What electric motor & from who

GoldenMotor.com

4867monnettchapel

Jan 25, 2009
galion ohio
Ok everyone I am going to become the owner of an electric bicycle. I need some guidance on where to go to find a motor and how big (watts) and what voltage. I will be riding it to and from work, 5 miles one way with one small hill. I will be able to plug it in to recharge at work.

I think I want the Wilderness 36 volt, 600 watt front wheel motor drive with all the bells and .whistles. Have any of you had any dealings with Bernson Electric Vehicles, Lincoln Park Mi. I want to buy from someone that stands behind the stuff that they sell and has good “after sale” service. Any guidance that you can give will be a GREAT help.
Bill

DOC BOLM

Aug 21, 2008
Mississippi
I just went to their web site.They have a lot of stuff.I also noticed they have i zip .I have 2 currie bikes and never had one to break.I have 6 battery packs and a GUEST charger.The whole bike can be bought from wal mart,for less than brenson gets for the kit.HARLEYS DAD

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Walmart went up on the price here. Still a good deal at 350 though I think. I have always had good success with walmarts customer service.

And Doc thank for the tools.,

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I am going to be lost for couple days I have tinkered a motor to death.... I am trying to decide on the best motor to replace my 350watt.

I have a 500 watt pusher that runs like it's being chased by a gang of thugs.

I have a 250 watt hub motor that doesn't run so well but does a lot better on power consumption.

What I want is a pusher that gets good power consumption and gives me a little exercise as well. The 500 watt requires no pedaling at all. The specs on the 500 watt are. 500 watt brushed motor.... 16bike rear wheel with a 55 tooth scooter sprocket welded to it...24volt battery supply 12ah.... I can squeeze 4 miles out of the pack on the pusher but it is really running the batteries down.

The hub motor will do about five and the batteries are in much better shape at the end of it. So what I would like is to do about as well on battery use but with a pusher that will deliver better performance. It would also be a heck of a lot cheaper to build. At least cheaper than my hub was but they seem to be coming down in price a little.

So what I have either on hand or on the way for the build is.... one 16" rear bike wheel with coaster sprocket. I have a 67 tooth scooter sprocket on the way to weld to it. I was going to hook it to a 24 inch mountain bike, but I think I will put it on my 26" columbia racer instead. It's bigger for more pedal torque when I have to pedal it. The frame is probably a pound or so lighter as well. Also the shifters are on the goose neck and out of the way. It already has the old man changes to the frame.

Now I am torn with the motor decision. The sprocket size should bring the speed down some. I definitely will not be going with a motor as large as the 500 watt. A 350 watt would still be a bit much I think. If I go with 250 or so I would have to improvise a new mounting system but that's okay. After all it is what I do best or worst.

So I'm torn. I think what I will do it keep an eye on ebay and what ever I can get under 350 watts cheap will be the winner.

comments are welcome by the way... The Izip you guys are running is 450 watts and some of you I know are running the 10ah battery packs. I wonder what kind of range you get on those running mostly on battery. Not too much pedal assist. I have a habit of running it as much on battery as possible it's why I need to build one that will force me to work.

Sorry to hijack your thread I just got carried away.

Last edited: