How long and far can you go on your tank?

GoldenMotor.com

bwader

Feb 10, 2013
hampton roads VA
Just wandering how long it would take to start with a full 1/2 gallon tank and just run it out of gas. I've tried to but after a half hour (I go inside while its outside in view from my window).

How many hours idle time on a half gallon tank? Since it would be 0 MPG's going nowhere.

How long in hours and minutes and miles can you go on a full tank before going empty?

Then lastly how long can you go full open throttle riding before empty.

I think it would be neat to know what everyone gets for run-time on their tank.

Me? I'm still breaking mine in 49cc 42 tooth sprocket 2 stroke roadmaster mtn bike I weigh 240 pounds I ride around 15mph and gone up to 28mph F.O.T. Still running 16-1 premium mix. I ride with a GPS and RPM/Hour meter on bike gone 6 hours on it and about 30 miles that I've counted.

Why? You might ask? I have a 2 gallons of pre-mixed 2 stroke fuel I'm trying to go through

Wickedest1

Oct 31, 2012
connecticut
please stay in virginia if ur gonna run thru 2 gallons of 16:1...thats too much to begin with...

but this is only my opinion...

and as for how many miles per gallon? that would depend upon ideal terrain...ie flat...

but i get about 55 miles to the tank riding about half to three quarter throttle depending upon terrain...sometimes more sometimes less...

i would definitely do some research for yourself and look and see what members are saying about oil mix ratios...

my personal is 24:1 break in for about a gallon and a half then onto 32:1 forever...fully synthetic 2smoke oil and 93 octane mobil gas...

good luck to you

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Well, you can cut the two gallons with two more gallons for 32:1, 16:1 is insanely high oil content...despite what the "manual" says.

I wouldn't want to find out how long the bike MAY run at idle, probably cook it after a half hour...

bwader

Feb 10, 2013
hampton roads VA
Thanks for the input. I had mixed up the 2 gallons mainly I have a few other 2 strokes. Once a week I run the tiller and weed eater for a while. Although it being winter I still run all my yard engines to keep running fresh gas in them.

That's a good idea to add more gas to make 32-1. I have read posts before people using 20-1 to 25-1 for break-in.

I'm probably around 1.5 gallons now so I could have 3 gallons 32-1. Just not wanting to take too much of a risk before until I had more facts. But I know more now and I think I'll add more gas to the mix.

Trouble is its a bit confusing, to change a 16-1 mix and make 25-1 by adding the right amount of gas to the mix. Easy thing is and I'll go with is add about the same amount of gas to the 16-1 mix to make 32-1.

I'm thinking if my 1/2 gallon tank is about half way full just add gas just before getting full. Rock the bike to mix and i think vibration from riding will mix the rest.
I have alway heard "mix it in a separate container before putting in the tank".

I can just drain it and mix in the gas can.

bwader

Feb 10, 2013
hampton roads VA
please stay in virginia if ur gonna run thru 2 gallons of 16:1...thats too much to begin with...

but this is only my opinion...

and as for how many miles per gallon? that would depend upon ideal terrain...ie flat...

but i get about 55 miles to the tank riding about half to three quarter throttle depending upon terrain...sometimes more sometimes less...

i would definitely do some research for yourself and look and see what members are saying about oil mix ratios...

my personal is 24:1 break in for about a gallon and a half then onto 32:1 forever...fully synthetic 2smoke oil and 93 octane mobil gas...

good luck to you
I agree, 2 gallons is a lot of fuel to start with. Unless I had more 2 strokes. Takes learning from the trial and error sometimes.

When I'm done with this older mix (lucky I use stabil) I am going to just mix only what I need to fill the engine tanks with.

Wild Bill

Jan 29, 2013
Camarillo So. Cal.
I am running 20:1 on my first build and I plan on running about a gallon at that mix then go to 32:1 for the next gallon then maybe 36:1 from then on though I prolly will stay at 32:1 since Im not racing or anything.

I dont think its good to idle for long periods of time since theres no air flow to cool the engine and the lack of rpms to blow out the engine once in a while.

