Ignition troubles

GoldenMotor.com

Henshooter

Feb 10, 2014
Melbourne au
Ok guys I've posted another thread but thought I'd start again and see how I go

So the other day I was riding and mid throttle she shut down ,she was running well and is a standard 2stroke chinagirl angle fire head

Checked fuel and filters aswell a blocked jet ,all passed with no issues and are clean as a whistle

Compression seems to appear ok ,well no test has been done yet but from the feel of it she turns over with the same force ,this indicates there's no loss of compression

Now as for the spark I can't seem to get any spark ,I fiddle around with the mag and every once in a while I get a pop as if the cylinder wants to ignite but doesn't have enough spark or no spark entirely

Now would this lean towards a faulty mag or CDI unit ,see money is tight ATM but I need Bella to be running as she is my only transport

I have noticed an excess of oil leaking from the exhaust ,there's no blockage but I'm guessing it's the excess coming from trying to start without ignition

Anyone who could point me in the correct direction
Ie what could cause a motor to stall out mid throttle ?
It would be dearly appreciated ,with a 7 month pregnant wife aswell it's somewhat essential I get her running ASAP

Cheers guys

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
99.999 percent of the time a no spark is due to a bad coil.
While CDI's CAN fail, they rarely do. Usually it's the coil.
ESPECIALLY if it gets wet. ANY water is doom on these poorly made and insulated coils.
Look in the sidecover and if you see ANY water or signs of water ever getting in, it's almost surely the coil.
Even if there is no water the coil would be my first suspect.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Hen,
We'll let this one go for now because your other thread was sort of highjacked, by me and others :) But as you said, this problem was posted before. You showed us a photo of the bad wiring at the coil and we suggested you resolder those wires or replace the magneto coil. We also gave you information on ohm readings to check.

What is the status on that? Have you repaired those wires or checked the ohm readings?

Have you checked your wiring connections from the mag to the CDI? Have to checked the spark plug lead (wire) at the plug boot? If you're still using the kit supplied plug boot, that goofy plastic thing, throw it away and replace it with a good automotive style boot and a plug with the top cap installed.

Let us know where you stand on these suggestions.

Tom

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
sounds like you have a spark if it pops sometimes - with these they make power or they don't - usually there are no intermittent losses unless a wire is loose

oil dripping from muffler suggests that your engine is full of fuel and needs to be blown out (spark plug may be fouled by this too)