Panniers

GoldenMotor.com

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Before I made a sidecar I used both kinds of Wald rear baskets, the folding and older rigid type. They work well and never had any issues with either kind. I would suggest changing the nuts to nylocks or use lock tite since the vibration of a motor tends to loosen the nuts.Both types of racks hold about the same amount... each side will hold a paper grocery bag. The folding type are not inexpensive, but are also not cheaply made. Being able to fold up when not in use tucks the baskets up closely against the bike and makes mounting easier. The lower your baskets or panniers the better for keeping the center of gravity low. Heavy stuff on a front rack or sitting on top of a rear rack can make handling dicey.
SB

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
You probably can't tell from the pic, but the supports actually prevent the corners of the bags from being pulled into the spokes. That's the whole point of having them.

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
Before I made a sidecar I used both kinds of Wald rear baskets, the folding and older rigid type. They work well and never had any issues with either kind. I would suggest changing the nuts to nylocks or use lock tite since the vibration of a motor tends to loosen the nuts.Both types of racks hold about the same amount... each side will hold a paper grocery bag. The folding type are not inexpensive, but are also not cheaply made. Being able to fold up when not in use tucks the baskets up closely against the bike and makes mounting easier. The lower your baskets or panniers the better for keeping the center of gravity low. Heavy stuff on a front rack or sitting on top of a rear rack can make handling dicey.
SB
Definitely, Wald baskets themselves - even the folding 582s - are not light. I count 5lbs for a pair of 582s, and about 7.5lbs for a 157 (delivery-size) all empty.

Wald's baskets are still made in Kentucky by Americans, no Chinese stuff there! :D