Has anyone heard of this?

GoldenMotor.com

Brettski900

Apr 17, 2012
South Florida
Hello,

It must have been a decade ago but I remember my Dad used to have an attachment on the front wheel of his bicycle. It worked as a battery powered friction drive. The battery and everything was all built into one and you just hooked it up to your front wheel. It wasn't very powerful but it helped assist. I have been looking all over the internets and cant find anything like it.

Has anyone ever heard of this or know what its called?

Thanks!
Brett

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
some one had posted one that looks like sadlebags and the battery goes either but i can't seem to find it. here is another friction drive onehttp://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=44383

garfitt

Jan 14, 2013
UK
I have a Zap Zeta 3 that my dad gave me. He said it was good for going up hills. I was planning to use it for my commute, but unfortunately the battery has died. I'd like to replace it with an externally wired lithium pack, but not sure what would be suitable. Does anyone have any ideas before I dismantle the unit?

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
find out the voltage. lithium battery's get cheaper everyday. they are light and great option. if you can do this i would take it apart and remove the built in battery. i think you would end up with a pretty nice unit

garfitt

Jan 14, 2013
UK
I'm still trying to find a screwdriver long enough to dismantle the unit! I've had a look online and I'm thinking of trialling it.

I read somewhere it's 12v with a 174watt motor so about 14amps? I'll check when i get it open. I've had alook online and I'll probably trial it with a similar lead acid battery first to keep things simple as I don't need much range for now. I'm hoping to mount the battery externally to save removing the whole unit to charge it.

I'll let you know how it goes! I can't beleive that there's nothing like this on the market anymore.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
That ZapZeta looks really KOOL !
:)

yah, I would hack it!
We did it with the little fisherprice quad vehicles... ran a heavy cable from a car battery and they would really scoot! lol and run a loong time! :)

LiPo batteries are really great, but you will get a real awakening when you go out and price them! Whew!!!

Have fun!
rc

garfitt

Jan 14, 2013
UK
Managed to get the thing open. I've attached a pic of the bits. It's a lot simpler than I expected, but I discovered that the battery forms part of the locking mechanism, so you either need the same battery or to replace it with a block of wood or plastic the same size.

I've managed to order a replacement battery it's a 12V 7ah UPS battery dimensions are 151mm long, 65mm wide and 92mm high with push on 4.7mm wide connectors.

I've ordered a Yuasa battery from Intamicro for about £18 in delivery.

For now I'm just going to replace the battery and see how I get on, when I manage to get a block cut to size I'll think about making the battery external and maybe increasing the capacity.

Attachments