New to this

GoldenMotor.com

Retarded_biker

Sep 29, 2014
Bronx ny
I just got my first bike and I was thinking of running some windshield washing fluid into the engine for more power I know they do this in some race cars but I was wondering if it will hurt the engine

HotRodRob

Apr 14, 2013
Western KY
Welcome aboard, Go introduce yourself in the introduction section. Let us know a little about how you found this awesome hobby.

What bike and motor did you use? Its hard to answer questions without more details.

As far as the windshield washing fluid goes I have never heard of that method. Do you have a link to information on it? I tried to google it but couldnt find anything. The only thing I found was people who accidentally put windshield washing fluid in their coolant tank.
It does not sound like a good idea to use on any engine as coolant or added in fuel or oil(the only two fluids (gas/oil) most of these motors use). Washer fluid usually has some detergents that clean and repel oil which would not be good for any engine. Also the watery consistency would not lubricate worth a flip. Instead it seems it would kill a good motor in no time.

I'm curious about the method and any info or link would be appreciated.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I think he is asking about methanol injection. Quite a different animal from "washer fluid", but the windshield fluid tank is often used to hold the methanol.
And NO. It WILL NOT IMPROVE POWER on a china doll.
All it will do is destroy your engine unless used PROPERLY.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Diesel engine mechanics commonly use windshield washer fluid in fuel tanks to help eliminate moisture. This is typically in stationary engines like emergency generator engines.
They also used 'water injection' in WWII aircraft engines to increase compression and horsepower.

I'm afraid adding washer solvent to a 2 stroke bicycle engine isn't quite the same thing. I'd shy away from that idea if I were you.

Tom

wret

Feb 24, 2014
Maryland
I built a water/alcohol system for my turbo Eclipse many years ago. The main reason for it was to artificially increase octane for a higher compression engine. Raising the octane rating higher than 93 on 15 gallons of fuel can be cost prohibitive but not so much on a half gallon.

A necessary part of the system was a high pressure pump, which probably weighed 5 pounds and took a lot of amps to run it. Probably not something you want to carry around on a bike.

nelsonk1969

Sep 29, 2014
Lake Worth Florida 33467
A bicycle engine and carburetor is a often a very crude beast that operates at peak efficiency and power output at a specific given RPM. all though they sip gas compared to a car or even a motorcycle I believe this is simply because of the power to weight ratio.
If you were to add a secondary element to this already crude setup it would have to be at the optimal RPM range and for sure do not use Windshield washer fluid or even tap water as both fluids contain chemicals like chlorine and ammonia that will eat your engine and carburetor parts from the inside out.
Water injection will add minimal if any benefit and only safely if the distilled water is used and properly atomized at the proper RPM. once the water is added at the correct RPM to see a benefit in performance or MPG a leaner mixture would be required. So unless you have a way of adjusting the mixture on the fly a water injection system on an already efficient bicycle engine in my opinion wouldn't make up for cost of the system the continued cost of distilled water the added weight and wind drag that such a system would add.

The best cheapest solution for any vehicle to go faster and operate more efficiently is for the operator to lose weight. so by eating less pedaling more you will get what you want and probably save more money in the long run by reducing future expensive repetitive medications, trips to the ER all while making your Bike and rider total weight and wind drag less.

I went to the my Local Harley shop to buy some chrome fork seal covers
and the fat guy behind the counter snickered saying how he took all the chrome off his bike to make it lighter so it would go faster.
I couldn't help but laugh when I thought to myself how much faster his bike would go without the extra 80 pounds he is carrying everyday.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
If you want more power put an expansion chamber exhaust on, that'll add ~ 1/2 HP, it just won't clean the windows in your engine ;-}

nelsonk1969

Sep 29, 2014
Lake Worth Florida 33467
If you want more power put an expansion chamber exhaust on, that'll add ~ 1/2 HP, it just won't clean the windows in your engine ;-}
I am sorry to burst your bubble,but bolting on a simple expansion Chamber exhaust system will do nothing but drain your wallet of the money that it cost to buy it.
You may feel a difference in the seat of your pants due to the lack of resistance
but this is just the horse power, torque curves that have been changed and normally not in a good way.
if such a dynamometer exists that could measure the small Horse power range of a bicycle engine I am willing to bet opening up the exhaust with a free flowing exhaust would hurt the overall performance of your bike. and defiantly not increase the horse power without further engine and carburetor and ignition modifications.

