Old Guys Simplex moto-peddle bike

GoldenMotor.com

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Thanks Harold should have it in hand tomorrow. No website that I know of but he is offering a few varied designs on ebay. No store as yet either but I'll get an ebay item number that should lead you to the saddles he's currently offering up at auction & P.M. you. Rick C.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Saddle came in & no surprises...deeply cut hand tooled leather mounted on a steel pan with 3" rise at the rear. It measures 10" width by 14.5" length which is a couple of inches narrower & 1.5" longer than the saddle I've shown mounted. The 10" width is the same as I have on the Simplex Copper Gator which to me is perfect. The extra length is in the nose section & will work just fine as the forward mounting studs are 3" apart the same as the current seat. Should be a direct bolt on change over. Rick C.

Attachments

• Love
Reactions: Nightster

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Steve I've no talent in leather or wood but I'm in awe of those of you who do.

The forum is buzzing with activity & that's exciting and encouraging for those of us who are stalled in progress. I did manage to mount the new saddle but that's about it. I'm at the point of switching the foot shift lever to a jockey shift lever positioned under the saddle & tank on the right side of the bike. Still undetermined just how I'll decide to accomplish this...probably experiment with cables and rods till it works, yet keep it uncluttered & simple. Rick C.

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
That is amazing leather work. I can barely buckle my belt when it comes to fine dexterity so that's a talent I can only envy.

Yes things have slowed on a lot of builds especially for those of us where the weather is cooler. It's 28F now but should be a blistering 48F later today. Tough thing is it's dark when I leave for work and dark when I get home along with the cold plus the weather brings a lot of chores that can't wait. It's frustrating not working in my garage but I absolutely agree the uptick in activity on the forum is uplifting.

Can't wait to see what you do with the shifter. I'm unhappy with mine and looking for inspiration.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Thanks guys this guys got some talent for sure I've encouraged him to set up a web site to display his work. He works out of Pueblo, Co. I'm not certain that I purchased from an agent or the artisan directly so I'll not use the name I have till that's established.

I hope to put in some work this week on the Peashooter as I was jammed up last week & really accomplished little on the bike. Harold you wouldn't believe the beautiful weather we're experiencing...totally un seasonal, my grass is as green as it's been all summer & 9 day forecast shows 60's and 70's as highs! I really need to hit it before I move the bike back to the protection of the shop.

Right now I'm trying to mentally finalize the look I'll be satisfied with & then fine tune as I go...that took some time with the Simplex as I'm still making small changes on that little gator as well. As long as I own a bike it's subject to change that's for certain. Still just having fun. I'll post some photos latter. Rick C.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Saddle is shown at the extreme adjustment to the rear & at the top height as well. I'll later adjust both settings, as well as handlebars, to fit my preference as the build progress goes forward. I have a large amount of space to work with on ride position. Rear of saddle lowered 4" & adjusted forward 3" is my guess.

Rick C.

Attachments

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
This has been a beautiful Fall & I've spent a lot of hours out riding the Simplex Copper Gator, just enjoying the weather and the rides. I'll get back to the HD build when the Winter keeps me inside. At times I forget just how much fun it is to just enjoy what I've already built. Four motorized bikes and several pedal bikes as well, built to ride! The Simplex has preformed perfectly on every outing & I feel confident to ride it at any distance. Today I'm planning a ride with some buddies to one of the lakes about a 90 mile round trip so we got to get going on the Gator. Enjoy your builds & ride! Rick C.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Ride turned out being over 100 miles with many stops and a few explorations along the way. We cruised at about fifty on the back roads (no highway stretches) with a few short runs ups to seventy plus. No big bikes on this trip 250 cc and smaller, my 125 cc was the smallest in the group. The Simplex performed well on this it's longest outing. Due to the air shock saddle I survived as well though I'd not want to tour on a rigid at my advanced age. I did discover that the NOLA Vee tires & the bicycle hubs did not seem to be effected by the sustained speeds over the 10 to fifteen mile long stretches we covered & I closely observed at each stop along the way.

We stopped for lunch along the way and I saw a lot of travelers taking photos of the Copper Gator which always makes me feel the effort was worth it. Rick C.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Not trying to confuse anyone but got locked out by a password issue that should be easy to correct yet hasn't...indian22_Rick C.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Decided I'd best see if the Peashooter Harley would start and run. Kinda important point but several months into this and it's never been tested. I temporarily clamped a "kit" fuel tank to the straddle tube, threaded an old throttle cable, attached fuel line and plugged in the CDI and coil. Couple of pints of fuel & with the oil level up I started the kicking & adjusting phase...after about two dozen attempts I got a small cough of life followed up with increased enthusiasm on my part it fired to life with a roar (no baffle installed to date) I'm not sure why I waited so long to hear it run, but my engine guy had it running after he changed the cam and springs etc; though I wasn't present at the time I trusted his report that all was good & so it is. The Simplex Copper Gator 125 cc was also an easy start (though I waited 9 months to start it the first time) but the transmission was quite stiff after a few hours of saddle time... it finally became butter smooth. Rick C.

Attachments

Reactions: Nightster

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
I've had the engine & "keystone" cradle out of the Pea shooter during our Arctic cold front that pushed temps to just below zero & wind chill to -17 below kinda cold for Indian Territory. Nothing major just cleaning up & drilling a few addition holes for attachment points.

I've tried several types of hand shift linkages and levers on the right side & I've narrowed it down to two possibilities, I'll make a rough prototype first of the design I currently favor and refine it as I go or until I'm forced to try option number 2 as a fall back.

Also been spending time making a realistic looking pair of brass side mounted push rod guide tubes, so far no real joy on the outcomes, but I've swept up a lot of brass chips from the machining operations. The "Chuckle head" rocker cover is really heavy duty & though it's not completed, I can see it's going to eventually please me. I don't want the side tubes & connections to look like something made by Mattel toys (suitable for ages 5 thru 8 years)...real billet brass hardware will in the end prove worthwhile.

Have a great Christmas! Rick C.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
It always seems that the slow part of a build is the details. They're not so much for other people but for yourself though a certain percentage of the crowd will know what you've done and admire it.

Merry Christmas.

Steve.