Vintage looking board track racer project

GoldenMotor.com

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
First take the spark out,if you have or have access to an air compresser use a rubber fixture that mounts onto the tip of the air nozzle,stick it into the spark plug opening and give it a couple of pumps on the trigger,this will help precisley located the leak,after locating the leak circle or put a dot on or around it with a sharpie marker, clean the area very well with alcohol (after the leaking stops of course) put the spark back in tighten it down then use some JB Weld and a tooth pick or flat head screw driver to mash some in the area in question while the jb weld is still wet or soft roll the bike in gear this will create compression that will draw the JB Weld up into the hole, if? the hole is big enough to see then it will leave a depression where the hole is and you can tell that you've sealed it,I always like to give the JB Weld a good 10 hrs not just to dry buy cure to the fullest extent.
If your affraid of making a mess with JB Weld then use some masking tape around the application site.
I bought a (suposedly PK 68.5/80cc) engine from Zoom and not only did I NOT! get what I ordered but the engine was highly defective, hole in the cylinder,warped head and a massive crack in the engine casing (not featured) three months of fighting with those ^%$#@ I finnaly returned the kit and they replaced the engine (who Knows what they sent as a replacement?) with all the same stuff that came in the original kit, I just rebuilt it out of the box from jump.
You can see the engine on my thread Ol' Blue under cruisers, it turned out beautiful! and since that incedence I just tear em down and re-build em from the get go.
Hope this helps? if not? there are a lot of smarts on this forum so just be patient and some one else will give some suggestions as well.

Attachments

Last edited:

Indianfan

May 31, 2012
Hungary
To Davidberg:

Next time maybe you should try one of those stable Csepel engines. I got together with Szakál, couple of days ago. He is also interested in BTR's. Long time motorbike builder. Couple of years ago he built Fürge with one of those engines.
http://artdecomotor.blogspot.hu/2010/04/furge.html
Lot of them available here, from 5.000-40.000 HUF. There is a source of 50 year old army surplus brand new engines, still wrapped in greasy paper. Parts also abundant. Not to mention, it's a true classic.

Indianfan

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Indianfan,

Thank you for posting photos of the bike. It's the work of a true master builder. Does he make mostly modern bikes or a mix of old and modern bikes?

You know that we would all like to know more about those wonderful engines and thier history and can they be shipped over here by whoever has them.

Thanks again.

Steve.

Indianfan

May 31, 2012
Hungary
He is a kinda old school guy, as you can see from the style of the bike. If I am not mistaken, he has been building and modifying bikes for 26 years now. Mainly big bike conversion, Harley, Indian etc. I managed to convince him to build motorized bikes, BTR's. Right now, he is on the move with his shop, so not much happening. Most likely we will team up and build bikes, frames, forks etc.

As far as the engines concerned, here is the short story: A guy named Weiss Manfred established a factory in Csepel, just outside Budapest in 1892. Over the years they built basically everything from engines, machinery, bikes etc. During VW1 it was one of the main ammo and military equipment supplier. The guy died in the 1920's but the factory remained in family's possession. After 1945 the communists confiscated everything in the country and their factory was no exception. So Csepel Művek was born with several satellite factories. They began making trucks (one of them still holding a world record from the 50's, climbing through the Himalaya), bicycle s, engines, basically continuing on the ruins of Weiss Manfred. Although machinery production from Eastern Europe was known for poor quality, Csepel was a surprising exemption. (I just bought a frame dated from 1948. The bearings still good, coaster hub still good, so just powder coated it and runs strong.)
The factory turned out the Csepel 125 motorbikes. The newer versions were called Pannónias. The models were P-10, P-20 and couple of others. One and two cyl engines. Proved to be so good, even exported a few hundred to the States. If you are lucky can find one there. Production ended in 1975. The engines installed in these bikes were used widely, called stable engines. Irrigation pumps, power generators, compressed air pumps, even in tractors and agricultural- military machinery of all kind. They were famous for simplicity, dependability. Basically indestructible. After 50-60 years many of them still operating.
If you guys want to see the mentioned bikes and engines, type in Csepel motorkerekpar, Csepel stabilmotor words and enjoy the pictures.
Of course the ones you see, equipped with stuff you do not need when installed in the frame. The end result will be like Fürge in my previous post.

As far as shipping to Canada and the US concerned, would be expensive. Probably for most, not worth it. An engine is around 25 lbs. Currently I am selling and sending fuel tanks to the US, 10 LBS, 80-90 USD shipping. However... we are looking into a possibility to find someone over there to distribute frames, parts, engines. That way we can use crates, containers to substantially lower unit costs.

Indianfan

davidberg

Dec 22, 2012
Hungary
Thank you guys for all the advices.

It turned out well, I was capable to manage it. Fortunately there's no cracks or leakage on the engine casting, nor the cover lids. All it was because someone in China couldn't take time to fasten the screws enough on the engine...

I unscrewed the clutch assy lid and cleaned the whole assembly. Then bought some gear oil (designed to use in manual or automatic transmissions), put some amount in it (ensuring the rotating clutch always lubricated by it) while the bike was in laid down position. The screw holes on the gasket was a bit out of center by factory, so I cut just 1mm for perfect alignment. Assembled back the whole thing, and tadaaa! The chain runs easier than before! Also I have some minor leak through the gasket, I'm planning to take the clutch completely apart, and make somebody custom manufacture all my gaskets (factory gaskets are made from something like leather...)

Anyway, if interested in details, I have my engine came with these things:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Motorized-Bicycle-Centrifugal-Clutch-Install/