reduced weight and friction both in rolling and wind you will get a more noticeable desirable increase in useable horsepower and torque. also at a fraction of the cost compared to modifying your motor.

Anyone that tells you different is a snake oil salesman.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I am sorry to burst your bubble,but bolting on a simple expansion Chamber exhaust system will do nothing but drain your wallet of the money that it cost to buy it.
You may feel a difference in the seat of your pants due to the lack of resistance
but this is just the horse power, torque curves that have been changed and normally not in a good way.
if such a dynamometer exists that could measure the small Horse power range of a bicycle engine I am willing to bet opening up the exhaust with a free flowing exhaust would hurt the overall performance of your bike. and defiantly not increase the horse power without further engine and carburetor and ignition modifications.

reduced weight and friction both in rolling and wind you will get a more noticeable desirable increase in useable horsepower and torque. also at a fraction of the cost compared to modifying your motor.

Anyone that tells you different is a snake oil salesman.

You would be wrong.
A tuned pipe is a great addition to the Chinese engines even stock, although you can get more out of it by proper jetting.
ALL chinadoll engines are blubbery rich from the factory and a tuned pipe helps a lot even with stock jetting

nelsonk1969

Sep 29, 2014
Lake Worth Florida 33467
You would be wrong.
A tuned pipe is a great addition to the Chinese engines even stock, although you can get more out of it by proper jetting.
ALL chinadoll engines are blubbery rich from the factory and a tuned pipe helps a lot even with stock jetting
Since your claiming I am wrong prove it. Taking a poorly tuned rich running engine and bolting on an expansion exhaust also will not increase horsepower

exhaust is just one part of the modifications needed to increase horsepower and torque.
either your one of those snake oil salesman or someone trying to defend his purchase.

show me the dyno results of real world numbers before and after an exhaust bolt on. till then keep your wrong opinion to yourself.

HotRodRob

Apr 14, 2013
Western KY
:Facepalm:

Come on man, no need for burstin bubbles. Btw the guy who's bubble you think you burst has built more of these things than 99.9% on the planet. He knows what he's talking about and so does everyone else who offered help in this thread.

Have you ever went on the internet to read and learn about a subject, and as you are reading helpful post after helpful post, then a wall of straight nonsensical rambling that offers nothing to the conversation at hand. I always get the feeling of "Well, I will never get those few seconds or brain cells back...What a waste!"

Maniac is right as well. Its funny how you say these guys are wrong but don't offer the "correct" answer or anything helpful at all. You seem new to two strokes and how they work. As far as proof look at all the two stroke race bikes from back in the day. The expansion chamber is a known power adder when it comes to two strokes. Yes, with a bigger carb, tuning and all that you could get more power. But even with out that for those who want an easy and most bang for your buck, the expansion chamber is the way to go.

As far as proof you should read the Jennings 2 stroke tuners handbook. There is a chapter on expansion chambers. Heres a link:http://edj.net/2stroke/jennings/2stroketunershandbook.pdf

There are several other 2 stroke tuning books but that ones a good start.

First you say:
"The best cheapest solution for any vehicle to go faster and operate more efficiently is for the operator to lose weight. so by eating less pedaling more you will get what you want and probably save more money in the long run by reducing future expensive repetitive medications, trips to the ER all while making your Bike and rider total weight and wind drag less."

