Ordered a good replacement filter for my CNS carb...

GoldenMotor.com

DudeZXT

Jun 20, 2010
Lexington, KY
Hit 37 on my bike today. It has: CNS carb, NGK spark plug & wire upgrade, Jim's (Manic Mechanic - Pirate Cycles) billet intake, no chain tensioner, and the 36T rear sprocket, c-clip on the top notch because it still seems to run rich at WOT.

Was happily cruising & still gaining along a flat stretch, until the carb vibrated off and I found that the stock CNS filter had a big tear in the rubber. The stock filter doesn't seem to be made for gasoline applications, as I can see disintegrated rubber specks in the carb intake. I had previously only barely hit 34 and only on one day, so I'm guessing that there is some additional restriction in the stock CNS filter...

Searched for a long time and found what I think will be an excellent replacement. Please note that you'll need some clearance between the seat post and the back of your engine. I have the front engine mount only using the expanded clamp for larger frame tubes and 2 of the stock clamp blocks on the rear engine mount with 4" M6 bolts.

You can get this filter as rubber-only cap ($17.99) or go with the pretty chrome cap ($23.99) like I did. You can order these from any AutoZone, use the dealer locator from the K&N site, or order online. Filter flange diameter on the CNS carb is 1-1/4".

62-1380 - K&N Crankcase Vent Filters, Vent Filter
62-1390 - K&N Crankcase Vent Filters, Vent Filter

DudeZXT

Jun 20, 2010
Lexington, KY
Got the K&N last night and took some pics. I didn't remove the carb on purpose ~ it falls off because the engine vibrates so bad at such high revs... I'm also trying out the E3.10 "DiamondFire Technology" plug from Home Depot.

Attachments

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
The air filter looks good. You gotta fix that falling carb. problem. It has to be causing a bad air leak when it is at least still on the manifold. A bad air leak will burn a hole in your piston or seize the piston in the cylinder or other horrible things.

Try Seal all, black or red RTV silicone, or some other fuel resistant sealer. Let it cure completely a couple of days at least, before starting the engine.
I would hate to hear that your engine blew up.