Villiers 98cc BTR is complete

GoldenMotor.com

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Ive recently finished my Villiers beach cruiser over in the DIY section.... as its built with a BTR influence i thought id post the link just in case you guys havent seen it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QjsEiUzYwE

The engine is a Villiers 98cc from the 40's/50's taken from a cylinder mower. Ive ridden the bike a lot in the last few days and it hasnt missed a beat. Im very happy with it, its top speed is around 60kmh (37mph) and its a little slower off the mark then a chinagirl...... BUT it sounds better, oozes appeal and is built to last (how many chinagirls will be running in 70 years?)

Heres a video of the maiden run (couldnt/ still havent got the smile from my face)
Villiers Beach cruiser :: Picture691.mp4 video by harry761 - Photobucket

And a few pics

Last edited:

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Yup.
He was on the wrong side of the road!
:)

Congrats Harry!
Lookin' good going down the road!

The pic at the beach is very nice... wish I was there!
rc

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
dance1Harry, you have outdone yourself! It looks beautiful and I believe it is the best sounding two stroke engine build I have heard so far. You should be proud. I hope you enter it in a show and get attention, the bike and you deserve it.

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
Harry, nice job! I think SB is working on one with a similar engine. Hope he brings is south with him so I can see it first hand. Congratulations on a nice build. Dan

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
dance1Harry, you have outdone yourself! It looks beautiful and I believe it is the best sounding two stroke engine build I have heard so far. You should be proud. I hope you enter it in a show and get attention, the bike and you deserve it.
Thanks CF, yeah the engine has a nice sound and draws a lot of attention riding.... i cant keep off it. Its definitely slower off the mark then a chinagirl and probably has the same topspeed but they are absolutely nothing alike to ride. I can ride the Villiers with the throttle wide open and it doesnt have the death rattles the chinagirls have. And it doesnt sound like a whipper snipper.

I had it entered in a show not long ago, both mine and my girlfriends. But i didnt quite get Kellys done in time and i didnt take mine because i hadnt ridden it...... But i definitly plan on taking it to some shows and ride the wheels off it in the meantime

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Hey! Harry that is one good look'n Merkel LOL just joking with Ya but it is very cool and I do like the sound of that Villiers engine, was the 37MPH down hill Ha! Ha!
Keep up the good work and finish some of those other bikes so we can all see them

Last edited:

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Nice build, Harry. Very cool looking and vintage all the way! Nice to see australia in the backround, too. One of these days I'll get DOWN there.......

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Hey! Harry that is one good look'n Merkel LOL just joking with Ya but it is very cool and I do like the sound of that Villiers engine, was the 37MPH down hill Ha! Ha!
Keep up the good work and finish some of those other bikes so we can all see them
Youre still going on with the Merkel Trukd? LOL

Actually yes that 37mph was downhill, LOL....but if i get the bike running properly i might get that out of it (not too bad considering im 100kg).... thats not super fast but fast enough to not raise too much suspicion as i ride it very very reguarly (the main reason none of my other bikes have progressed lately) and so far the only thing ive got from the police is the thumbs up.

Cycoracer8

Jul 6, 2011
Hi-Desert, So. Cal
Very nice indeed. I think you might have sacrificed engine sound for off the line speed with that exhaust system. A tuned exhaust would get you going quicker, but then you wouldn't have that great sound.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Very nice indeed. I think you might have sacrificed engine sound for off the line speed with that exhaust system. A tuned exhaust would get you going quicker, but then you wouldn't have that great sound.
Thanks Cyco.... im no expert but the point of a tuned exhaust was brought up early in my thread, it was mentioned (if i remember correctly) on a Villiers site that there is no real gains made by fitting a tuned exhaust..... im not sure if this is true or not as i originally planned on making an exhaust for this bike, but when i test fitted the original exhaust i really liked the look of it, so i kept it.

I plan on other builds with other Villiers engines i have so next time i might make an exhaust and see if there is a difference

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
This bike turned out really really nice. every thing about it says perfection. I love the engine mounts and belt drive. I would really like to see it with some simplex tires, that would really complete the overall all look of the bike. Great job keep up the good work.

diceman2004

Aug 26, 2009
Kitchener , Ontario
Awsome ride man .. its got that turn of the century look too it ... looks great .
except for the wheels , i,m not a big fan of white wheels ... but it still looks great .
wicked job .