Which is wrong. Adults can range from 100 to 250+ lbs and be in perfect health and not need to loose weight. On these small engines a weight difference of a 200 lbs person loosing 50 lbs is still not going to make as big a difference as a properly tuned expansion chamber. Also, with this little horsepower and such low speeds you might get 1 and mayyybe 2 mph leaned forward in a more aerodynamic position. It's not gonna be comfortable and unless on a race track or on a really windy day you kinda look stupid doing it. Peddle more? Come on no one can pedal more than 25 mph or so for very long and "helping" the motor at higher rpms is impossible.

Then you say:
"I went to the my Local Harley shop to buy some chrome fork seal covers
and the fat guy behind the counter snickered saying how he took all the chrome off his bike to make it lighter so it would go faster.
I couldn't help but laugh when I thought to myself how much faster his bike would go without the extra 80 pounds he is carrying everyday."

In which you make fun of an over weight guy who just says what he did to HIS BIKE about loosing weight. Which his advise was borderline getting into the snake oil area. Then, the only advice you can give is to loose weight and get more aerodynamic(both snake oil when it comes to Mabs). Neither of these really apply to our hobby. Bicycles don't weigh much to begin with and other then fenders isn't much you can take off to shed any real pounds. And aerodynamics is the least of our concerns. Anything short of building a bullet shell around your bike(which adds weight) you cant do much to improve the areo of a bicycle.

Then;
"Since your claiming I am wrong prove it. Taking a poorly tuned rich running engine and bolting on an expansion exhaust also will not increase horsepower"

Since years of research and development and the top scientist say expansion chambers work, the burden of proof is on you to prove they don't. Also, no one said anything about a poorly tuned rich running engine. Mines not poorly tuned and I'm sure none of the other guys who posted bikes are either. Funny thing is if it was running a little rich with the stock muffler it would run better with the x chamber which sometimes can need a little more fuel.

Then:
"exhaust is just one part of the modifications needed to increase horsepower and torque.
either your one of those snake oil salesman or someone trying to defend his purchase."

No, Exhaust(expansion chamber) is one modification that will increase horsepower and torque...That's it, it just will and it has been proven for decades. Of course you can do other mods to improve on power but not everyone wants a wild race motor. Just a little more pep is all these need to be fun and reliable on the streets.

You keep saying snake oil salesmen but its obvious you don't know what that means either. Because telling a MaB rider to eat less and be more aerodynamic IS what a snake oil salesmen would say! Stuff that in theory (to the uninformed) would seem to work and be better but its actually just a waste of time and brain cells.

Then this:
"show me the dyno results of real world numbers before and after an exhaust bolt on. till then keep your wrong opinion to yourself."

Such harsh words coming from such confidence, yet being grounded in ZERO truth, really is something to chuckle over. You really should take your own advice on this one nelly and also again see the tuners handbooks.

The cherry on top:
"reduced weight and friction both in rolling and wind you will get a more noticeable desirable increase in useable horsepower and torque. also at a fraction of the cost compared to modifying your motor.

Anyone that tells you different is a snake oil salesman"

Seems like anyone giving advice on something he knows little about to people who have built these motors for years, then with that nonsensical, not true, not relevant, not good and not funny bit about loosing weigh and being more aerodynamic(this isnt NASCAR)...wait for it...followed by "Anyone that tells you different is a snake oil salesman"..LOL I know i can barely breath over here. Too funny. This made my day right here boys.laff

nelsonk1969

Sep 29, 2014
Lake Worth Florida 33467
:Facepalm:

Come on man, no need for burstin bubbles. Btw the guy who's bubble you think you burst has built more of these things than 99.9% on the planet. He knows what he's talking about and so does everyone else who offered help in this thread.

Have you ever went on the internet to read and learn about a subject, and as you are reading helpful post after helpful post, then a wall of straight nonsensical rambling that offers nothing to the conversation at hand. I always get the feeling of "Well, I will never get those few seconds or brain cells back...What a waste!"

