welding on coaster brake hub?

GoldenMotor.com

jazz2561

Sep 20, 2012
Huntsville, AL
I have a five horse briggs motor on my bike and a aluminum wheel set with a shimano cbe110 rear hub. My question is can I weld a flange on to the hub?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Not unless you're a real talented welder. The chances are you'll destroy the hub.

Why would you want to weld anything to the hub? Are you mounting a sprocket or pully to it? There are other and better ways.

Tom

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I am mounting a sprocket.
I'd explore some of the sprocket adapters available. You should be able to get almost any size sprocket to work with one. I know they aren't cheap but they do work well.

Of course you can always use the 'rag-joint method. Installed correctly they work just fine. I'd just hate to see you take a chance on damaging your hub by welding on it.

Tom

vdubbles24

Dec 17, 2014
Indiana
What is the "rag joint method"?

I'd explore some of the sprocket adapters available. You should be able to get almost any size sprocket to work with one. I know they aren't cheap but they do work well.

Of course you can always use the 'rag-joint method. Installed correctly they work just fine. I'd just hate to see you take a chance on damaging your hub by welding on it.

Tom

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
What is the "rag joint method"?
"Rag Joint". This is the 2 stroke kit supplied method of attaching the rear, driven sprocket to the rear wheel/spokes. It consists of a sandwich of sprocket, rubber, spokes, rubber, metal plates and the nine fasteners that hold it all together.

The term is also used to describe a type of coupling often seen on the steering shaft in some automotive applications. In fact those were called 'rag joints' long before the Chinese engine kits were made.

Tom

vdubbles24

Dec 17, 2014
Indiana
Thanks. I've heard of the "rag" joint in the automotive world. Puzzled me on a MB. I've never had a China kit. I'm goin with moped hubs, 21" dirt bike wheels, and a 212cc.

As for mounting sprocket look into treatland, rear 36 spoke hubs, complete around $50. Hard to beat!