Carby options for off road ..

GoldenMotor.com

SingleTrackAssasin.

Jan 5, 2012
South Australia
All of my riding is trail riding and i have found that as soon as i start hitting bumps im loosing power as the engine is not getting a consistent amount of fuel. Is there a alternative to a carby with a float in it? Some thing more like what you would find on a motorbike that is ready to go that would fit on a Rock Solid 66cc engine.

Cheeers, SingleTrackAssasin.dnut

frozenveinz

Sep 25, 2011
Washington
You will need a diaphragm carb. Something like a walbro. They have no float bowl, and pump the gas in. Another plus, they don't need the fuel tank to be above the carb.

trug

Jan 8, 2012
moscow, idaho
mikuni makes a lot of good carbs. Their round slide carbs (VM series) were the standard on most Japaneses off road and enduro bikes from 1970 to the late eighties and they were replaced by the square slide series that are standard today. Neither one is a diaphragm type but either one can handle whoops and jumps just fine as demonstrated by every x games since 1994. The one you are looking at looks kind of like like a vm knock off but you can get the real deal for a little more on ebay.

Last edited:

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I ride off-road all the time and don't have that problem.

The only time I have seen that problem is when the float level is too low causing your motor to starve for fuel. Or you have a poor wire connection that comes in to play with the bumps.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
The carb needs a shroud or well in the float bowl to control fuel splashing. Don't know how you would go about building one but thats the issue. Motorcycle carbs are designed to keep the main jet covered even in rough use. Look at a dirt bike carb and try to copy the jet shroud or well in JBweld maybe?