Maniac is right as well. Its funny how you say these guys are wrong but don't offer the "correct" answer or anything helpful at all. You seem new to two strokes and how they work. As far as proof look at all the two stroke race bikes from back in the day. The expansion chamber is a known power adder when it comes to two strokes. Yes, with a bigger carb, tuning and all that you could get more power. But even with out that for those who want an easy and most bang for your buck, the expansion chamber is the way to go.

As far as proof you should read the Jennings 2 stroke tuners handbook. There is a chapter on expansion chambers. Heres a link:http://edj.net/2stroke/jennings/2stroketunershandbook.pdf

There are several other 2 stroke tuning books but that ones a good start.

First you say:
"The best cheapest solution for any vehicle to go faster and operate more efficiently is for the operator to lose weight. so by eating less pedaling more you will get what you want and probably save more money in the long run by reducing future expensive repetitive medications, trips to the ER all while making your Bike and rider total weight and wind drag less."

Which is wrong. Adults can range from 100 to 250+ lbs and be in perfect health and not need to loose weight. On these small engines a weight difference of a 200 lbs person loosing 50 lbs is still not going to make as big a difference as a properly tuned expansion chamber. Also, with this little horsepower and such low speeds you might get 1 and mayyybe 2 mph leaned forward in a more aerodynamic position. It's not gonna be comfortable and unless on a race track or on a really windy day you kinda look stupid doing it. Peddle more? Come on no one can pedal more than 25 mph or so for very long and "helping" the motor at higher rpms is impossible.

Then you say:
"I went to the my Local Harley shop to buy some chrome fork seal covers
I couldn't help but laugh when I thought to myself how much faster his bike would go without the extra 80 pounds he is carrying everyday."

In which you make fun of an over weight guy who just says what he did to HIS BIKE about loosing weight. Which his advise was borderline getting into the snake oil area. Then, the only advice you can give is to loose weight and get more aerodynamic(both snake oil when it comes to Mabs). Neither of these really apply to our hobby. Bicycles don't weigh much to begin with and other then fenders isn't much you can take off to shed any real pounds. And aerodynamics is the least of our concerns. Anything short of building a bullet shell around your bike(which adds weight) you cant do much to improve the areo of a bicycle.

Then;
"Since your claiming I am wrong prove it. Taking a poorly tuned rich running engine and bolting on an expansion exhaust also will not increase horsepower"

Since years of research and development and the top scientist say expansion chambers work, the burden of proof is on you to prove they don't. Also, no one said anything about a poorly tuned rich running engine. Mines not poorly tuned and I'm sure none of the other guys who posted bikes are either. Funny thing is if it was running a little rich with the stock muffler it would run better with the x chamber which sometimes can need a little more fuel.

Then:
"exhaust is just one part of the modifications needed to increase horsepower and torque.
either your one of those snake oil salesman or someone trying to defend his purchase."

No, Exhaust(expansion chamber) is one modification that will increase horsepower and torque...That's it, it just will and it has been proven for decades. Of course you can do other mods to improve on power but not everyone wants a wild race motor. Just a little more pep is all these need to be fun and reliable on the streets.

You keep saying snake oil salesmen but its obvious you don't know what that means either. Because telling a MaB rider to eat less and be more aerodynamic IS what a snake oil salesmen would say! Stuff that in theory (to the uninformed) would seem to work and be better but its actually just a waste of time and brain cells.

Then this:
"show me the dyno results of real world numbers before and after an exhaust bolt on. till then keep your wrong opinion to yourself."

Such harsh words coming from such confidence, yet being grounded in ZERO truth, really is something to chuckle over. You really should take your own advice on this one nelly and also again see the tuners handbooks.

The cherry on top:
"reduced weight and friction both in rolling and wind you will get a more noticeable desirable increase in useable horsepower and torque. also at a fraction of the cost compared to modifying your motor.

