Digital TV antenna

GoldenMotor.com

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
I got this digital outdoor amplified antenna just before the holidays- about $35 shipped on ebay-
http://www.ebay.com/itm/150MILES-OU...801?pt=US_Antennas_Dishes&hash=item19d492f779

and haven't had the chance to put it up on a pole outside- I'm not real motivated to do that now- though I will eventually- because I don't think it will pull in many more stations then.

I did some reseaching after ordering, and I've tested this one now indoors- opposed to the system of three separate unamplified rabbit ears I had hooked together I'd used for several years prior. This antenna on a piece of PVC propped up in the corner of my bedroom, and pointed in the general direction of ALL the broadcast sources in Jacksonville- (internet research indicates they all come from two towers in the same area ten miles away: east of the river near Southside)- pulls in everthing I ever could get- some only at certain times of the year before- this antenna now gets them all the time easily-

But I think the biggest difference in this application is the AMPLIFIER itself- I have tested the antenna with it both on and off- and while the antenna- still inside mind you- is better than my previous setup- it is when I turn on the amplifier that the biggest gain is made- and I get everything in this metropolitan area- I have doubts about what distant stations I may get outside otherwise- internet research again indicates that there aren't many others within 50 miles-

but have a cheap PVC pole setup that will put the antenna about five feet over the roofline at the edge of the house, or just about even with the center peak-

The motor I have doubts about it seeems to have some bugs inside even- and no telling how it will do in weather- the indor lED on the amp is VERY bright- but I turn it off when not in use- more aggravating is an LED on the OUTSIDE antenna- WHY? It'll just draw more current and shine outside- alert the enemies as to when I'm watching TV I guess in this crazy age!

So I may amend trhis when I put it up in the Spring outside, but for now it's working well for local channels (25 roughly in metropolitan Jacksonville)- but it's the amp that makes the most difference-

I'd probably now get that INDOOR antenna that has roughly this triangulated shape-like a boomerang with fins and AMPLIFIED and save the fuss and muss of taking it outside- and for less than $20 and saved money on the antenna, PVC poles and clamps- and spent much less than what I did.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HDTV-UHF-VH...255?pt=US_Antennas_Dishes&hash=item564d5a74e7

For this metro area anyway, where all the stations beam from ten miles away- if I lived in a more rural area- I'd probably want to try this - but still indoors here at this point, where it works well. (^)

Last edited:

goog

Sep 16, 2012
Ct.
Got mine when they switched over to digital with the rebate.No motor and from the shack but that's ok.The more stations you get the more that not worth watching. Also you get use to what you got. Grew up with 3 or 4 channels and black and white.