New engine won't start!

GoldenMotor.com

triride

Jun 28, 2013
U.K.
Hi, decided to buy my 2nd 2 stroke engine kit off Ebay (Skyhawk Gt5).
Now unable to start having checked spark,compression, etc.
The only thing I have noticed is that I am not getting fuel/air to the cylinder due to dry plug after several attempts with/without choke etc

Was wondering if anyone out there has had a similar issue with a new engine?
Thanks, Pete..crt.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Start here > http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=35090
then let us know what you find.

Remove the fuel line from the carburetor, open the tank petcock and see if fuel flows. It doesn't need to be a gusher but only a steady stream. If you didn't clean and flush the fuel tank before installing it there's a good chance the petcock or the in-tank filter is plugged with trash from the tank. All of them have dirt from the factory and need to be cleaned.
An in-line fuel filter is a good idea also. Good luck and let us know what you find.

Tom

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
dry plug usually means carb/fuel problem, but new motors are dry inside and can take a lot of pedaling to get first start out of them

triride

Jun 28, 2013
U.K.
Cheers guys,managed to sort it

Whilst plug was out, engine sounded good on cranking but when I fit plug obviously more compression I could feel engine was slipping on clutch

I removed magneto cover first to confirm if this was the case?
On realising it was slipping I then increased the clutch compression by one notch which sorted out the slipping issue and give me my first ride out :)
Thanks again for your input guys!