Question about air filter cover

GoldenMotor.com

motor_bike_fanatic

Jul 26, 2011
Pennsylvania
I used to have clearance issues with my air filter cover, so I took it off and made my own cover. I still have the original foam air filter that came with the carburetor, just put a different cover on it. Lately been wondering if my cover has been hindering air flow, but the main reason I made it was to keep water out of my intake. I can remove the cover and still put the filter back on. So, my question is, if I take the cover off, will I need to worry about rain or moisture being sucked in through my air intake and getting into my carb or engine, gumming up or causing serious damage, or is it safe to remove the cover? I am aware that I may not see a difference with the cover or without it, but I just want to give it a try and see. But I want to know if its ok first.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
as long as you don't go thru a bunch of sand, rocks, puddles, rain, etc..., it's all right to run without a filter for a little while for testing purposes. the odds of you sucking anything into the carb are pretty slim if you're just running it up and down the street, unless you live on a dirt road or something.

i wouldn't do it for a long time, as in weeks, or forever, but just for testing and tuning, should be fine.

motor_bike_fanatic

Jul 26, 2011
Pennsylvania
Yeah, thats what I meant, leave it permanently off. I would keep the filter and screen on, just no plastic cover. I wonder if you understood what I meant. the foam air filter and the screen would still be on, just nothing covering the air filter itself.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
that should be ok, too. i've built custom air filters with nothing but the little black sponge covering the carb throat.

still might be a problem in heavy rain, or really dusty conditions, though. but who wants to ride in the rain and dust? :)

motor_bike_fanatic

Jul 26, 2011
Pennsylvania
I made a cover out of the bottom of a soup can today. Test rode, sounds like she's breathing better. could be in my head, but she sounds like she is idling a bit smoother. like the way it looks, too.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
If you want to run without a cover no problem but I would use the foam screen. You can still use the filter screen.

But you may want shorter machine screws, although I have the stock screws and both the tickler and choke works.. And you might want to use a piece of metal screen between the celebrator and filter.

Last edited: