Another Tylar BTR Build

GoldenMotor.com

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
WOW that vid is neet! The second bike in the vid discussion is mine mid build last summer :) Cool to see it that way. I remember seeing that bike with the leather straps on the tank when I went to collect mine fom him, its a very cool idea in my mind.

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
Congrats, on your Taylar build it is impressive to say the least!!!

TOO COOL!!!

I'm curious are these custom made frames?

As for the Cyclone & Indian style Torpedo / Cylinder gas tanks, what is the total amount of fuel they hold? Is Dan selling these gas tanks separately?

These 2 bikes pictured below the Blue Indian & the Yellow Cyclone Tribute Bicycle Board Track Racers Torpedo / Cylinder style gas tanks below are produced by George Whitney of Deuce Motor Bikes, however his are just fiberglass, as nice looking as they are!

Dan is definitely attracting my attention, with his all steel version of this type / style of gas tank!

C.H.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
I have a Hurth 3 speed transmission that I purchased when I bought the Atco Villiers 98cc.
It was on a 1920/1930's bike from Europe that had a 200cc Villiers in front of it. It is a stick shift with a foot shift as well. I haven't looked at it for a while but that is what the former owner who is a top flight motorcycle restorer told me.
It was left over from a project he worked on and I felt that the price was right so I bought it incase something came up that it would work on.

It's about four projects down so it will be a while before it gets used. Maybe.

Steve.

Robertriley

Apr 25, 2011
Southern California
All Dans high end bikes have a custom built frame and real sealed bearings not regular bicycle bearings. He will make tanks too. His are a bit wider than the ones above. I've talked to George before. I almost picked up one his bike like the ones above then I almost picked up the one he built with the whizzer motor on it. I was about to pull the trigger until I found The sportsman flyer on eBay. I cleaned up my 147cc villiers motor yesterday and will post a pic soon.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
itchybird,
The guy that I purchased the Hurth transmission from has a a Whizzer that was converted with the albion transmission when they were getting ready to start selling them.

Interesting story because he found 5 of them in Europe that had been in storage in a customs warehouse since they were new. They were stored because of faulty paperwork and for some reason the owners never claimed them.

He lost the one he kept when his shop burned down and then was told by a friend in Europe that he had seen a couple in a car dealership decades ago when they were new and he offered to go and see if they were still there.
They were and that is how he got the one he has now.

Silverbear and Curtis Fox were with me when I went. There were still some nice bikes there but he lost a lot of his collection in the fire and was just reducing what he had mainly due to age and health.

The Whizzer/Albion was to come out as a nice alternative he said to scooters and mopeds but just then the Honda hit the market and no one wanted a Whizzer.

Steve.

Last edited:

itchybird

Nov 4, 2009
SF Bay Area.
That motor looks cool, very vintage. It almost looks like it has a cast iron cylinder.

Fasteddy -

Cool story....

Attached is a crappy pic of a whizzer with a 3 speed albion. The pic is essentially just the gearbox, so it's hard to get a feel for how it fits the bike. This particular bike is a stretched Schwinn frame with bicycle crank/chain removed.

Robtriley -

Here is a pic of my blue racer. Somewhere I have pics of my Schwinn's, if I can find a copy, I'll post it.

Rich

Attachments

Robertriley

Apr 25, 2011
Southern California
Yep, that's my gearbox. I'd love to see the full bike when you post it. I need a clutch if you can find one somewhere that would be great. The cluch is the last real big thing I need to get Dan running again.

itchybird

Nov 4, 2009
SF Bay Area.
Wow!

Thats a very nice bike, I'd love to see it in person. It's cool that it runs the same little gearbox. I've seen quite a few of the boxes for sale in a fairly short period of time. For as many years as the boxes were used, you'd think we could find the secret stash somewhere, but despite my best efforts, I can't find it.

The good news is that these boxes are avail, so it's only a matter of time. Although mine were complete, I wanted to run a fresh clutch. Turns out, you can just rebuild them, all you need is a box of corks. Funny to think of cork as a friction material, but from what I read, it was very common.

I'll do some more digging, if I can find a clutch, I'll let you know.

Robertriley

Apr 25, 2011
Southern California
I went to Dan's today and dropped off my engine. He loved it. He said it looks like someone restored it, preserved it and stored it away. I also picked up my wheels to get them powder coated.

Attachments

Robertriley

Apr 25, 2011
Southern California
Dan can put together frames and forks for $500. I think thats a great price. They are large enough to fit every motor I can think of and are completely built from the ground up, not from a bicycle. He is also using sealed bearings for my build.

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Hey! Dan isn't the only one who loves it, thats NICE!!! I have a 1916 frame (that is so clean)and will be a donner for a BTR, Dan and I will be doing a little research for an engine for future build and something like yours would be a great candidate, where did you get it??

Robertriley

Apr 25, 2011
Southern California
I had it shipped from England. You can't find British 150cc or larger motors out here. At least not that old and for a good price. It runs about $100 or so to bring it overseas. I also have the 1948 Villiers on page one. I'll be selling it soon. Kris "Blake Build" is using one like it on his build. I'll see if I can find a pic of it mounted on his bike. I can can also keep an eye out for one for you if you want. Most of the Villiers on UK Ebay can not be bid on because they are UK only. My cousin lives in the UK so I was able to use his address and they send it to him and he ships to me.

brett7777

Aug 19, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
Dan can put together frames and forks for $500. I think thats a great price. They are large enough to fit every motor I can think of and are completely built from the ground up, not from a bicycle. He is also using sealed bearings for my build.
I think that's where the long term future of the boardtracker building industry is, to build the frames from the ground up.
Especially when using a larger capacity engine with more torque.
It's not to say I dont like the modified bicycle frames (the worksman has very nice lines) but I think eventually people will want to make some of them road legal as motorcycles. Hey 200cc on a bicycle frame is probably pushing the legal boundaries just a little bit...'it's only 49cc officer...' yeah right!

While on that subject, NZ has just changed it's moped laws. The bike has to be complied & inspected before it's put on the road. Has to have a working stoplight that comes on when the brakes are applied, the headlight has to shine forwards 50 metres, horn must be heard from 100m, & it must have turn signals. Also a mirror & fenders. This necessitates having a battery or a very good magneto system, plus extra wiring, flasher unit etc.
So they are basically now treating them as motorcycles.

itchybird

Nov 4, 2009
SF Bay Area.
Thats a fine looking build, motor looks great, frame/forks looks great tool and I like the tank.

What is the plan for seat? I like how the top tube ties into the seat tube, clearly not running a bicycle seat, so I am curious what the plan is.

Well done guys, very well done.