Problem with a pacesetter transmission

GoldenMotor.com

Ganosaliqueur

Dec 7, 2011
Mesa, AZ
I just got my new pacesetter that's going on my current build and I'm running into an issue. I'm trying to attach the collar to the drive shaft but that damn key isn't going in. I am comparing it to the one that came with the kit and they are the exact same dimensions except the one that came with the pace setter is longer, but it will not go in the channel. Is this a known issue? Do I have to file the key a bit to get it to actually go in?

jbcruisin

Oct 10, 2008
Lebanon, Pa.
By collar do you mean the front pulley? Is the driveshaft actually the shaft sticking out of the engine? My word, file the key down a little until it fits.

Ganosaliqueur

Dec 7, 2011
Mesa, AZ
That's exactly what I mean, sorry I don't know the exact terms, I'm working at it with a file right now but it is slow going, making sure I don't take too much off.

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
You are doing the right thing by filing down the key. It's not unusual for a key to need attention. If you manage to take off too much pick up a couple at a hardware store and try again for a snug fit. Just take a little time and do it right and you won't have to worry about it.

Dan

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I call it 'buttering the key".

Your file all the edges and corners of a new key so it looks like a new stick of butter after it reaches room temperature.
No sharp edges.

I find just laying a long flat file down on the bench and just working the 4 corners of each first, and then all the long edges works best.
It only takes a minute and should be done on all keys and not on the shafts or sprockets.

It's not that you can't make it fit, it's about how easy it comes back out.
It's a must when working with jackshaft sprockets, they come on and off a bunch of times while installing a shifter system.

Ganosaliqueur

Dec 7, 2011
Mesa, AZ
Thanks for the advice KC, I was wondering does your key system work on a 4 stroke kit? I'm in the valley and was thinking about popping by for one for better security.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Thanks for the advice KC, I was wondering does your key system work on a 4 stroke kit? I'm in the valley and was thinking about popping by for one for better security.
A keylock is simply a regular on/off switch that needs a key to turn on and off is all.

My 2-stroke keylock works well as it is attached to the CDI and hard to defeat without destroying the CDI.

For a 4-stroke all you need do is put the switch between the motor and ground but it can simply be cut off or jumped around.

No, I don't have anything for the 4-stroke engines.