Anyone that tells you different is a snake oil salesman"

Seems like anyone giving advice on something he knows little about to people who have built these motors for years, then with that nonsensical, not true, not relevant, not good and not funny bit about loosing weigh and being more aerodynamic(this isnt NASCAR)...wait for it...followed by "Anyone that tells you different is a snake oil salesman"..LOL I know i can barely breath over here. Too funny. This made my day right here boys.laff
After all that B.S you still do not make one claim backed by fact.
telling someone who knows little to nothing to buy a magic pipe and his horsepower will increase by X amount is total B.S.
again prove your statements or drink a big glass of shut the f up

HotRodRob

Apr 14, 2013
Western KY
....Ya didn't read the book did ya? At least read the chapter on expansion chambers. Come on now this is a family environment. Little kids come on here. Using curse words shows your ignorance pal.

You seem to keep misunderstanding/not reading what anyone is saying. Again no one said anything about any magic pipes and horsepower increase by x amount! Everyone knows it varies from what motor, carb, pipe, ect. However if you where to read the tuners handbook you would see the numbers. Ya know math and science. How we generally find correct information. Funny thing is if you look at the cover of the book on the link you can see how old it is. This isn't secret knowledge or anything. It's straight up the basics of how to tune a 2 stroke.

Please take the time to do a little more research before you come in all high and mighty with no info and then say what everyone else is saying is wrong. You do realize more than one opinion can apply to many things. Its called collaboration. It's what makes places like these great until and old troll who thinks they know it all comes in. "Knowsallnelly" is your new name. You should try diversity on for a try. I thought we learned this a looong time ago.

Why are you even here? The only advice you gave is to loose weight(this isn't a health/fitness forum) and be more aerodynamic by apparently loosing weight.

It's obvious that you need to go wayyy back and start at the basics. Two stroke motors are very different than four stroke motors. Just because you have a vague idea of how four strokes work doesn't mean you know anything on how a two stroke works. Seriously do a little reading and spare yourself the embarrassment. They are completely different animals.

In fact it is and has been proven for a long time, that an expansion chamber can add 10 to 25%(alone no snake oil) and with a few other mod 50 to 100+% increase can be seen. If you would read the expansion chamber part of that book you would see what I'm saying is a fact.

You don't understand it's not just me saying this. It's everyone who has ever known anything about 2 strokes. In fact its quite basic and common knowledge. Its not just seat of the pants, it's actual science and math backed up by the numbers and on the dyno.

Just the fact that you didn't know there where dyno's for the mabs, mopeds, scooter, dirtbikes, motorcycles, and the such, shows how much you know about actually tuning these things. Seriously read! It's not hard to understand or anything.

I'm done. I don't waste my time trying to inform the uninformable. It's like beating my head against the wall. Relax its ok to be wrong sometimes. And also you don't have to have such an attitude. We're all friends here sharing our love for a hobby. You don't seem to be doing the same thing.

nelsonk1969

Sep 29, 2014
Lake Worth Florida 33467
,to get the savaging effect you desire normally further tuning adjustments and modifications need to take place. to mislead someone by saying just bolt on this one exhaust will add 1/2 horse power to your otherwise unmodified engine is wrong.
A chambered exhaust system along with many other modifications will make a world of difference to any 2 stroke motor but the exhaust is just part of the equation
how about lets get the new guy a chance to get familiar with the power plant he has
and make sure its running properly and efficiently, this way he has a chance to learn the little motors limits before he pushes himself and his bike beyond what is practical and legal.

normally any two stroke engine that comes in a kit form is just that, you wont get a perfectly efficient or powerful engine out of the box, it needs to be broken in properly it also needs to be color tuned to insure the most efficient powerful and reliable setup is achieved.
with the stock configuration. once the bike is well tuned and broken in one could establish for themselves that the engine could be further fine tuned by adding more air and fuel mixture or increasing the compression or displacement or both. all of this and more can be added with aftermarket parts but any one part including the exhaust cannot maximize its potential by simply being bolted on.
if you still do not get it you never will,