Where do i buy a longer connecting rod??

GoldenMotor.com

kyle5647

Sep 2, 2013
marietta
ok, i have a couple of questions, ive looked everywhere and havent seemed to fine a long connecting rod, to increase your stroke. where do i get one?? preferably i would like it to be a whole new crank not just a rod.

also ive seen so many high performance expansion chambers, not sure which one to choose.

ive seen the snake exhaust, the short expansion chamber with no silencer, vodoo exhaust, all this ive seen from JN motors not sure which is the best.

how good are the reeds?? do they really help as much as people say?

what are other mods to get me more power (like hauling power cuz i live in a hilly place)

just a quick question out of curiosity, do they actually sell 80cc engines that are 80cc not 66cc and advertised as 80cc??

thanks in advanced!!!! :D
.shft.

ivan H

Oct 8, 2011
australia
Hi, with regard to the rod & crank, I have no idea. With regard to the 66/80cc, I "believe" they are all 66cc. They largest capacity Chinagirl that I know of is the Rock Solid Engines 70cc, which is an actual 70cc. Their piston physically wont fit in a 66cc cylinder. They also come "out of the box" already completely torn down & rebuilt with much higher quality bearings & fasteners than the stock Chinese items & are available in 3 states of tune. As to the expansion chambers, which is "best" is a very subjective question. I personally like the SBP chamber as a general all rounder. Gives good performance, very easilly tuned & adaptable to most any application mean it has a lot going for it. Reeds definitely give a good increase in haulling power (torque), so long as u correctly modify ur motor for use of them. The most important mod is to port ur piston to allow intake to the crankcase thru 180 degrees. If done well u can figure up to around a 30% increase in torque. A sizeable upjet is required when adding reeds & allowing the increase in intake duration. Cheers

mew905

Sep 24, 2012
Moose Jaw
ok, i have a couple of questions, ive looked everywhere and havent seemed to fine a long connecting rod, to increase your stroke. where do i get one?? preferably i would like it to be a whole new crank not just a rod.

also ive seen so many high performance expansion chambers, not sure which one to choose.

ive seen the snake exhaust, the short expansion chamber with no silencer, vodoo exhaust, all this ive seen from JN motors not sure which is the best.

how good are the reeds?? do they really help as much as people say?

what are other mods to get me more power (like hauling power cuz i live in a hilly place)

just a quick question out of curiosity, do they actually sell 80cc engines that are 80cc not 66cc and advertised as 80cc??

thanks in advanced!!!! :D
.shft.
1. Longer rod cranks can be found at www.motorizedbicycle.ca . They sell the Grubee GT5 kits which have the 85mm rods, all the others, by comparison have 80mm rods. All have 38mm strokes.

1b. If you want a STROKED crank, you'll either have to make one yourself or ask around. Arrow made a few and they can be found in their super-super high performance 9hp race motors as far as I know, otherwise, to my knowledge, they are not for sale.

2. A good pipe is best made on your own. Getting some 3/4 or 1" I.D. Steel pipe for a header (you only need 2 feet maximum), Sheet metal for the belly (chamber, a 2' x 2' should be plenty, 18 ga. or about 1mm thick), and a 1/2" steel pipe for a stinger (you only need about 6-8" of this) However aftermarket, prebuilt pipes... its hard to say. Arrow uses the zig-zag race pipe JNM sells on their 9hp motors. Each pipe has its own characteristics for which your motor needs to be tuned for. Torque pipes will need torque tuning, race pipes will need race tuning. This is for full effect of course, you CAN just put a pipe on an untuned motor and get more power, but for your needs, you'll want a longer, slender expansion pipe (giving you a broader power band)

3. Reeds are great on many, many levels. They do not normally increase torque because the nature is they restrict air flow (and at higher RPMs mean they dont close completely), but allow better breathing through much longer intake strokes. If you have a 66cc, get Arrow reeds, RSE are the closest to a direct bolt on, but are so small and restricting, arrow can breathe well enough to get high RPM's out of your motor.
Reeds help through reed porting your piston (cutting a large window into the intake side to let air in even when the port is normally closed, this reduces piston weight, which therefore reduces vibrations = good for bearings. It also allows air flow by the wrist pin bearing, bringing oil with it and lubricating it.), boost porting your cylinder (a shallow groove dremeled into the side of the cylinder reaching up from the top of the intake port, as high as the transfers are. This needs to be about 6mm wide, and a very shallow angle so the side transfers air gets "scooped" up and out of the cylinder).

4. Getting "hauling power" (or towing power, aka torque) is difficult on 2-stroke engines due to the nature of the piston doing the port work. They work best at high RPMs. If you're having trouble getting up hills, you may want to invest in a larger sprocket (48 or 56 Teeth if it's really bad) which is the cheap way out. The disadvantage: you'll lose top end speed. I calculate that if you can do 40 kph (~25mph) with the 44T sprocket, with a 48T you'll do 37kph (~22.8mph) and with a 56T you'll do 31kph (19.5mph)

The alternative is getting a shift kit, which will get you low gears for hill climbing and high gears for top speed. The draw back? it's install difficulty is above the kit install, and it's complicated, you can't do rolling momentum starts without a fixed gear hub (so you'd have to get going first, let go of the clutch, and start pedalling again to start the engine)

However there are a *few* mods that will get the low end power you're looking for: Higher compression, torque pipe or expansion pipe with long header, intake extension (silicone tube works great for this), widening ports (do not make them taller!), a stroked crank (more displacement), a better carb, [controversial] transfer port angle corrections, and timing changes (advancing the magneto a few degrees).

And finally 5. No, all our china HT kits are 66cc and some are 70cc (40mm stroke), none are 80cc unless they're stroked or overbored in a custom job.

ivan H

Oct 8, 2011
australia
When I added the reeds & properly ported & jetted for, all else the same, torque (rotational force applied to the crank) is exactly wot was increased. With a shift kit & 8 speed cassette, b4 the reeds I was using 6th as top as it didnt have the torque to use the orher 2 gears (& I probably could've wound 5th out to higher speed than 6th because of the same reason). After adding the reeds & properly porting & jetting for I can easily use all 8 gears because it has the torque to keep twisting that crank. Cheers

Arrowcycles

Feb 15, 2012
La Habra, CA
1. Longer rod cranks can be found at www.motorizedbicycle.ca . They sell the Grubee GT5 kits which have the 85mm rods, all the others, by comparison have 80mm rods. All have 38mm strokes.

1b. If you want a STROKED crank, you'll either have to make one yourself or ask around. Arrow made a few and they can be found in their super-super high performance 9hp race motors as far as I know, otherwise, to my knowledge, they are not for sale.

2. A good pipe is best made on your own. Getting some 3/4 or 1" I.D. Steel pipe for a header (you only need 2 feet maximum), Sheet metal for the belly (chamber, a 2' x 2' should be plenty, 18 ga. or about 1mm thick), and a 1/2" steel pipe for a stinger (you only need about 6-8" of this) However aftermarket, prebuilt pipes... its hard to say. Arrow uses the zig-zag race pipe JNM sells on their 9hp motors. Each pipe has its own characteristics for which your motor needs to be tuned for. Torque pipes will need torque tuning, race pipes will need race tuning. This is for full effect of course, you CAN just put a pipe on an untuned motor and get more power, but for your needs, you'll want a longer, slender expansion pipe (giving you a broader power band)

3. Reeds are great on many, many levels. They do not normally increase torque because the nature is they restrict air flow (and at higher RPMs mean they dont close completely), but allow better breathing through much longer intake strokes. If you have a 66cc, get Arrow reeds, RSE are the closest to a direct bolt on, but are so small and restricting, arrow can breathe well enough to get high RPM's out of your motor.
Reeds help through reed porting your piston (cutting a large window into the intake side to let air in even when the port is normally closed, this reduces piston weight, which therefore reduces vibrations = good for bearings. It also allows air flow by the wrist pin bearing, bringing oil with it and lubricating it.), boost porting your cylinder (a shallow groove dremeled into the side of the cylinder reaching up from the top of the intake port, as high as the transfers are. This needs to be about 6mm wide, and a very shallow angle so the side transfers air gets "scooped" up and out of the cylinder).

4. Getting "hauling power" (or towing power, aka torque) is difficult on 2-stroke engines due to the nature of the piston doing the port work. They work best at high RPMs. If you're having trouble getting up hills, you may want to invest in a larger sprocket (48 or 56 Teeth if it's really bad) which is the cheap way out. The disadvantage: you'll lose top end speed. I calculate that if you can do 40 kph (~25mph) with the 44T sprocket, with a 48T you'll do 37kph (~22.8mph) and with a 56T you'll do 31kph (19.5mph)

The alternative is getting a shift kit, which will get you low gears for hill climbing and high gears for top speed. The draw back? it's install difficulty is above the kit install, and it's complicated, you can't do rolling momentum starts without a fixed gear hub (so you'd have to get going first, let go of the clutch, and start pedalling again to start the engine)

However there are a *few* mods that will get the low end power you're looking for: Higher compression, torque pipe or expansion pipe with long header, intake extension (silicone tube works great for this), widening ports (do not make them taller!), a stroked crank (more displacement), a better carb, [controversial] transfer port angle corrections, and timing changes (advancing the magneto a few degrees).

And finally 5. No, all our china HT kits are 66cc and some are 70cc (40mm stroke), none are 80cc unless they're stroked or overbored in a custom job.
that's not a jnm pipe on my race bike sorry

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
a longer rod will NOT give you more stroke !

it will only move the piston up in the jug , your stroke is determained by the grind on the crank and there are only 2 grinds available a 38mm stroke and a 40mm stroke ... so if you have a 66cc you caant just change the rod to a longer one and make it a stroker, all you will have is a 66cc that has a piuston that sits too high up in the jug.

however if you want to stroke a 66cc to a 70 cc you can swap the 38mm stroke crank out to a 40mm stroke crank and run the same rod and piston and you will have a stroker motor at 70cc

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
I have also found a 39mm stroke crank.
To build a stroker as I see it, you want the long rod, with the standard piston, then a barrel spacer to correct the port timing, the crank discs would then need to be rebored and possibly could be bored to a larger hole with more offset, then bushed back down to standard big end pin and preferably then welded.
As a result your likely to get a considerable increase in torque, with a drop in max revs and probably more vibrations.
Boost ported, reeds, a good pipe, 40mm crank and a bit more compression can give impressive results.