clutch Cover

GoldenMotor.com

Psycle Harry

Jan 19, 2009
Minnesota
HELP! How do I get the clutch cover OFF? I've got a "thatsdax" 50cc motor and trying to install
on a 1936 Elgin.

The three (3) screws (bolts) are froze and will not budge. I have had nothing but problem after problem with this motor AND I'm only at the install stage, sheesh. I do not want to try too much on loosening these screws because I do not want to damage the heads beyond function.

Any ideas......

Thanks..Pscyle Harry

Psycle Harry

Jan 19, 2009
Minnesota
Thanks Cabinfever....that thought just hit me too so I cranked out an email to Duane to find out what he might handle this. Appreciate the response.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
If you need to remove the clutch cover, spray the offending screws with PB Blaster, Liquid Wrench, or WD-40 and wait a half hour, then put the screwdriver on the screw and smack it with a small hammer.

Denver Dave

May 26, 2009
Queen City of the Plains
...and if the PB Blaster/WD-40 doesn't work I've had to pull out the big guns; an impact driver with the proper bit. Sometimes I even have to drill and use a broken screw extractor. If you don't have an impact driver you can use a regular drill. Make sure you are using the proper size bit and try to "knock" the screw loose. In other words, don't try and unscrew with constant drill speed; make sure you are using constant pressure and tap on the drill trigger.

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
HELP! How do I get the clutch cover OFF? I've got a "thatsdax" 50cc motor and trying to install on a 1936 Elgin.
The three (3) screws (bolts) are froze and will not budge. I have had nothing but problem after problem with this motor AND I'm only at the install stage, sheesh. I do not want to try too much on loosening these screws because I do not want to damage the heads beyond function.
I also found one of those Harbor Freight $5 impact drivers works every time. Also a propane torch to heat the aluminum around the bolt but MAKE SURE NO GAS OR OIL nearby.

Junster

Jun 2, 2009
Washington St.
If your just trying to get the chain on. Just feed the chain onto the sprocket with the clutch pulled and use a big screwdriver to turn the sprocket one tooth at a time. Or pull out the spark plug and turn the whole motor.

Forbisher

Dec 28, 2008
Orange County, CA.
HELP! How do I get the clutch cover OFF? I've got a "thatsdax" 50cc motor
Do not bother dax / Duane over such a minor issue :D
That's what we suckas are here for....

Get a hammer hit impact driver. It is an indispensible tool for these motors
They have hardened screwdriver tips and will loosen any stuck screws/ bolts
without destroying them

Don't have one?
Put the motor on its side on the bench

Lightly tap / rap on the end of a screwdriver pushed onto the frozen screw to shock it
loose
push down hard on the screwdriver with both your hands to break it free

don't let it slip or you are screwed :D

PS: That is not the clutch cover
It is the front sprocket cover
the clutch is under the right side cover with the 5 screws
Take it off and grease your gears with some greasey grease