that tensioner don't complain just pedaling with no power either.

I really like this type of setup because, well, I really like having gears with my power and I know how to use 'em ;-}

Last edited:

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
is there a mid drive kit for a wide bottom bracket like the mongoose dolomite, or beast
That's a heck of fat tire bike.

I like the dual discs, my Sun Crusier has V brakes but the cavity was big enough to fit a 2-stroke in it.

It looks like a gas engine won't fit the Mongoose but an electric will.

The 48V SickBikes kit should work just fine on that, it has spacers and washers to fit the motor in tight between the BB mounts.
http://www.sickbikeparts.com/catalo...ucts_id=181&osCsid=7iou1km0hv7lsn04oebilrip67

I have the perfect battery and charger in stock for that frame and system as well.
EM3ev 50V Lithium Ion with good built in BMS and 3 voltage charger for 100%, 90% and 50% charge.

This is that setup in that Specialized.

I bought 3 sets to help offset the overseas charges and have 1 set left to sell.
$895 + shipping of 40 pounds from Phoenix, AZ 85021 to you.
Just contact me via my web sites Contact form if you want it.

Last edited: