Small Engine Fuel Injection Kit, 35cc - 300cc

GoldenMotor.com

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
There's been some info & leads on this before, but this seems closer to our application than most. Heads up, while I wanted to pass this on - I dunno beans about the company & I've not actually used this product, so buyer beware ;)

http://www.ecotrons.com/products/small_engine_fuel_injection_kit/ $399usd

This EFI kit features:
• Electronic fuel injection (EFI)
• ECU controlled ignition system (CDI or inductive coil)
• Close-loop controls with an O2 sensor
• Dual fuel maps selectable by a manual switch (Performance Switch: ECO vs. RICH Mode)
• High fuel efficiency and low carbon emissions
• Decel-fuel-cut-off
• On board self-diagnosis with a MIL lamp
• Performance tuning for advanced users
• On-the-fly calibration
Parts:
1.ECU
2.Harness (including the connectors)
3.Throttle Body and Intake manifold Assembly
• 28mm Throttle body / flange or clamp mounting (TPS sensor)
• or 34mm Throttle body (with IAC motor, and TPS sensor)
• Fuel injector (38/60/80/128/190g/248g/min)
4.Fuel pump assembly
• Fuel pump (compact size:38mm diameter) (comparative low power: 2A current) (Flow rate: 25L/h)
• Fuel pressure regulator(3bar)
• Fuel filter
• fuel hoses and clamps
5.MAP sensor (1.05bar)
6.Engine temperature sensor
7.Intake air temperature sensor
8.CDI - for ECU controlled spark advance (included, for both fuel and spark controls, fully programmable)
9.Oxygen sensor and bungs (included, to have close-loop fuel and self-tuning features)
10.Serial communication cable (to a computer)
11.USB adaptor (included, USB connectivity, and no more RS232 port needed)
12.CD - free tuning software (also downloadable)
Categories:
• EFI Kit for 50cc to 110cc 1-cylinder engine (28mm throttle body)
• EFI Kit for 125cc to 200cc 1-cylinder engine (28mm throttle body)
• EFI Kit for 200cc to 300cc 1-cylinder engine (34mm throttle body)

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I agree... & for most it wouldn't provide any, or at least enough benefit to warrant the expense. If however you're messing with forced induction and/or efficiency tweaks, it's defo something to consider, my four stroke/electric hybrid is just begging for programmable EFI lol;

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I agree. The price/benefit issue makes it an interesting concept to a few tinkerers with bucks but as far as performance or power increases I'd suspect them to be few, if any.
But wouldn't it be cool to say, "Yeah, I'm running EFI, so don't mess with me.

"but it's understood, I've got a fuel injected engine sitting under my hood" :)

Tom

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
I've got bucks and I wouldn't buy it.

Certainly not for a lawnmower engine or a happy time. Four hundred to inject a hundred dollar motor? Madness.

This would make sense to apply on a motorcycle engine that was used for racing events at different altitudes and different terrains. Would make mixture and advance settings easy, just download the stored files into the brain.

apex

Aug 27, 2013
indy
Can you use an o2 sensor in a 2 stroke application? Wouldn't the oil vapor corrupt its operation in long term use?
I would rather see an open loop strategy, eliminating much of the expensive electronics by using a programmable look-up table in the ecu. Ship it with the tables written for a stock motors volumetric efficiencies, or set it up with a wideband o2 sensor, then remove wideband when tuned and prigrammed.
Also, once the fuel pump and injector can be combined into a single unit the parts count and electric power requirements will be reduced.

Thats my armchair criticism.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
EFI two strokes are not uncommon in the marine industry, the above company also has the same setup for specifically two smokers it seems: http://www.ecotrons.com/products/2_stroke_small_engine_fuel_injection_kit/

Mike - you're right, it wouldn't make much sense for a lawnmower engine or a utility motor let alone a happy time, but some of the tighter tolerance engines such as my four stroke Honda CRF50 clone or some of the KTM/Morini two strokes would likely respond... catch is it'd most likely be in overall efficiency rather than direct preformance, so I wouldn't hold my breath waiting to see it on the track lol

...unless someone's fiddling with forced induction, then all bets are off :p

apex

Aug 27, 2013
indy
From link above

"You can use one for tuning purpose (preferred a wideband O2 with the controller), but once the tuning is finalized, you can removed it and run open loop.
First of all, O2 sensor does not work well with 2 stroke engines, because there are unburnt mixture in the exhaust gas due to the scavenging effect;
Secondly, oil in the fuel can damage the O2 after the usage for a while; and 2 stroke engines run more or less rich in most conditions."

That's what I thought. Its not a good idea to run closed loop on a two stroke.

Techbiker

Oct 27, 2009
DFW, Texas
I purchased this kit for my 4-stroke XR80 board track build (when it's finally done lol). Theoretically EFI should improve performance and efficiency since it can account for environmental variables more finely than a carburetor ever could.

I definitely agree that the efi kit carries dubious value when used on a 2-stroke engine. The kit should make it significantly easier to start any engine though.