I vote for a smaller chain.

GoldenMotor.com

Master-shake

Feb 24, 2013
texas
I think a smaller chain is a good idea. I got one of these old grubee kits with what looked like a bike chain in it. At first I was disappointed, but I ended up not ever finding the chain I remembered from my last kit and just strapped the small chain on. It has really helped. It helps clearance issues with fenders, my newest onyx build has benefited from this (no chain pinging fender) Also, It feels lighter on the rev up. I feel like the lighter chain increases over all performance. If you disagree let me know why. It seems to me that all those big chains to is look pretty and weigh a lot.

Huffydavidson

STREETRACER/MANUFACTURER
Jan 29, 2012
st.louis,mo.
I run a KMC 410H on both sides of my shiftkit. The 415&#41 were noisey, sloppy, and wore out every 700/800 miles . This 410H has over 1,000 miles and looks like I just put it on.
I second that motion .brnot

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
I also run a 410 with zero issues. I don't think that a 415 would've cleared my tire.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
As long as it's a good chain a smaller one is a good idea. i run a kmc 410 on my race bikes.

The main reason everyone goes bigger is the chinese kit chains break all the time. the older grubees had really cheap 415's or 41's (dunno for sure with china's oddball sizing methods) that would snap, wear out, and were just crap.

broke one once and it whipped around and cracked my case.

The newer grubees have those bluish purple chains that come dry from the factory. broke two of those.

i use them on the pedal side all the time.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
The smallest chain that fits is best IF of sufficient strength. Smaller chain runs with less friction and drag and transfers more power to the wheel. It can make a huge difference in coasting and pedaling.
The only issue I have is finding good quality small chain.
I'd LOVE to set up a chain drive with the tiny pocketbike chain if it would last like the bigger stuff. But it would never hold up to a 26" wheel. Finding sprockets would require custom machine work as well.

Moto

Jan 7, 2012
San Francisco, CA.
Yeah I like the 410 myself, its less of a headache to make tensionsers, clearances are easier, less drag imho, the only thing is that a lot of newer motors ("flying horse, etc) are coming with really really thick output gears which you cannot run 410 chain on and you have to an older gear. Only problem is the key size is bigger on the newer motors so you have to dremel out the old sprockets keyway. anyway thats just my example...

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Just about everyone who has a shiftkit/jackshaft runs the standard 1/2 inch pitch (ANSI #40) @ 3/32" width (typical multi-speed chain) without issue, or unusual, difficult to find sprocket conversions.

Dunno why the kits come with such huge, gommy chains but I save them...

...to hang on the wall of shame ;)

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
Smaller chains are fine but I recommend that you get a strong one. Standard bicycle chains will become twisted if you exceed their torque tolerance levels for any amount of time. I use a Wippermann BMX 1R8 chain I got from my local bicycle shop. It is 1/2 x 1/8 and is one of the strongest BMX chains available. It is nickel coated with reinforced plates. It has a breaking load of 12,500 Newton. It's thinner than the 415 and you can use it as a regular bike chain too, but I found that it runs through my china girl sprocket much smoother than the bulky 415.