Dimples on the Piston Skirt

GoldenMotor.com

Technocyclist

Motorized Bicycle Senior Technologist
Jul 7, 2008
Asia
Hi All,

The theory is with the dimples on the skirt, it improves the lubrication by at least 30%. This has been done on other engines, and it's interesting to know that one of the VTEC Honda engines has this. Although, these are microdimples... anyways, I'm gonna try this out, and I think this is going to make the engine run better and longer. I'll try using 6mm drill bit to create the dimples. Hopefully, it's going to work. Has anybody try this out yet?

Cheers...

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Never heard of it before. I've only heard of Teflon coated piston skirts and ceramic coated piston crowns.
Try it out and let us know how well it works? You have me interested! I always like to learn of new ideas for improving engine longevity.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I seem to remember reading something about this years ago. If my memory serves me they described the piston surface as looking something like a golf ball. It was well below the piston rings and very shallow.
I would suggest that you make certain that there are no rough edges left; anything that could gouge the chrome cylinder wall.
Keep us informed and maybe show us a photo of the work.
Tom

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
You can also dimple the piston crown it's self to cause turbulance and improve flow. It's done on NASCAR and top classes in drag raceing. They make pistons pre-dimpled as it were so a machinest no longer has to do it by hand except to make adjustments in flow. Not only the piston crown but the combustion chamber and intakes as well. It has something to do with the aerodynamics of a golfball...

Another thing that can be used is Dry Film Lube. It's a molybdenum di-sulfide based paint you airbrush or use a foam paint brush and apply to the skirts, keeping it away from the ring grooves. Bake in a low temp( 150F ) oven then burnish with OOOO steel wool and you good to go.

I use POWERKOTE Dry Film Lubricant DFL-1 from Techline. 7 oz bottle has lasted me a long time. You can find it on Google.