Since Im a noob I have no clue about mileadge and I dont have a working speedo yet. Also My tank is bigger than the stock one (plastic tank from a '93 Suzuki Jr 50) but Im not sure about its capacity.

bwader

Feb 10, 2013
hampton roads VA
Well, you can cut the two gallons with two more gallons for 32:1, 16:1 is insanely high oil content...despite what the "manual" says.

I wouldn't want to find out how long the bike MAY run at idle, probably cook it after a half hour...
Yeah "manual" lol I just wandered if anybody might have. I doubt it but never know.

I do know my 2005 nissan sentra 1769cc(1.8 L) car the run time is about 11 hours or so for 11 gallons riding to and from work. 33mpg right now. Though I have "hypermiled" (getting better gas mileage than rated by your driving habits) for a couple weeks to and from work maintaining 39-40mpg.
Course that involves turning the engine off and in neutral and coasting in advance before a stop sign, red light or parking.

Its really a good idea to shut your engine off anyway if waiting on that draw bridge to go back down, train crossings, and even the drive thru late at night when the inside is closed.

We all could go a lot farther on a tank of gas hypermiling but what I found out it doesn't really matter too much, but I like to know what my car is capable of when I'm driving it.

Next car I'm getting in the future will be a Prius. I care more about gas mileage than getting speeding tickets. If I had a shorter commute I'd take my motorized bike on nice days but that's why I got a 150cc scooter that can take me 55mph+ on the highway and get 60-70mpg.

Last edited:

bwader

Feb 10, 2013
hampton roads VA
I am running 20:1 on my first build and I plan on running about a gallon at that mix then go to 32:1 for the next gallon then maybe 36:1 from then on though I prolly will stay at 32:1 since Im not racing or anything.

I dont think its good to idle for long periods of time since theres no air flow to cool the engine and the lack of rpms to blow out the engine once in a while.

Since Im a noob I have no clue about mileadge and I dont have a working speedo yet. Also My tank is bigger than the stock one (plastic tank from a '93 Suzuki Jr 50) but Im not sure about its capacity.
Two main purposes for idling for me right now is to kill 2 birds with 1 stone; breaking it in and using up older gas. I'm idling it right now for 20 min. rev. it, and shut off. Wait another 20+min. for cool down and do it again once more tonight.
I'll ride it around for a half hour varying throttle tomorrow. Cool down. Idle it some and cool down.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Two main purposes for idling for me right now is to kill 2 birds with 1 stone; breaking it in and using up older gas. I'm idling it right now for 20 min. rev. it, and shut off. Wait another 20+min. for cool down and do it again once more tonight.
I'll ride it around for a half hour varying throttle tomorrow. Cool down. Idle it some and cool down.
Avoid big hills. Each time you stop to let the engine cool, go over all the bolts checking for tightness(Don't go crazy) Don't coast with the throttle closed for long periods without pulling in the clutch, and don't rev it past 5-6k for the first 4 or 5 tanks.
Don't worry about tuning the needle until at least 4 tanks unless it's way off.
After that ride it normally. I use 32:1 for breakin and 40:1 for normal use. 16:1 is too much oil. It will never run right at that mix.
Don't try going over 20-25 for at least 4-5 tanks and you should have great service.
Mine kept getting better for probably the first 6 months I ran it.

Last edited:
Reactions: lewdog7431

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Idling will not break it in, if anything it's the worst thing you can do as far as "break in".

Never run one at 16:1, even for "break in".

bwader

Feb 10, 2013
hampton roads VA
You know, I haven't been able to get it to idle more than 20min anyway. It cuts off.

Thanks a lot for all the input again! I've gone through 3 tanks now so I'll try 32-1 for the next one plus it will be simple to achieve.

First time I've heard 40-1 being used on motorized bicycles. Though I heard some 2 strokes run at 50-1 or higher.

I know idling isn't good on cars so makes sense its not good for 2 strokes either. For instance, I work at a wastewater plant and all our vehicles get idled a lot and have very low mileage, especially in cold weather and old people driving. Plus they don't get driven above 35mph or highway speed often enough. They get driving for hours every day for many 2 mile or less trips with idleing in between. So I get the point that , "Idlin' is bad M' kay!"

So from now on I'll limit idling too much.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
The OP said he runs, idles, his garden equipment. What he isn't considering is that they all have some kind of cooling incorporated into the engines. Either shrouds or flywheels with fins, something to move air over the cylinder during long periods of running with little to no forward movement through the air.

Idling an air cooled bicycle engine for long periods is not going to do anything except shorten the life of the engine. It is air cooled with no other means of displacing the heat except moving through the air. I can only imagine how hot that poor little engine got setting and idling for over a half hour.
Get on it and ride it for crying out loud. That's the only way you're going to break it in. Not setting in the house and watching it. And reduce the oil content down to 32:1.

Tom

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
I have 3 1-gallon gas cans in the garage; one for picking up fresh, and two of a slightly different style for premix, one of which has a strap around the handle so I know which is higher ratio. At one point I considered buying a yellow (diesel) or blue (marine mix) can but decided to stay with what I had on hand.

bwader

Feb 10, 2013
hampton roads VA
As the original poster, I get it. I'm not idling anymore. I'm going to run at 32-1.

The good thing is I started the idling yesterday and I'm stopping today. I learned this early on. The fun and sharing of our experiences with our bikes is great.

40-1 and no problems.....EVEN BETTER! I'll save on 2 stroke oil

Last edited:

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I run 40:1 because I'm so used to that ratio from dirt bikes and can measure it blindfolded. No other reason. 32:1 is fine too.

bwader

Feb 10, 2013
hampton roads VA
I mixed to 32-1 now and my engine starts up easier and I can put the choke all the way open now! After warming up of course.

At slower speeds about half choke it runs better than choke off but after a certain speed it bogs down some and I know to move the choke more open.

Plus not as much blue smoke!

I rode around at least 10 miles.

Tomorrow I'm going to fill up and start keeping track of mileage.

I have at least 7.4 hours run time on my engine so far. I think its been 3 tanks and 7.4 hours since I put the Hour/Tachometer on my bike. Haven't really been keeping track like I wanted to. You know how it is, you get to enjoying the ride and I forgot to reset the gps.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
bwader,
Your choke should be open all the way after the first few seconds of run time. There is no reason to use the choke after the engine has started and run just a little. Don't try "adjusting" it. Open it and leave it open. If you're having bogging problems there are other reasons that we can help you with. Float level, jet size, needle valve height, etc.

Tom

bwader

Feb 10, 2013
hampton roads VA
I haven't adjusted the carb. needle position yet. Would that help?

I have a "speed carb." and I believe the needle is in the middle position.

I'll try just leaving the choke open like you are saying. I just do it to give it more power at slow speeds.

At 16-1 ratio I always had to keep the choke on 1/2 to 3/4 of the way. I had to be running the engine for a while to be able to have choke open fully, then it would bog down. (but I would choke it and keep it running)

Now at 32-1 I can run at full open choke.

At 10-15mph having the choke on some gives better performance. If I was going up hill I could cruise along great this way better than choke open all the way.

At say 16mph (I don't know exact speed just a guess) I can go as fast as it will go at that amount of choke. So when I open the choke I can go faster.

I know and understand that the choke controls the amount of air flow. Starting cold the choke is needed to start(richer fuel/air mixture) then I can open choke more to give more air flow for normal engine running.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
If the engine runs better with some choke there's a good possibility that you have an air (vacuum) leak somewhere which is allowing too much air to get to the engine.

Did you seal the carburetor to the intake manifold?

Is the intake manifold gasket good and the fasteners tight? The kit gaskets are notorious for early failure and should be replaced with a good quality gasket material. Same for the exhaust gasket.

Many times on the chrome steel intake manifold with the welded flange, the flange is warped from the welding process and needs to be lapped to get a good gasket sealing surface.

Whatever, I'd start looking for a vacuum leak.

Tom